Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather vests

Is it just me or is it impossible to look for "leather vest" on eBay? All I'm getting is results for leather jackets. Even though there's no mention of vest anywhere in the title or the listing, eBay will still include thousands of jackets under search results.

Oddly enough, on eBay.co.uk, the results turn up fine. Just leather vests.

Try ‘western leather vest’ .

The two I have have are nothing special, though well made. Both are lapel vests and Chinese made. A brown cow sold by Madison Creek Outfitters and tan pigskin sold by Pendleton. It’s very lightweight and can be machine washed. I did have a black leather one but I felt as if folks were looking for patches when I wore it. I wear the wool one when I want black now.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting. I've been toying with the idea of one of these https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Bores-Sunride-6-Leather-Vest/SubProducts/Bores-Sunride-6-Leather-Vest-0009&Currency=GBP&Locale=en_GB&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=remarketing&utm_term=Bores Sunride 6 Leather Vest&utm_campaign=Criteo_GB&iccm=CRI_GB eventually if I wanted to go full-leather, or possibly an Aero Shackleton in goat...

That's either counterfeit or adapted, then.... While naturally SoA had a lot of fantasy and over-exaggeration about it, they really did do their research (and at least two cast members were genuine patched 81). I do remember reading one thing that they committed to was none of their merchandise would have bottom rockers claiming territory on it. That's the bit most likely to get him in trouble if he crosses the path of the wrong people.

He didn't look the sharpest tool in the shed if I'm honest, just found S.O.A Vests on the Bay which are pretty much what he was wearing...& 'knock-offs' Hopefully the wrong people won't see him wearing it.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, you're right... And I hear you but just one thing always irked me to no end when I hear that bit about "earning" your leather. Hear that a lot on motorcycle FB groups I belong to. I had a bike. I love leather jackets and I still feel it's somehow directed at me. How do I earn my leather, exactly?

IT's not the leather, it's the colours - i.e. the patches that are earned. At least the right to wear them - they remain the property of the club at all times.

I was a member of a motorcycle club years ago when I still had a bike. We'd just meet up, go for a drink, that was it. Met some great people there. The club got eaten by a larger one that's taking itself a bit too seriously. Yeah, that motorcycle club. I guess the dreaded initiation isn't all that dreadful after all, how many people got in.
I had a patch on the jacket my friend gave me which I had to have removed. Only they get to have the M.C. in front of the name of the club.
Anyone with half a working brain figured that's one game of pretend that went too far.

IT's certainly serious business for the big guys like the 81 and similar. At least when there's a patchover they seem to normally let those who don't want to go over quit with dignity, long as they don't stir it up. But yeah, I can imagine it's frustrating when the shots are called by one of the big clubs and everybody else has to just fall in line or face trouble. I find the sociology/ anthropology of it all fascinating from a distance - tribal rules, politics, the importance of language (MC v MCC and such), but I am certain it's not a world I'd want to be committed in like that.

Edward

Bartender
Don't know if you've seen it already but the 1st season, fourth episode of True Detective has a genuinely good depiction of a biker gang. It makes SoA seem like a cartoon.

Which to some degree it was, of course (Jax teller committed forty-three murders in seven years, if memory serves...). Not seen True Detective, though. Always thought there was a great film to be made from Hunter S Thompson's book on the 81, but that could be fun with their lawyers. Not sure how they felt about the book itself - I know Thompson was almost lucky to get out alive.

He didn't look the sharpest tool in the shed if I'm honest, just found S.O.A Vests on the Bay which are pretty much what he was wearing...& 'knock-offs' Hopefully the wrong people won't see him wearing it.

Quite so. Surprises me people still do it; the youtube video of the guy that was playing Fantasy MC having a go at the kid in the petrol station was pathetic, but others of folks having kuttes confiscated and/or patches cut off looked legit. I don't get why anyone would run that sort of risk, but then I grew up in Northern Ireland where there is perhaps.... an enhanced awareness of the dangers of appropriated symbolism. ;)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0102984/
Stone Cold (1991)
BESTEST BIKER GANG MOVIE EVERRR
I rewatched it few months ago, still delivers amusement in full, it has everything, mullet blown by the wind, komodo dragon, lance hendriksen, boobs, and some biking

Hey, biker from Terminator 2, one whose clothes, boots and motorcycle Arnie steals is in that one!

But anyway, you may also then appreciate classics such as I bought a Vampire Motorcycle!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speaking of Vests
upload_2020-4-20_15-39-49.png

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
tribal rules, politics, the importance of language
I've ridden through the west on a BMW motorcycle extensively and have literally blown through gaggles of gruff-looking motorcycle gangs, putin' along at 55 mph with their ape hangers and big boots up in the air, and each individual looking like something the cat dragged in. I do not know what SOA or 81 or MC or MCC stand for. I always find myself wondering, "What do these people do for a living?", as I never had a job where I could show up to work looking like that.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Probably normal day job, teacher, factory worker, construction, shop clerk or owner, some can look pretty different in the weekend.

In my experience, the dominant club(s) in an area have bigger fish to fry than some wannabe playing like he is part of that world. Unless it’s egregious, they don’t really care. So many BS pop-ups after SOA it’s background noise now.

You do have to worry about their support clubs and those prospecting into real clubs. And even then it isn’t a huge concern unless you are frequenting certain establishments, parties, etc.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
in my country this HD motorcycle club is usually have members from businessman, high rank police/ military, politician, celebrity, all weekenders. they ride around town in a loud convoy led by highway patrol bike to stop traffic and bypass traffic light VIP style, perhaps for a good reason, I bet half of them are too frail to stop and go supporting the full weight of their bike, on the final stop probably they have assistants waiting to hold the bike for them or to park right next to a curbstone or something, few years back I remember reading about older celebrity and also politician riding in such weekend event, he rode through a pothole, fell from his bike, and died on the spot. these guys wear leather vest, gloves, tall riding boots, shades, leather covered stahlhelmet, or bowl shape helmet, basically all the stereotype gear for biker, all brand new looking.

"peasants" mc groups are moped or matic scooter riders, they airbrush, chromed or stickering or do some unpractical modification on their mopeds, and then sit around on pavement with their modified bike parked in line, each group occupying one corner on our main road, they just do that every weekend evening, sit around in the dark on dirty pavement and probably chat? mostly teenagers. these guys don't wear anything leather not even their belt is leather I bet, mostly colorful nylon jacket with their group logo embroidered on the back and front, and their bike also carry sticker of their group.

Last edited:
in my country this HD motorcycle club is usually have members from businessman, high rank police/ military, politician, celebrity, all weekenders. they ride around town in a loud convoy led by highway patrol bike to stop traffic and bypass traffic light VIP style, perhaps for a good reason, I bet half of them are too frail to stop and go supporting the full weight of their bike, on the final stop probably they have assistants waiting to hold the bike for them or to park right next to a curbstone or something, few years back I remember reading about older celebrity and also politician riding in such weekend event, he rode through a pothole, fell from his bike, and died on the spot. these guys wear leather vest, gloves, tall riding boots, shades, leather covered stahlhelmet, or bowl shape helmet, basically all the stereotype gear for biker, all brand new looking.

"peasants" mc groups are moped or matic scooter riders, they airbrush, chromed or stickering or do some unpractical modification on their mopeds, and then sit around on pavement with their modified bike parked in line, each group occupying one corner on our main road, they just do that every weekend evening, sit around in the dark on dirty pavement and probably chat? mostly teenagers. these guys don't wear anything leather not even their belt is leather I bet, mostly colorful nylon jacket with their group logo embroidered on the back and front, and their bike also carry sticker of their group.

Your descriptions / posts always make me chuckle. Good stuff. Here that same group of weekend warriors is either HOG (Harley Owners Group), some other riding association or some pop-up with mail-in “patches”.

We have plenty of Vespa warriors in south Florida too. Always in the way lol.

Edward

Bartender
I've ridden through the west on a BMW motorcycle extensively and have literally blown through gaggles of gruff-looking motorcycle gangs, putin' along at 55 mph with their ape hangers and big boots up in the air, and each individual looking like something the cat dragged in. I do not know what SOA or 81 or MC or MCC stand for. I always find myself wondering, "What do these people do for a living?", as I never had a job where I could show up to work looking like that.
Probably normal day job, teacher, factory worker, construction, shop clerk or owner, some can look pretty different in the weekend.

Some of the bigger clubs are to the point where I suspect they have their own business interests that can employ a chunk of membership (some legit, some less so), others I'm sure have day jobs that they can work around their club interests. I imagine "99%"-type MCs are much easier combined with the "normal world".

You do have to worry about their support clubs and those prospecting into real clubs. And even then it isn’t a huge concern unless you are frequenting certain establishments, parties, etc.

Trouble is easy to find anywhere if peopel go looking for it, after all. ;) But yeah, it's the guys with something to prove I'd be wary of.

Yip. Here in London I see two types of Harley rider - the local 81, and the midlife-crisis businessman types. Harleys aren't cheap here (they're pitched in the market as an expensive lifestyle-brand). A lot of MC guys have one because of club rules (don't know about all clubs, but the general UK rule at least seems to be true to the "WW2 Allied Nations Only" notion, and many buy Harely clearly because the style appeals).

In terms of safety gear, interestingly, when I see the real hardcore out on the road from the MCs here, they do seem to be much more likely to be wearing full-face helmet and an armoured jacket, whereas the wannabes are more likely to be riding in a t-shirt. I've even seen a city boy on a Harley in a pinstripe suit. No idea if he was trying for a Westernised version of the Yakuza look!

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
more conservative (usually foreign bike riders) tend to armor up

I came upon a single vehicle fatal accident scene, the bike laying on it's side, the unmoving body in the middle of the road with a jacket pulled up over his face. It was four German tourists, who had come over, rented Harleys and were touring the west. They were armored up, wearing full leathers, although I cannot remember what kind of helmets. Leaving Yosemite and coming down the Old Priest Grade, which is one hairpin turn after another after another, the poor guy simply missed a turn. Felt so bad for him and his family back home.

Wrong kind of bike for a road like that, those Harleys just aren't nimble. I guess I wouldn't mind having a Road King, but a lot of Bimmer guys would tell you those HOGs are nothing but a $20,000 piece of costume jewelry.

I can make my Road King do anything you do on your BMW. Just have to dedicate time to practice.

You don’t want to hear what my “Harley” buds say about the local BMW set. Lol. To each their own, just ride.

Never actually owned a Harley but I got a chance to ride a few and never even noticed they're any more difficult to handle than anything else. Very nice machines. Would happily buy one if I could afford it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy