Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket length and untucked shirts..

Yeah, let's just... not judge people on how they're dressed. It is a sociopathic thing to do. There's a different reason behind everything people do.

It's a good look for women, shirt that's tucked in, that is. White shirt, black skirt... Oh boy.

Edward

Bartender
So, yesterday I grabbed my wife's 250cc scooter, donned a brown horsehide D-pocket, and rode to one of Oklahoma's Route 66 "must visit" travel stops. I'm 53 and don't remember if my shirt was tucked in or not: I'm so confused on how I should be dressing...........and whether riding a scooter should affect these choices......

Scooters are for mods, not men. ;) lol :p

IXL

One Too Many
Scooters are for mods, not men. ;) lol :p

Gosh Darn It!!! I just knew I should have taken the Harley-Davidson Road King Classic. Would that have been tucked, or untucked? I mean, with the Harley and all I'm just not sure......

schitzo

Suspended
I

Yet another pejorative and disrespectful statement about people who elect not to tuck in shirts with jeans. Now, we are not only trying to relive our youth, and seeking to project a rebellious image, but we are also “lazy slobs who [don’t] care how [we] look.” Why do you feel the need to be so overtly hostile and demeaning simply because someone elects not to tuck in their shirt? Are you really that insecure that you need to disparage others in order to exalt yourself? Tucking in your shirt for business purposes will not overcome the negative consequences of your palpable insecurity, coupled with your disrespectful demeanor. Consider focusing less on how you look/dress, and more on your conduct and interpersonal skills.

"Just a counter-point."

If I may jump in here, I'd just like to add that although I don't know about prior to this point - I haven't followed all of this - post #195 reads to me like a guy playing devil's advocate and no more. Now quite possibly you aren't interested in hearing the other side of this particular coin but to be frank, this retaliatory post of yours reads like something my gf might come out with as the wrong time of the month approaches.

To advise Big J to focus on his conduct and interpersonal skills seems to me a trifle hostile, demeaning, pejorative, and disrespectful, no?

Perhaps you're having a bad day.

Alternatively, it could be that BJ has done a really good job of winding you guys up pre #195 and that you just gave him exactly what he wants

Edward

Bartender
Gosh Darn It!!! I just knew I should have taken the Harley-Davidson Road King Classic. Would that have been tucked, or untucked? I mean, with the Harley and all I'm just not sure......

:lol: A Harley? Well.... if that's how yer midlife crisis plays out.... ( I'm only yankin' yer chain, just in case that wasn't obvious enough in the first post.... ;) )

Shirtwise, though, if you're doing the Mod thing with the scooter, then it;s obviously tucked in. Mods were always very fussy about that sort of thing. ;)

I'd always rather a 350cc Bullet for a bike, but an electricity-powered Vespa would be a very practical runabout here in London. Sadly our roads are too much a deathtrap to seriously consider either for now.

Edward, you've already mentioned UK roads being a mess but how bad can it really be? Where I am, half my time on a motorcycle is spent riding over dirt and gravel, and that's just when I'm going to work.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, you've already mentioned UK roads being a mess but how bad can it really be? Where I am, half my time on a motorcycle is spent riding over dirt and gravel, and that's just when I'm going to work.

It's not the roads themselves here in London, it's the idiots driving on them.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's not the roads themselves here in London, it's the idiots driving on them.

I lived in London for 6 years....believe me, the roads are heaven and the drivers angels compared to Sydney. For such a laid back city and people, they sure turn ugly and angry as soon as they jump in a car here. Sometimes its just not worth the stress taking my Duc out, the car is so much safer.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
'Why can't it simply be a matter of what feels most comfortable?'

Because I have to worry about what other people think of me, because I care about the effect that has on my work, my wife's business, our income, our access to the good things in life that we get from having connections, and introductions.

'I, for one, have no desire to relive my youth, nor to "cling to my 20s," nor to be a "rebel."'

Neither do I, but that's not enough. For the reasons I mentioned above, I have to make sure that others know it too.

'Interestingly, in the above thread, those who elect to wear their shirts untucked with jeans are not posting negative references about those who tuck in their shirts. To the contrary, the majority of those who wear their shirts untucked have politely and respectfully posted their preference, without commenting negatively about those who proceed otherwise. Perhaps this is consistent with the more casual, live and let live approach espoused by many who wear their shirts untucked with jeans.'

Maybe, or perhaps the kind of people who are too lazy to tuck their shirts in, and don't care enough about how bad they look to others, are just too lazy, and don't care enough, to put up a strong case for their point of view? Maybe untucked shirts really are indicative of a lazy slob who doesn't care how bad he looks to others, because he will never value their opinions, because he's like some kind of a rebel in his own mind?

Just a counter-point.

Hmm. Well, I for one don't generally like the look of tucked in shirts. Which is why I've not tucked mine in for decades. But I wear black (mostly) and my shirts are never very long - so some effort is put into this. For me personal taste and the freedom to have it deals with the shirt question - amongst others.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now quite possibly you aren't interested in hearing the other side of this particular coin

I welcome hearing about “the other side of this particular coin” and, while I may proceed differently, I have not criticized anyone here for tucking in their shirt with jeans. The issue here is no longer the two sides of the coin, and the reasons for or against tucking in one’s shirt. Rather, the current issue is respectful discourse. When you suggest that one who does not tuck in his shirt is immature, trying to relive his youth, projecting a false image of rebellion, or worst of all, a “lazy slob,” you are no longer addressing the two sides of the coin. To the contrary, you are now disparaging those who disagree with you, and that is not respectful discourse. My comments were not directed at BJ’s position regarding whether to tuck in his shirt, but rather, his disparaging comments directed at me. One does not need to call those who disagree “lazy slobs” in order to play Devil’s Advocate.

To advise Big J to focus on his conduct and interpersonal skills seems to me a trifle hostile, demeaning, pejorative, and disrespectful, no?

Point taken. To the extent that I inappropriately and/or undeservedly disparaged BJ, I apologize. I do not take kindly to being labeled a “lazy slob,” nor the other derogatory comments proffered by BJ, but that does not warrant a disrespectful response. My sincere apologies.

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
Tucking in one's shirt (even in jeans) can be a pretty cool as well as casual look if done with a certain style.

IXL

One Too Many
Okay, now that that's settled we can get on the the really important issue: should one dress "left," or "right?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn