Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket length and untucked shirts..

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The guy in the peaked cap appears to be wearing your Rockafella, Rudie.

That's what I thought when I saw it!

Brilliant photos Che. These days it's supposed to be that the notion of 'looking cool' is subjective according to one's own personal taste, but I'm gonna state unequivocally that the last photo shows 'cool' personified. That is IT.

Flat Foot Floey

Don't tuck it in, it looks great and current style any age unless your belly is 52 inches.

what does the belly size have to do with tucked in shirts? Men with big bellies usually don't tuck. Don't twist the facts. I guess you wanted to make tucked in shirts look uncool (for fat old dudes) but it doesn't work this way.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Comes with age.

I say this because I just landed a "dress shirt and slacks" job. Given I stay employed, this will be my daily attire for years to come. The tucked in look is growing on me. I can also get away with shorter jacket lengths.
Tucked in with jeans isn't my style, though that could change in time.

Last edited:
I've began tucking my shirts in not long ago, regardless of the trousers I'm wearing as the look also grew on me. I've realized that my age is making it look right on me.

Congratulations on the job and my condolences on the office dress code.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I've began tucking my shirts in not long ago, regardless of the trousers I'm wearing as the look also grew on me. I've realized that my age is making it look right on me.

Yeah, me too. You get to that point where you don't look like a carefree teenage surfer (or whatever), and just look like a scruffy old man. I'm not a body builder or anything, but I'm half the weight of the guys I went to high school with, so I got nothing to be ashamed of.

nick123

I'll Lock Up

Thanks!

I actually feel very comfortable in the look. Nice to not look like a slob for once. Might get a few pairs of Bill's Khakis when I finally crawl out of debt!

Big J, ditto. And yeah, I'm all for wear what you want and all that, but seeing those 35+ years old skaters, for example... It's cool but if you and your 20 years younger kid brother are browsing clothes in the same aisle... It's time to let go.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
No one looks good in the clothes they were wearing 20 years ago. Dress for the person you are, or at least want to be, not the one you were once. Unless of course aged 15, you were wearing an A-2, Japanese denim and Red Wings, in which case, hats off, you're the man!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
No one looks good in the clothes they were wearing 20 years ago. Dress for the person you are, or at least want to be, not the one you were once. Unless of course aged 15, you were wearing an A-2, Japanese denim and Red Wings, in which case, hats off, you're the man!

The person you want to be.

That's some good advice right there.

Superfluous

^ Interesting observations guys. I, personally, do not dress anything like I did twenty years ago. To the contrary, I have become much more casual as I get older. Twenty years ago, I cultivated a first rate collection of suits, dress shirts and ties. Today, I prefer jeans and t-shirts. I guess my point is that, while I agree that one should not endeavor to dress as they did twenty years ago, that does not necessarily lead to a more conservative look characterized by tucked in casual shirts. Sometimes, the exact opposite occurs.

Live and let live. If some feel more comfortable with their shirt untucked, there is no need to suggest that they are trying to relive their youth, nor that maturity will likely change their ways. There are plenty of well-adjusted 40-50 something guys who, for any number of reasons, elect to untuck their shirts. Others prefer to tuck their shirt in. Some used to wear their shirts untucked, but have had a change of heart over time. Others used to tuck in their shirt, but moved in a different direction over time. No correct approach here. Whatever feels right to you and is most comfortable.

Wise indeed. And frankly, I don't think I ever notice if someone has tucked their shirt in or not. Both is perfectly cool and neither makes you something else. There are, however, clothes that become off limits with time, no matter how young you feel. The person you want and can be, I would like to add.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace