Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Cafe Racer Jacket.

jon11

A-List Customer
Looking for an opinion re thoughts on whether a Cafe Racer type jacket RMC, Himel, Goodwear, Flathead, Aero and Eastmans etc are more suitable for lets say the younger member's of the Lounge as opposed to people like me who are more mature in age lets say 55 years upwards. I am talking for causal wear as opposed to motorcycle use. This has always been a burning question in my mind and probably has somewhat halted me going that path. Looking forward to hearing all thoughts and opinions.

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I think the first 4 brands you mention bridge the gap between casual and functional. Probably they are more casual due to the mid-weight leather. Ive seen pics of guys wearing cafe racers with khakis and it seems to work. I'm 43 and feel the same about getting too old for a cafe. Guess it helps if the jacket looks the same age.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
If you want to have a more modern silhouette for a cafe racer type of jacket, you should look for the Japanese brands as they offer slimmer cuts and tighter fits. If you use Lewis Leathers as an example, their "T"ight fit versions are usually sold as fashion cuts with narrower shoulders and slimmer sleeves. If money is not an object, then you can try to look for the fashion brands such as Belstaff, which occasionally makes some nice leather jackets. I have a Goodwood x Belstaff cafe which is as good as most brands that you mentioned, even though the colour may not be everybody's cup of tea though....

img-thing

Edited : I think I misunderstood the original post. I don't think you should confine your choice by your age. What's the problem anyway!

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Looking for an opinion re thoughts on whether a Cafe Racer type jacket RMC, Himel, Goodwear, Flathead, Aero and Eastmans etc are more suitable for lets say the younger member's of the Lounge as opposed to people like me who are more mature in age lets say 55 years upwards. I am talking for causal wear as opposed to motorcycle use. This has always been a burning question in my mind and probably has somewhat halted me going that path. Looking forward to hearing all thoughts and opinions.

I don't think it has to do with age, but more with body type. Cafe racer type jackets IMO work best on an athletic frame.
If you are a fit 55, any of the brands you mentioned will work, and IMO none of them are "real" motorcycle jackets.
If you are a barrel shaped 55, there are patterns out there that are far better suited to that kind of body type.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Generally speaking, I think Cafe Racers have a very "sportsman"ish vibe and I feel they look best on athletic, active people. These are not necessarily
age-related attributes, but in most cases, people become more laid back, less active and also less athletic with age. A mid 50s with beer belly whos only sport activity is watching the super bowl who squeezed himself into a Cafe Racer? I mean, anyone should wear what they like but that's not what I consider aging with grace and oozes a bit like midlife crisis. Same dude is probably buying a Harley next to take out every 2nd sunday to the local diner, or so I'd probably polemicly think to myself upon seeing him. He'd probably look much better in a more casual style.

However, if you are in your mid-50s and still spend the weekends hiking and go swimming three times a week, the Cafe Racer may look just right on you. Better than on a lot of younger people, actually.

tl;dr: CRs for athletic people with an active persons vibe, much about how you treat and hold yourself, not necessarily age related.

For a casual jacket, I'd personally always prefer a normal collar to a CR collar though, just for the more casual look. So if I was an athletic mid 50s, I'd probably go for something like the Sheene; nice tapered v-shaped body, but the casual collar and handwarmer pockets.

Well... It depends on the jacket, I'd say. Half the cafe racer jackets are just your everyday regular, baggy jackets with a mandarin collar slapped on. Most Harley Davidson CR's are like that, for instance. And everybody can wear a mandarin collar. So, for most folk, it'll just be a leather jacket that's basically without a collar. Mandarin collar doesn't give it a more sporty or whatever look by default. There's a difference between this...

tmj1223_02.jpg

and this:

5570H-3.jpg

...and it's not the collar.

That old Vanson @ton312 had was IMO so much more of a cafe racer jacket in spirit than most I've seen, even tho it had a classic collar.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree that it has more to do with body type than age. Different patterns suit different body types, a slim cut like a cafe racer suits a slimmer or more athletic frame while a boxier cut suits a more generously proportioned frame. Both can look good despite the age of the wearer imo.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
I agree that it has more to do with body type than age. Different patterns suit different body types, a slim cut like a cafe racer suits a slimmer or more athletic frame while a boxier cut suits a more generously proportioned frame. Both can look good despite the age of the wearer imo.

+1
I am over the magic number of age (50) and love to wear my Cafe Racers, Board Racers and Sheene as much as my Half Belts.

technovox

One Too Many
I agree with Carlos and the other posters. Theoretically speaking, it mostly comes down to how well the café jacket fits with one’s body shape, and not so much with the age.

But I have to wonder… past the age of fifty does anyone really care what I wear anyway? I’m practically invisible at this age. And compared to some of the outfits I see men wearing at the airport or out on the streets these days--a well made horsehide café racer would be the pinnacle of good taste and restraint, at any age. I say go ahead and order that café racer…and don’t worry about what others think. Not caring is part of the look.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My input would be to wear what you want, and you should care less what anyone else might think. We all have our preferences regardless of age. For my part, I have never been able to pull the trigger on a jacket with a mandarin collar, but if I did I would have little concern about what anyone else might think. So for now I go with a couple of Sheenes, which are Cafe Racers with standard (HWM) collars.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

This is it in a nutshell. Beware of dictums. There are some who would argue that men over 50 shouldn't wear leather no matter what the jacket. I've met a number of young women who hold this view. I actually think leather looks better on older men - the patina of the jacket matches the patina on the face. :D. Sometimes a leather jacket can look very self-conscious or inauthentic on young males - almost as if they haven't yet earned the look.

This is it in a nutshell. Beware of dictums. There are some who would argue that men over 50 shouldn't wear leather no matter what the jacket. I've met a number of young women who hold this view. I actually think leather looks better on older men - the patina of the jacket matches the patina on the face. :D. Sometimes a leather jacket can look very self-conscious or inauthentic on young males - almost as if they haven't yet earned the look.
Agreed! And (most) younger guys buy ill fitting jackets based on trends. I think taste levels vastly improve with age and you discover your style when you crest your 30's. Maybe around 35-40.
I also firmly believe that you are as old as you feel... If you feel old you are old.

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
Oh that's not me!! LOL. That dude owns restoration hardware! He probably has few if any worries so that also helps him carry it off.

Ok. I like the jacket. That dude looks the age though. I think if you are generalizing ,IMO,people of any age or gender should wear clothing that if flattering to their physique. I don't think you can get an answer to your question, without a leather to reference. I'm that age, and in better shape than a lot of men in their 30's. I feel bad for them, when I see what they are doing to themselves, and what they will be when they age. I am not that dude, but also don't feel invisible either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner