Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Cafe Racer Sizing Question

DBard1

New in Town
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and wanted to get some advice on sizing for a leather cafe racer I recently acquired. It's a Lucky Brand jacket and, while I know they're not high end by any means, I think it will suit my purposes for a comfortable fashion jacket (and, hey, it was free, so there's that). I don't think it's a terrible fit as I like to be able to wear a sweatshirt under it sometimes, but it feels a little boxy for my likes. I'm pretty skinny (5'8", 135) and usually wear a 36 in suit jackets. I'm researching reputable leather tailors in my area for possible alterations and I'm also considering Dena with Great Leather and Johnson's Leather in SF as they've been recommended a lot on the site.

Any thoughts on what I should take in to make it look more flattering/classic cafe racer? I'm slightly worried about shortening the length as I wouldn't want to compromise the stitching on the bottom, but I do kinda wish it was a bit shorter.

Greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Attachments

• Jacket1.jpg
    Jacket1.jpg
    1,008 KB · Views: 186
  • Jacket2.jpg
    Jacket2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 187
  • Jacket3.jpg
    Jacket3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • Jacket4.jpg
    Jacket4.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Jacket5.jpg
    Jacket5.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 192

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
alterations will cost you more than jacket and might not turn out well. If you were starting from scratch, sleeves could be about a half inch shorter and overall more tapered to the opening. Body could be more tapered as well to address some of the blousing in the mid section and back, as well as slightly big bottom hem. Nit picky stuff that 95% of people out there won't know the difference. Strongly suggest not to mess with it. If you like the style, try finding a size smaller and most of that will be addressed. You could also do the patented "shrinki" method. Get it soaking wet and hang in the hot sun. You'll shrink it about a half to full size, but it will put waves in the zipper and possibly make the lining sag a bit.

Yango

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket. Great price!

In my humble opinion, I think it fits you very well as is. The sleeves are fine, the shoulders are sitting pretty much where they should. The length looks good. (I’m not a fan of the skin tight, short sleeves and short length that so many on this forum love) The only thing I can see is it’s big in the chest/body.

If you want to layer a hoodie under the jacket, you should put it on for reference when you’re deciding what, if any alterations you want to do.

As my Dad used to say: measure twice, cut once.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
That fit is a 9 out of 10. Like myself, you aren't riding with it so you don't need it to be skin tight. I personally like a bit of space. I think it looks great on you. As others have mentioned though----this is a 2 pronged question almost-- because you are considering alterations. DON'T GO THERE (with this jacket). The change in fit and look will be nominal and the price will NOT be nominal. Just roll with it as is. Alterations just don't pencil out on every jacket IMO.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
The fit looks good, but now that you are on the Fedora Lounge you might as well save the money you were considering spending on alterations …. for the inevitable next jacket. This one will be a great base to take measurements from so that your first custom jacket knocks the fit right out of the park
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Don't tell him.......poor guy is already afflicted!!!!!!!!!! Like the subject jacket, the first DOSE is always free.......... ; )

DBard1

New in Town
Great advice! Will definitely help to create a more tapered look overall, I'm sure. Really appreciate it!

Yeah I think it looks good as is too, esp if you're wanting to wear an extra layer on occasion. Only one small piece of advice -- the sleeves/cuffs will look better I think if you zip them closed when wearing.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I think the jacket looks fine. However, if you're planning to keep it a permanent jacket, and you are truly unhappy with the sleeves, it would be an expensive alteration. I would not recommend it due to the price. However, if this jacket is a PERMANENT jacket and spending about 2 bills is no big deal, then do it. Dena is excellent. She will do a great job.

DBard1

New in Town
I think the jacket looks fine. However, if you're planning to keep it a permanent jacket, and you are truly unhappy with the sleeves, it would be an expensive alteration. I would not recommend it due to the price. However, if this jacket is a PERMANENT jacket and spending about 2 bills is no big deal, then do it. Dena is excellent. She will do a great job.
Great to know! I've heard a lot of great things about her on here, so glad to hear it's backed up. Not sure if it will be a permanent jacket or not, so think I may hold off on alterations and give it some thought. Glad to know what I'm up against price-wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff