Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather brand info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valerius

Banned
This is very baffling...He made two errors, I mentioned them. Why do you consider this provocation?

If you have little to add, why just try to pretend there is conflict? That is an example trolling, in my eyes.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I was all set to try and explain further, with some degree of knowledge gleaned from over a decade of being into this stuff and owning a bunch of jackets, but Valerius sure seems like a troll who just wants to stir up an argument. So I'm done.

Mods, you might want to shut down this thread...

Valerius

Banned
You are reacting emotionally not rationally. You made two factual errors and exaggerated sizing.

If you can prove to me where my assessment of your remarks is inaccurate, then I will apologize profusely. If not, then please stop pretending you are a knowledgeable consumer. Your decade of experience is not worth much if you do not know about the current slim cuts, and about military spec sizing

Sorry if you are hurt, but then again it is not my fault you do not have knowledge. If you are unable to explain why you made blatant factual errors and exaggerations then actually you owe me an apology for misleading someone seeking advice--I however do not want an apology just for you to behave in a civil manner.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The type of leather usually determines the durability. Not really correlated to price or quality.

Durability based on the type of leather is true only to an extent. The type of lining and the overall construction of the jacket is critical since the lining tends to wear faster than most leathers, and poorly constructed jackets can come apart very quickly.

schitzo

Suspended
Schitzo:

Well, why leave it to someone else to explain? If you are okay with making such a strong statement then you should be capable of explaining yourself--or else, your opinion is just anecdotal and not really worth much. So please keep your edifying tone to yourself.

Also, we were talking about cow hide and goatskin...not horse hides. Does Aero produce horse hides exclusively? In that case, you may be right, otherwise--rubbish post.

In terms of cow hide, the more expensive the leather the more fragile it is. Please, take time to consider if your next post will not be more of the same rubbish.

Valery I quite like you, you seem like a fun guy. Let me qualify it a bit for you. The quality of the finished product owes much to the tanning process. Better cuts of leather receive more attention at the tanning stage - and that makes them more expensive

Valerius

Banned
Hi Schitzo, thank you.

So am I to believe that Aero does the tanning for its own products? I thought these manufacturers simply buy their leathers from tanneries and then cut jackets...are you saying that some companies produce their own leather? And this is then a sign of quality?

And as a corollary, the more expensive brands like Vanson and Aero use leather that received lots of attention at the tanning stage? Does this justify their costs that are almost double...I doubt this but am open to your ideas.

Why would anyone care to offer anymore explanation and opinion to Valerius about leather or anything else for that matter...or attempt to 'prove' anything? With his snarky..scolding..insulting retorts...it's clear that he would rather lecture anyone who dares to provide answers/ideas than allow or appreciate any rational experienced discussion. If he's really so interested..we have a search feature which can easily expose the caliber of those here who do have experience with many makers of all types of leather jackets. However..if Valerius wants to be dismissed much sooner than later...attack some of the 'hat' expertise with that same attitude on this forum. lol

Valerius

Banned
If pointing out factual errors is scolding then you live differently than I...If it works for you then be happy, don't post self-righteous comments

I've come to realize that the people who come here to express their "outrage", really have little worth saying anyways. Perhaps you wear your flight jackets tight to the skin like spandex just as Doctor Strange suggested.

Cheers!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Fanch...this is a good start for me to understand quality.

What lining is preferable?

First of all, I am not an expert on jackets and can only tell you what I have seen and what I like. There are a number of FL members who have forgotten more about this than I will ever know. Thus far, I have acquired three Aero’s, with a couple more on order, and own three Gibson and Barnes jackets. A couple of years ago, I had an opportunity to visit the Gibson and Barnes factory in San Diego, and must have tried on everything in their store that was even close to my size.

Gibson & Barnes uses that they call “long-wearing polyester twill” lining in their G-1, A-2, Expedition (Indiana Jones), and AN-J-3 jackets; cotton lining in their “historic” A-2 Mark 41 and 43 jackets; and silk lining in their “historic” goatskin A-2 Mark 31 jacket. Gibson & Barnes uses nylon knits for some of their jackets, which I personally don’t care for, and wool knits for others. Should a zipper, lining, or knits need to be replaced, it would be relatively easy for me to ship a jacket to San Diego for repair. I will say that G&B produces fine products which are well made and will last for a long time.

For me the next step up was Aero. I am especially partial to Aero’s cotton drill lining that is very durable and “tough as nails.” For someone living in a more northern area than Texas, one of their various wool linings might be more appropriate than the cotton drill. As I recall, Aero will replace a worn out lining for one of their jackets for under $100, although the cost of shipping the jacket from the US to Scotland would far exceed the cost of replacing the lining. My impression is that Aero makes jackets that can be passed down to the next generation. I wish that I had the opportunity to spend a couple of days at Aero’s factory in Scotland as I did G&B’s factory in San Diego.

There are many wonderful companies that make jackets that I have never seen but can only describe my experience.

Valerius

Banned
I greatly appreciate your post Fanch...I have decided to buy a Gibson & Barnes or G1 from Alpha industries for myself and an Aero for my brother in law...I think he might appreciate the novelty of a horse hide.

If you have any ideas of alpha vs G&B, please do give me some ideas.

Have you posted pics of your Aero?

Thks again sir!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I greatly appreciate your post Fanch...I have decided to buy a Gibson & Barnes or G1 from Alpha industries for myself and an Aero for my brother in law...I think he might appreciate the novelty of a horse hide.

If you have any ideas of alpha vs G&B, please do give me some ideas.

Have you posted pics of your Aero?

Thks again sir!

I am unfamiliar with Alpha industries G-1, although their factory appears to be only 120 miles north of where I grew up. Like G&B, it appears that Alpha industries also provides jackets and gear to the US military. You might call both G&B and Alpha industries and ask both detailed questions regarding fit and also whether the knits on their G-1's are are nylon or wool (I greatly prefer wool). Don't R/O G&B's AN-J-3, which was my favorite of all of their jackets for reasons that are mostly intangible, even though I was issued a G-1 while I was in the US Navy. Anyhow, I am somewhat biased in favor of G&B over Alpha industries, which is an unfair comparison since my only experience with Alpha industries is looking at their website.

Which Aero are you considering? Below is a picture of a steerhide HWM that I picked up in June from Aero's sale page. Also is another picture of a goatskin HWM that was too large that I gave to my son and me wearing an Aero Bronco A-2. As a point of reference, I am almost 6'2" so you can imagine how the HWM that my son is wearing must have fit me.

2012-10-13172542.jpg

d5042f1e.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
First of all, I am not an expert on jackets and can only tell you what I have seen and what I like. There are a number of FL members who have forgotten more about this than I will ever know. Thus far, I have acquired three Aero’s, with a couple more on order, and own three Gibson and Barnes jackets. A couple of years ago, I had an opportunity to visit the Gibson and Barnes factory in San Diego, and must have tried on everything in their store that was even close to my size.

Gibson & Barnes uses that they call “long-wearing polyester twill” lining in their G-1, A-2, Expedition (Indiana Jones), and AN-J-3 jackets; cotton lining in their “historic” A-2 Mark 41 and 43 jackets; and silk lining in their “historic” goatskin A-2 Mark 31 jacket. Gibson & Barnes uses nylon knits for some of their jackets, which I personally don’t care for, and wool knits for others. Should a zipper, lining, or knits need to be replaced, it would be relatively easy for me to ship a jacket to San Diego for repair. I will say that G&B produces fine products which are well made and will last for a long time.

For me the next step up was Aero. I am especially partial to Aero’s cotton drill lining that is very durable and “tough as nails.” For someone living in a more northern area than Texas, one of their various wool linings might be more appropriate than the cotton drill. As I recall, Aero will replace a worn out lining for one of their jackets for under $100, although the cost of shipping the jacket from the US to Scotland would far exceed the cost of replacing the lining. My impression is that Aero makes jackets that can be passed down to the next generation. I wish that I had the opportunity to spend a couple of days at Aero’s factory in Scotland as I did G&B’s factory in San Diego.

There are many wonderful companies that make jackets that I have never seen but can only describe my experience.

Nicely done, Fanch, very patient and gentlemanly. *doffs cap*

Valerius

Banned
Those are handsome jackets fanch...I am probably going to get the highwayman Aero.

As the reference to gentlemanly beahviour, I think the reason I had any difficulty with the other posters was because they simply did not know what they were talking about but are pretending to. I do not appreciate people who give advice when they barely have evaluated their own ideas.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Those are handsome jackets fanch...I am probably going to get the highwayman Aero.

As the reference to gentlemanly beahviour, I think the reason I had any difficulty with the other posters was because they simply did not know what they were talking about but are pretending to. I do not appreciate people who give advice when they barely have evaluated their own ideas.

We forgive you. Now, go buy a nice leather jacket and post a pic. :)

Feraud

Bartender
Members were kind enough to reply based on their years of experience. The OP has enough info to make an informed decision if that is the goal.
We've had enough contention in this thread. Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles