Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jackets colours...

Aero was also offering a fantastic looking red cowhide CR! I was seriously considering it but I guess they used up all the hide as it's gone from the size.

1379754177-3735416243.jpg

1379754180-3044984742.jpg

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
Women can rock jackets like that. My former boss used to wear something similar in an almost electric blue and she wore it well.

Edward

Bartender
It puts me in mind of a 70s era Lewis; especially around 1978, Lewis were offering their jackets, mainly Monza styles by that point, in bright blue, canary yellow, bright orange.... Selling it as a safety feature, claiming increased visibility on the road.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It puts me in mind of a 70s era Lewis; especially around 1978, Lewis were offering their jackets, mainly Monza styles by that point, in bright blue, canary yellow, bright orange.... Selling it as a safety feature, claiming increased visibility on the road.
Reminds me of when Ralph Lauren stopped sewing chest pockets on shirts: he claimed that he did it because he wanted people to stop smoking.

red devil

I hate to be the killjoy but, IMHO, primary and secondary color jackets look more fashion oriented. They are also too bright, and attract too much attention, for my taste. I prefer leather jackets that are more subdued and blend in, as opposed to snapping the necks of anyone within eyesight.

You're definitely not a killjoy, I am curious to hear everybody's opinion on this, and speaking of which... Not all other colours are bright or attention grabbing, would you wear dark grey or navy blue?

Separately, brown and black leather jackets are much easier to match with clothing and, therefore, have greater utility.

I personally found Burgundy or Cordovan to be more versatile than brown, hence the reason I chose engineer boots of this colour. Do you own any Burgundy jackets or shoes?

I recently debated colored jackets with Dave Himel. Notwithstanding that his current jackets are all brown, black or white, he advocates colored jackets and plans to offer colored leather in the future. He confirms that colored leather has historical origins.

Very curious to see what he comes up with :D

The bottom line is that I am not there . . . yet. For the time being, I am sticking with different shades of brown and black. If you see someone walking down the street in a bright green leather jacket -- and snap you neck to take a gander -- it ain't me.

Not you for now... as you said. Same as we learn to expand our jacket budget with time, so do we our horizons ;)

Glad to see a mention of cordovan. I have a niece who is an attorney and requested a briefcase or attache in that color. Her reasoning was that it would be appropriate with whatever color of business attire that she wore. And she was right, she uses it almost daily and she always looks great. I have a 3/4 length Gordon & Ferguson in the same color.

It has been my experience as well, Cordovan and burgundy can work with any colour I can think of :)

I'd also very much consider a green jacket in the hue monitor posted - I'd love to see that in a Perfecto style, or perhaps an A2.

I can certainly see that shade of green in a Perfecto style, and it shouldn't be difficult to match to the rest of an outfit, as it's quite a versatile colour when you think about it.

I do tend to match leathers, thought with a blue jacket I suspect I'd just stick to black. Green would work with either brown or black in the right shade. Always liked that shade of green you commonly see in 30s-50s long, leather overcoats made in Germany.

I think blue can pretty much go with everything, can it not?

red devil

Aero was also offering a fantastic looking red cowhide CR! I was seriously considering it but I guess they used up all the hide as it's gone from the size.

1379754177-3735416243.jpg

1379754180-3044984742.jpg

Wow! Now that is a stunning red jacket :eek:
I would wear it. Easily. Everyday. :)
Do you know from where that leather comes from? Is it horween?

red devil

I've a nice green leather jacket that I wear fairly often and it NEVER fails to draw notice and compliments. If you look up my posts you'll find it here somewhere. I'm having Carrie make me another now in Olive. Vive le difference I say.

Worf

Any pics? :D

Wow! Now that is a stunning red jacket :eek:
I would wear it. Easily. Everyday. :)
Do you know from where that leather comes from? Is it horween?

It wasn't Horween, but I honestly don't remember what it was. I think the site said they've discovered it in the factory or something, and made a limited edition of red CR's. It's really sweet.

I went thru a colored leathers phase. Mainly Brimaco jackets in British racing green, royal blue, burnt orange and one dark red/purplish. Also had some Bates CR jackets with color yellow and black, blue and white. They are fun to wear but as I've gotten a bit older the confidence began to wane. Ironically, probably the best fitting jacket I ever owned was that bright blue Brimaco but I just didn't have the sand to wear it regularly.

IMG_7094.JPG

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As far as the red leather goes, I think that was a hangover from Will's days: he used to buy/receive a stack of hides and never use it, so when Ken and co came back, they had a bit of a clear out. I was a beneficiary of Will's odd policy as Ken made up the test pattern Dust Bowl that I own using some Shinki he found in the store.
Personally, I'd take the approach of sticking to brown or black for your first, then widening out to russet and cordovan, and then after that the skies the limit. I'd certainly consider a petrol blue or something similar, but it would need to be the right jacket.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I think you could safely go with the Aero Midnight Blue. It is really a blue based black and gives a classic look while being just a bit different.

I am wondering...being colorblind...if the blue cast is enough to match it with brown shoes? That would make it the most versatile jacket.

IMG_7095.JPG
@Ton123 has the most amazing Horween green/blue/black leather jacket!
It's impossible to capture! I've tried. Had it thrown on the front seat of my truck the other day and it looked so green. The midnight blue CXL is truly a deeeep evergreen.

I think you could safely go with the Aero Midnight Blue. It is really a blue based black and gives a classic look while being just a bit different.

I am wondering...being colorblind...if the blue cast is enough to match it with brown shoes? That would make it the most versatile jacket.
I think it could easily match any color shoe. It has chameleon like qualities and it absorbs the colors around it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner