Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LBJ Library Hat

g.durand

One Too Many
Meterman, I think you're probably right. Since HatCo now makes the hats branded as Stetson and Resistol (and Dobbs), I would guess these are just the standard HatCo issued "4X Open Road" hats with a Resistol sweatband instead of one that says Stetson, and with a different dye as gtdean says.

I bought one of the modern HatCo made Open Roads recently online and returned it after seeing the quality (or lack thereof). As a side note, HatCo is making an effort to rise to the quality level of vintage hats with a re-issue of the Stetson Stratoliner in what they are calling "Premier" and "Excellent" qualities.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I have a modern Stetson Open Road that is a year or two old and recently received the Resistol LBJ Library hat. Sadly, it seems all hatco did was put in a Resistol sweatband and liner. I don't think the dye blend on the silverbelly color is any different. They look the same to me. Here are some photos of both hats. The Resistol is on the right. The one difference to note is I th the leather quality of the Resistol sweatband is a bit nicer.

I haven't seen an OR clone offered by Resistol in years.
I'm sure to do this special order they slapped a Resistol liner & sweat in Stetson OR's coming off the production line.
The Stetson OR has been offered in 4X & 6X but gets the 5X from Resistol adding so much to the meaning of HatCo X's....

Last edited:

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I had a Stetson Open Road that was made in the early 60's, and it was nice and soft, not like today's with all the stiffener in them.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
The Resistol LBJ hat seems to have more stiffener in it than my modern Open Road, but that could be that the Open Road is a bit more broken in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy