Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
0406171331b~3~2-01.jpeg
0313180950-01.jpeg
0402181354-01.jpeg

A few shots of my Aero CHiPs. Next to my Lost Worlds J-100 this is my favorite, especially if judged by frequency of use.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Glad to see this thread revived, because I didn't know it existed!

I've got a couple police jackets. The first is a German steerhide jacket from 1979. Made in Hamburg by Werner Roth KG. It's seriously well-built and has some lovely graining. Anyone know what those brass clip fasteners on the short elastic straps in the lower pocket are meant to hold?

1-jpg.139256

3-jpg.139258

My other police jacket is a Canadian example. Made in Toronto by Outdoor Outfits Ltd., which is still in business. Elastic sides and just the single chest pocket with pen slot. Lined in wool but no interior pocket. Single-button cuffs with storm cuffs inside. Talon zipper also marked LF (for Lightning Fasteners), with a pull on the left-hand (Canadian) side. A single patch removed from each shoulder sleeve. I like the simple, utilitarian design. The design leads me to guess it's from the 1970s.

1-jpg.138580

2-jpg.138581

5-jpg.138584

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^^ Outdoor Outfits is indeed still in business and I've visited their place a couple times, the first time in c1997 and the second time in 2016. It's in Toronto's core, although what was (the first time I visited) a commercial / industrial area has now (the second time I visited) become a hipster / posh gentrified area. They've removed the leather jackets from their website so I assume they've stopped making leather jackets, except for the OPP which still wear them on their motorcycles (and I think the Metro Toronto motorcycle riders might still). I doubt there's much demand for leather jackets beyond local police forces so they've focused on their cloth models. Extremely solid, extremely well made jackets no question. You're lucky to have one Gamma!

Gamma68

One Too Many
^^ Outdoor Outfits is indeed still in business and I've visited their place a couple times, the first time in c1997 and the second time in 2016. It's in Toronto's core, although what was (the first time I visited) a commercial / industrial area has now (the second time I visited) become a hipster / posh gentrified area. They've removed the leather jackets from their website so I assume they've stopped making leather jackets, except for the OPP which still wear them on their motorcycles (and I think the Metro Toronto motorcycle riders might still). I doubt there's much demand for leather jackets beyond local police forces so they've focused on their cloth models. Extremely solid, extremely well made jackets no question. You're lucky to have one Gamma!

Thanks for the info., DD. I'm glad you saw my post and replied, knowing that you're Canadian.

Any idea what sort of duty the policeman who had my Outdoor Outfits jacket might have performed? That pocket next to the slim pen pocket seems like it would have held a ticket book. (To give you an idea of its size, the pocket is the perfect size for holding an iPhone 6.) The leather isn't all that thick and the jacket is long enough to cover my belt, so I'm not sure if it was designed for a motorcycle cop.

Patches have been removed from both upper sleeves. The outline seems to match this patch, although I'll probably never know for sure which department this jacket came from. I guessed Windsor only because of its proximity to the Detroit area.

Windsor-Police-Ontario-HTF-Vintage-Uniform-Shoulder-Patch-Canada.jpg

I do know this jacket is no older than 1972, because that's when Outdoor Outfits moved to the address listed on the tag.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately I know nothing about historic Canadian police uniforms* but your guess of Windsor probably makes sense. We know that in the US non-mounted policemen often wore leather jackets in the 1950s through 1970s (NYPD comes to mind), so the same "fashions" probably applied to Canada as well. On the other hand, Outdoor Outfits used to supply US police forces (particularly Chicago PD, they show up on e-bay regularly), so maybe your jacket really was worn by a US cop.

Nowadays, of course, non-mounted police wear high-tech synthetic materials, etc, which Outdoor Outfits makes (their Pro-Tex line, which I see the police wearing all the time around here, over top their bullet vests).

Here's a video by a Canadian comedian hamming it up with the OPP Golden Helmets. These jackets are by Outdoor Outfits. Note the matte finish, the extra-long tapered sleeves with long wrist zips, and the odd snap-down collars like on A-2 jackets.

* The OPP used to wear for patrol a brown copy of the RCMP full-dress uniform, complete with Sam Browne belt!

blackcat1369

New in Town
Hi, I am trying to avoid the ultimate mistake of a newbie and asking the same question the 100th time, but one needs to start somewhere. And I've not seen anything on police uniform jackets atleast recently.

OK, so I am in the process of getting a jacket, or two actually if I can't combine. I'd like a lightweight "summer jacket" and then a "winter/motorbike" jacket which of course I would love to get one good or then two not so good. Like my B-6 is warm but I can't drive my car nor fit anything underneath it... Or I could take two cheap ones or just go on with my peacoat-style I found offchance. My problem is that I am, apart from big and hairy also living in Finland which makes buying off "clean-shaved yankees" about as much fun as you guys seem to have trouble buying off us "rude jerries" overseas. Please note when I get reamed in Customs its 22%VAT... So the same "caveat emptor" is Global and boy am I glad to have found this forum. Help, pretty please!

So then, I've always loved the A-2/G-1 (must be the Golden Monkey and Black Sheep I was glued watching as a kid) and then of course the "Indy" style. However as I am from a place where you dress in layers and need to move around too (and I'm 6ft 3 and have a long back) and want something "towards there" that won't walk at me on the street I think I've found "my style" which is the "Chicago Police" uniform jacket. Well, I want one without the big buttons and looking so glitzy, but then we come to the problem of size and availability.

I wear size 50L these days, 44 waist... OK, so a 48L with a 42 waist is probably what a tailor would fit me, but I want to turn inside out in my clothes, and though I have some tailored suits anything off the rack needs to be comfy. However it seems, if I buy a XXL it is some "childrens size" 46. So then I buy a 4XL and it is made for a bloke who is wider than tall with short arms, so I got a short-sleeved tent on... So 60L sleeves on a 50 chest with 65L length, as I don't wear my jeans to my armpits, but I hate the cold air coming in that way when I drive the motorcycle...

Now I've been looking at the jackets made by Taylors'... problem is that they all seem to ride a bit high... but is a size 50 tight or not? Anyone? And then I don't know if say Nate's uniforms in Chicago would/could do a tailored one... or communicate with a weird foreigner.

So what is it you knowledgeable gentlemen suggest. Anyone "in the know" about police jackets (esp. Taylor's sizing). I'm a bit apprehensive of shelling out say 500$ for something "tailored" for someone else (and get reamed in the customs) and end up with a paper-thin "subtle leather" when I wanted something off a bulletproof cow. And I know the "uniform" stuff is generally "for the wear" - like (Schott's?) NYPD 3/4coats I wish I had the money for when I was on that side of the pond. Or should I go after say a Cooper 58L G-1 and try tuck in the excess tent and wear it sleeves looking rolled up...

I actually have a "Chicago Style" , might be goatskin, fake that is "my size" if I want a tight summer jacket, would be perfect A2 size with the ribbings added to it; but if I want a winter one, that'd need space for say a shearling vest underneath...

Rambling off. I'll post a few pics so you know what I mean.

Here’s my two cents worth... I own a Taylor’s Chicago Police jacket. It’s beautifully made, and will keep you warm. however... mine seemed to run a touch small and they are cut short because the jacket is designed to sit at the waist without interfering with your duty belt. They are available in a long, which is roughly 2 inches longer than the regular cut... and had I known that when I ordered mine I’d have a jacket that I’d wear more than once every couple years!! The people at Taylor’s are super nice and really take pride in their work. In fact when I called, it was the owner who picked up the phone and helped me with the issue I was having... the issue being the licensed retailer I went through not knowing anything about the product. Taylor’s was great to deal with once the middleman was out of the picture!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here’s my two cents worth... I own a Taylor’s Chicago Police jacket. It’s beautifully made, and will keep you warm. however... mine seemed to run a touch small and they are cut short because the jacket is designed to sit at the waist without interfering with your duty belt. They are available in a long, which is roughly 2 inches longer than the regular cut... and had I known that when I ordered mine I’d have a jacket that I’d wear more than once every couple years!! The people at Taylor’s are super nice and really take pride in their work. In fact when I called, it was the owner who picked up the phone and helped me with the issue I was having... the issue being the licensed retailer I went through not knowing anything about the product. Taylor’s was great to deal with once the middleman was out of the picture!
The nice thing about the Chicago style is that it has permanent insulation throughout the whole jacket and doesn't have the zippers on the side for duty belt access, so it's the most practical and "closed up" of the short police jackets. And the cuffs are normal cuffs like you'd get on an overcoat, not motorcycle cuffs with zippers, so it's a different look than the typical ubiquitous motorcycle jacket (like a Schott).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As I think I already mentioned here, I got a Taylor's Chicago model on sale at this time last year.

I got an XL Long because there were no Regulars available, and I'm really glad to have the extra body length... but being only 5'8" I needed FOUR inches taken off the sleeves. Because the sleeves don't have zips, it doesn't look weird! It's a very warm jacket, solidly made and excellent for the price, with five(!) interior pockets.

TaylorChicago2.jpg TaylorChicago5.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
My Chicago (?) PD coat, thick wool twill and storm cuff.
That's not CPD style, or at least I've never seen photos (old or new) of that style being worn on CPD officers. Those pockets and the yoke resemble civilian/airline pilot's jackets. Whatever it is, it looks like an amazing coat!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
As I think I already mentioned here, I got a Taylor's Chicago model on sale at this time last year.

I got an XL Long because there were no Regulars available, and I'm really glad to have the extra body length... but being only 5'8" I needed FOUR inches taken off the sleeves. Because the sleeves don't have zips, it doesn't look weird! It's a very warm jacket, solidly made and excellent for the price, with five(!) interior pockets.

View attachment 149747 View attachment 149748
Looks like a really great jacket, Doc Strange. I think I posted already that I remember reading a memoir (online blog, actually) from a retired CPD constable who said in the 1970s(?) his sergeant called him up and told him to get on duty asap, and bring your leather jacket. The constable said it's summer why do I need the leather jacket? His sergeant explained that leather is good protection from flying bottles... So he knew he'd be helping with the riots.

Edward

Bartender
I've got a couple police jackets. The first is a German steerhide jacket from 1979. Made in Hamburg by Werner Roth KG. It's seriously well-built and has some lovely graining. Anyone know what those brass clip fasteners on the short elastic straps in the lower pocket are meant to hold?

1-jpg.139256

3-jpg.139258

This exactly the jacket I have. I believe the hooks under the right hand pocket flap connected to the officer's holster for ease of access to a pistol (at least for armed officers - I don't know if that is the standard in Germany or not). Mine is labelled 1978 and was definitely worn. Still very nice condition, but less 'new looking' than this. When it arrived I realised it was not big enough for over a blazer, as planned, but I might try wearing it in the Spring as an alternative to a shorter leather.

I've also just over the weekend accidentally bought a Taylor on eBay - one of the short, Chicago style models. I was unsure when I looked at it (mainly the small bits of leather-covered elastic at the sides....), but put in an offer that I was sure would be turned down, and... er.... it wasn't. It's supposedly 1960s, and labelled a size 44; if it doesn't fit me, I'll probably offer it on here.

Windward

Practically Family
Glad to see this thread revived, because I didn't know it existed!

1-jpg.139256

3-jpg.139258

My other police jacket is a Canadian example. Made in Toronto by Outdoor Outfits Ltd., which is still in business. Elastic sides and just the single chest pocket with pen slot. Lined in wool but no interior pocket. Single-button cuffs with storm cuffs inside. Talon zipper also marked LF (for Lightning Fasteners), with a pull on the left-hand (Canadian) side. A single patch removed from each shoulder sleeve. I like the simple, utilitarian design. The design leads me to guess it's from the 1970s.

1-jpg.138580

2-jpg.138581

5-jpg.138584

The brass clip fasteners in the lower pocket are meant to hold handcuff key and prison cell key?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21