Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Hatboxes....

Magus

Practically Family
Ok Folks…I have been doing custom leatherwork for about 10 years or so now…mostly for enjoyment, some for sale. I am considering making a leather hatbox…or two…three…whatever. And have a few questions:

Is that something that appeals to you?

What style would you rather see? Round? Octagon? Square? Or…?

6-8 oz leather shoulder cuts are fairly sturdy and would be suitable for most situations but would reinforcing be desired?

Understand that I work by hand and frankly couldn’t charge enough for one to make it “worth my time” because stitching and tooling are just slow work. But depending on the answers and ideas…who knows? I will definitely be making one for myself.

Thanks for the thoughts.

M

I might be interested in a square, hard-sided, leather-covered hatbox that could also carry a few other items for travel (socks, boxer shorts, coupla pounds of C-notes, etc.) in what would otherwise be "dead" space. But I imagine that such an item, built to withstand the rigors of the road, wouldn't come cheap. Whaddya think?

Magus

Practically Family
tonyb said:
I might be interested in a square, hard-sided, leather-covered hatbox that could also carry a few other items for travel (socks, boxer shorts, coupla pounds of C-notes, etc.) in what would otherwise be "dead" space. But I imagine that such an item, built to withstand the rigors of the road, wouldn't come cheap. Whaddya think?

Hi Tony. I have been thinking about the "dead space" in a hat box myself. But since I am not a cabnitry builder I am having difficulity figuring a way to make that area secure enough to not effect the hat...and be accessable...as far as the rigors of the road...i believe that I might have a very durable design figured out. I am going to start on a prototype today...so I will let ya know.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24