Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather trenchcoat

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexeberlin

New in Town
I have finally decided that I want a leather trenchcoat, after seeing Ian carmichael wear one as Lord Peter Wimsey. Does anyone know of a good supplier= ideally UK based?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Understand the impulse bit it's a hard look to pull of unless you're Ian Carmichael on a period TV show I should think.

alexeberlin

New in Town
Understand the impulse bit it's a hard look to pull of unless you're Ian Carmichael on a period TV show I should think.

there is definitely a risk. Hopefully a brown one rather than Wehrmacht black might help. Ultimately the deciding moment is when I try one on.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Don't get a leather trenchcoat. It will look ridiculous and you'll look like you're in costume for a movie or television show, or you'll look like one of those angry loners who doesn't fit into society and thinks by wearing a leather trenchcoat somehow you'll be cool (when it will just make you weirder).

If you want a leather coat, get a 3/4 length leather car coat or a flight jacket.

That was a terrible television show, incidentally, and Carmicheal's costumes were deliberately fussy and over-tailored and should not be copied.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well, back in the (ahem) 70's... leather trench coats or "Maxis" as we used to call em were the ULTIMATE in cool. But as stated earlier you had to have a certain body type to carry em off. Tall, slim or athletic with a bad ass demeanor would help. Perhaps like Samuel L. Jackson in the remake of "Shaft" other than that... leave it alone.

Worf

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I agree, it's a look with way too much baggage; angry goth, gestapo, matrix...none of which are cool for a suave gent.
I'd go with some kind of 3/4 length leather car coat in a dark brown, maybe with a fur collar, the sort of thing 20's/30's gentlemen aviators would have worn, as an option that has less negative baggage and has kept class connotations.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I agree, it's a look with way too much baggage; angry goth, gestapo, matrix...none of which are cool for a suave gent.
I'd go with some kind of 3/4 length leather car coat in a dark brown, maybe with a fur collar, the sort of thing 20's/30's gentlemen aviators would have worn, as an option that has less negative baggage and has kept class connotations.

Funny you should mention this... I JUST put in an order with Carrie at Thurston Bros. for the following:

Standard Collared Barnstormer with Fur.
Short, short shearling lining
Battered tan horsehide.
No chest pockets.
No sleeve buttons.
Storm cuffs
Extra length like 3/4's well over the butt almost trench coat length.

Great minds think alike I suppose....

Worf

guygardner

A-List Customer
Just like it's possible to wear a full-length tan trench coat without looking like a flasher or Inspector Gadget, it is possible to wear a leather trench coat without looking like a weirdo. I like the post-war leather coats from Europe, the ones I've seen have been brown or dark green. The German coats close with a belt, but I've seen French models with large plastic buttons. Of course I'd stay away from any of the creepy WWII reproduction stuff. Some of those 1970s trench coats are pretty cool and I've seen a few with nice leather, but sadly they often have huge lapels. That's the hardest thing to pull off about that kind of coat IMHO. Of course what you wear with one is a factor as well. The flight jackets are kind of ubiquitous, sometimes it's nice to see and wear something less common.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I like the black trenchcoat. If you can wear a black leather motorcycle jacket you should be able to wear a trench coat. If you are an angry loner, don't get one. Use the money to get help for your problem instead.

Personally I am too short to wear any coat below the knees. If I had a few more inches, I'd have one.

guygardner

A-List Customer
I like the black trenchcoat. If you can wear a black leather motorcycle jacket you should be able to wear a trench coat. If you are an angry loner, don't get one. Use the money to get help for your problem instead.

Personally I am too short to wear any coat below the knees. If I had a few more inches, I'd have one.

+1 Finding one that isn't too long can be a problem.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Funny you should mention this... I JUST put in an order with Carrie at Thurston Bros. for the following:

Standard Collared Barnstormer with Fur.
Short, short shearling lining
Battered tan horsehide.
No chest pockets.
No sleeve buttons.
Storm cuffs
Extra length like 3/4's well over the butt almost trench coat length.

Great minds think alike I suppose....

Worf

lol I wish! But truth is I'm kinda stupid lol
But I can't wait to see your coat, sounds awesome! In The Kings Speech Guy Pearce lands his bi-plane in the garden and hops out in a really nice 3/4 length fur collared coat, jumps straight in the Rolls, and drives to the manor house. It's a glamorous look.

The closest I'd ever consider going to a leather trench coat would be a USN Transport Coat, it's got the length of a trench coat, but fur collar makes a big difference.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
lol I wish! But truth is I'm kinda stupid lol
But I can't wait to see your coat, sounds awesome! In The Kings Speech Guy Pearce lands his bi-plane in the garden and hops out in a really nice 3/4 length fur collared coat, jumps straight in the Rolls, and drives to the manor house. It's a glamorous look.

The closest I'd ever consider going to a leather trench coat would be a USN Transport Coat, it's got the length of a trench coat, but fur collar makes a big difference.

Nah your posts are generally anything BUT stupid... passionate yes... stupid? Not in my opinion.

Worf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner