Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LEATHER HATBOX UNVEILING. (With Pictures too!)

Magus

Practically Family
Well everyone…the wait is over. I want to say thanks for the encouragement from everyone and the offers support for the build. As I shared with some of you, I won’t let something leave my hands until I feel good about it and don’t expect others to fund my work, but the offers were and are sincerely appreciated.

NOTE: The leather is currently unstained. Should there be a buyer I wanted to offer them the choice of having custom tooling added, the shade of brown and the level of gloss to the finish. The case is lined with 1/8 melamine, and weights just over 6 lbs. I would feel very secure carrying it on any plane or placing it in any trunk with other luggage. You could check it, and it is strong but I wouldn’t endanger the tooling if it were me.

So here it is I call it The Manhattan. As you can see the top reflects the theme of skyscraper girders and has a leaning toward art deco. This frames a distance view of the 1940’s Manhattan skyline.

Top.jpg

Picture 2 shows the SOLID BRASS feet (yes I finally found some) and one of the two solid brass buckle assemblies.

Feet%20and%20Buckle.jpg

In this third picture you see the buckle assemble a bit closer, the design is based on the Chrysler Building.

Chrysler%20Tower%20Buckle.jpg

The handle is shown in picture four. It is very sturdy, hand made and cased, and fits nicely into your hand.

Handle.jpg

Pictures five and six give us the pleated and padded satin lined interior of the body and the smooth padded interior of the top.

Inside%20body.jpg

Inside%20Top.jpg

Lastly we see the bottom. No feet are placed here so that it may be stacked on another leather case without damaging it.

Bottom.jpg

PLEASE feel free to post comments or questions. PM me if you wish this one…or want to order one.

Thanks for your patience,

My best,
M

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Ooh! I like it. I'd be nervous actually using something like that. It's too nice. I'd be afraid of messing it up.

Magus

Practically Family
TommySalieri said:
WOW. I wouldn't mind having one of these for my favorite hat. What is your estimate on the price for both boxes?

What is shown is actually one box and its lid. This one stained and finished would be about $300 plus shipping.

M

Magus

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Ooh! I like it. I'd be nervous actually using something like that. It's too nice. I'd be afraid of messing it up.

Well its 1/8" thick skirting leather so you will have a HARD tome messing it up. I can do one for ya with no tooling that you wouldn't ahve to be cautious about though if you wish.

Magus

Practically Family
epic610 said:
will it fit into the overhead compartment on a plane?

Yes, I believe so. The measurments on this one are 15.5"X 15.5"X8. Plus this one accomadates a 3"+ brimmed hat. Should you wish a smaller one each one is virtually custom made so doing that would be "do-able".

M

Razzman

One Too Many
Very impressive. Well thought out. Nice touch with the leather and the intricate tooling. A piece that will, protect the hat it stores and last a lifetime. A piece that could be handed down. :eusa_clap
Congratulations on a job well done. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Magus

Practically Family
Thanks....

Thanks everyone for the great comments and encouragement and the suggestions (recieved in private). They are all apreciated. I may just keep this one since its #1 and start another right away. But as my dad told me, "Nearly everything is for sale if the price is high enough!" I plan on this being a limited and numbered "run"... I have another solid design plan set and a third stirring around the back of my mind. Then there is that crazy Stratoliner thing I came up with....gotta puzzle out that one someday.

Now....if I can sell a couple to pay for the materials I bought to make them...;) Then I can start saving for that Art F. Special.

M

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
the work shows your talent Magus. Let me be the first to publically order one. Your price is more than fair and the design is terrific. I'll email with particulars.
Bravo!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24