Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather thickness and aging potential

livioli

Familiar Face
Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying the Leon custom jacket from Fine Creek. They offer the 1.3mm, 1,5mm, and the classic 1.8mm (out of stock), but I'm not sure which one to take. I need a timeless jacket that I can wear as much as possible all year round so it mustn't be too thick. At the same time, I feel like thicker jackets age better/more beautifully. What's your stance on this?

In other words: If I could only buy one jacket, what do you think is the perfect thickness/weight?

Many thanks,
Livio

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
1.8mm is just getting started.
Just dig around in these forums some.

I would give a nice, close look to Lost Worlds, Johnson Leathers, or Langlitz instead - and probably wind up with a higher quality piece for less investment, made to order.

livioli

Familiar Face
1.8mm is just getting started.
Just dig around in these forums some.

I would give a nice, close look to Lost Worlds, Johnson Leathers, or Langlitz instead - and probably wind up with a higher quality piece for less investment, made to order.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

Just to clarify, 1.8mm isn't too thick in your opinion? (This is my first proper leather jacket btw.)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
For your everyday jacket I would strongly advise against a heavyweight one. I have them and I hardly wear them. They're comfortable when wearing but a pain to carry around. Start carrying a 10lb weight plate in your back pack for a few days and you will get the feeling.

Heavyweight jacket makes a fun second jacket, not the main one imo. There are lots of 2mm / 5oz heavy cowhide motorcycle jackets for not a lot of money.

livioli

Familiar Face
For your everyday jacket I would strongly advise against a heavyweight one. I have them and I hardly wear them. They're comfortable when wearing but a pain to carry around. Start carrying a 10lb weight plate in your back pack for a few days and you will get the feeling.

Heavyweight jacket makes a fun second jacket, not the main one imo. There are lots of 2mm / 5oz heavy cowhide motorcycle jackets for not a lot of money.
Thanks for the advice! Would you say 1.5mm is okay for an everyday jacket?

livioli

Familiar Face
Tbh even 1.5mm is pretty hefty.

I would strongly recommend that you consider the Schott 613SH. I find it nicer than the Leon Custom in every respect (leather, pattern, etc) and as a bonus it's ½ the price.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Personally I'd aim for 1.1-1.3mm for stiff leather and 1.3-1.6mm for supple leather. But I have very little experience and this is a very subjective matter.

Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying the Leon custom jacket from Fine Creek. They offer the 1.3mm, 1,5mm, and the classic 1.8mm (out of stock), but I'm not sure which one to take. I need a timeless jacket that I can wear as much as possible all year round so it mustn't be too thick. At the same time, I feel like thicker jackets age better/more beautifully. What's your stance on this?

In other words: If I could only buy one jacket, what do you think is the perfect thickness/weight?

Many thanks,
Livio

Fine Creek makes fashion clothes & all of their jackets are extremely easy to wear. "Heavy" Leon is super spongy and soft.

Leather jackets that are actually made from 1.8 mm thick hide can feel very taxing to wear but that kind of leather weight only makes sense on a motorcycle, protective clothes.

Cow/Horse in 1 to 1.4 mm is a perfect leather weight IMO. Chrome or veg or whatever, that's all up to tannery and you shouldn't ever expect one to be better or even different than the other.

livioli

Familiar Face
Fine Creek makes fashion clothes & all of their jackets are extremely easy to wear. "Heavy" Leon is super spongy and soft.

Leather jackets that are actually made from 1.8 mm thick hide can feel very taxing to wear but that kind of leather weight only makes sense on a motorcycle, protective clothes.

Cow/Horse in 1 to 1.4 mm is a perfect leather weight IMO. Chrome or veg or whatever, that's all up to tannery and you shouldn't ever expect one to be better or even different than the other.
This is crucial information. Thanks a lot.

At this point, the 1.3mm seems reasonable. But of course, I'll still need to try it on in person :)

mvilla

A-List Customer
I like thicker leather. Thinner hides develop CREASES on sleeves, thick hides develop ROLLS. Like boots...:). I love those.
Hmm don't know if I agree with that... My ELMC is pretty thin and has nice rolls

1000086025.jpg

1000086026.jpg

Roughly 0.9-1mm thick

1000087781.jpg

Honestly, I'm quite enjoying this weight of leather, especially for this time of the year. There is no way I'd be able to wear my LL or Aero in Badalassi, but this one's perfect

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner