Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather vests

Edward

Bartender
Had a leather waistcoat when I was seventeen; it was a Bob Dylan influence, but I got rid of it in the end because it just felt a bit..... Sting. First rule of style: if it makes you think of Sting, it must be bad. I picked up a denim sleeveless jacket type last year for doing my China runs, turned out to work great. I wanted something that would do the job of a jacket in terms of carrying all the bits I'd want pockets for, allowing easy removal at security, and stopping having pockets full of stuff in my trousers on the plane. Pleased with how that worked, I'm now planning a few options once I shift the weight - definitely a couple of Aero Shackletons (hopefully with a drill rather than wool backing), and a couple of denim options for when it gets too warm for any leather. Might even pick up a denim one or two I can decorate, though I certainly won't be putting top/bottom rockers on it.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I had a Shackleton from Aero and while I liked the style of it the fit was quite snug, but more than that it always felt a few inches too long in the body to me. I know its that kind of the style and I think they added on half an inch or something based on my measurements but it didn't feel quite right for me. I wore it a little and the leather was wearing in nicely and the plastic stud buttons, which concerned me a bit when it arrived, proved to be perfectly tough. But the length was the reason it got sold on. Have a couple of other things but nothing in leather.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmm... I like the look of vests but last time I tried one on, it didn't look good. I wonder how the fit works. Can you guys post some fit pics?

Kuro

Practically Family
I have been vest shopping since finding this post. No luck yet. Hope others are having as much as I have been.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I like Vest. So many cool vest out there. I try not to buy them, but do have a few. I bought these Lost Worlds Vest about 6 years ago. It was all he had on hand in large. I think he found more. These 4 are mine. I've got a few more. Nice alternative to buying a new Horsehide jacket. These 3 buttons are pretty tough leather, the 5 button on much tamer.

DSC08965.JPG
DSC08966.JPG
DSC08967.JPG
DSC08983.JPG
DSC08984.JPG
DSC09000.JPG
DSC09001.JPG

roadking04

Practically Family
I was in a motorcycle club for 12 years. A leather vest is a requirement. Your cut was to be worn any time you were on your bike or at a club function. It was also to be worn over your jacket in fowl weather.

My vest was a 4oz Fox Creek buffalo nickel vest. It seen it's fair share of sun, rain, and even some wet snow. My vest held up very well. It is "naked" cowhide. Naked cowhide will fade in sunlight and absorb rain like a sponge. It was well built with a nice leather lined gun pocket. I bought it about 14 years ago for $125, I think they are close to $300 now.

I am not sure if I would buy another one again though. I am not a fan of naked leather. It is soft and broken in from the rip. But it sucks up water and the 4oz leather becomes even heavier. I think finished leather works/looks better imho.

If you use the vest to ride in, I would recommend snap closure over zip closure. $5 vest extenders will be your best friend. They add about 3 or 4 inches to your vest and allow you to wear it over a jacket. But the BIG plus is on hot days, the extenders let your vest open up on the bike and you get very good air circulation. They make extenders for zip closure, but I don't think they look as good.

The Lost Worlds are nice but too many panels. And the elasticized back... Vanson makes a brilliant biker vest. They just cut it right. There was this horsehide Vanson cut that sold for $100 I think... Something I'm still kicking myself to this day for not buying. Most perfect biker vest I've seen. Ever.

DJ_8n8PVAAEdltc

Was selling a leather vest not long ago. Locally. Classic black cut with braided edges. Very nice, just got the wrong size...
Anyway, this guy shows up with his wife. Late 50's, maybe early 60's. I can tell he's in a club. Patches and stuff. So while inspecting the vest, he goes on about how crucial it is that the braiding isn't red. Figured the guy doesn't like red but turns out he does because then he tells me cool it'd look. Apparently, the issue is he can't wear a vest with red details 'cause there's this other motorcycle club whose thing that is. Only they get to wear vests with red... Stuff on it or something, he wasn't quite clear about it. I ask him frankly, isn't that a bit... Childish? 60 years old man worrying about what's he wearing? Wear the damn vest any way you like. He didn't even understand what I meant. "Naw, man, only they get to wear it!". And if you weren't in a club? All good then. Man...

I am loving this vest the more I look at it. Wish it was a normal offering from Vanson. Thank you for sharing!

P.S. In the market for a D Pocket vest. In black is fine... :)

Vanson will build whatever you like. They will even shape and configure the D pocket as you prefer. I’ve contemplated a straight zip D pocket vest in Black for a while. Something similar to LW Buco Rider but sleeveless.

Ugh, there was this Japanese maker, the site had several models of leather vests in very thick horsehide. They weren't that crazy pricey either... But for the life of me I cannot remember what they were called. The vests were beautiful! They seemed to have specialized on vests, had stuff on Rakuten, too. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Kuro

Practically Family
Vanson will build whatever you like. They will even shape and configure the D pocket as you prefer. I’ve contemplated a straight zip D pocket vest in Black for a while. Something similar to LW Buco Rider but sleeveless.

I will do the research! See what they say! Thank you.

Edward

Bartender
Was selling a leather vest not long ago. Locally. Classic black cut with braided edges. Very nice, just got the wrong size...
Anyway, this guy shows up with his wife. Late 50's, maybe early 60's. I can tell he's in a club. Patches and stuff. So while inspecting the vest, he goes on about how crucial it is that the braiding isn't red. Figured the guy doesn't like red but turns out he does because then he tells me cool it'd look. Apparently, the issue is he can't wear a vest with red details 'cause there's this other motorcycle club whose thing that is. Only they get to wear vests with red... Stuff on it or something, he wasn't quite clear about it. I ask him frankly, isn't that a bit... Childish? 60 years old man worrying about what's he wearing? Wear the damn vest any way you like. He didn't even understand what I meant. "Naw, man, only they get to wear it!". And if you weren't in a club? All good then. Man...

I get it. Guyswho join the big MCs, it's less aclub, more like a religion. They have to earn their colours (it's often very much not a pleasant process if they're one of the "outlaw" clubs - I'm told that's on purpose, to make it less attractive to Plod to try and infiltrate!), and they tend to get quite miffed if anyone wears anything too close to it or imitating club colours who hasn't 'earned' it. Respect them or no, some of them are not the kindof people you would choose to upset in that regard. Seems an odd qualification it wouldn't matter if you weren't in a club, though.

Me, I've always found it a bit naff to try and dress a cut up as if it is (unearned) colours... I mean, who's it trying to impress? Ladieswith athing for Hllywood fancy-dress "bikers"? The maddest are the guys who buy allthe "Lone Wolf / No Club" stuff, patch it out to look like an MC, the start facebook pages and invite other "no Club" guys to go on "no Club" runs with them.... er....

Anyhow.

Interesting a lot of the higher-end, commercially-made cuts I see now are increasingly designedto offer something more than just an extra layer - added warmthe, pocket for a back plate and such being options.

Kuro

Practically Family
This will be fun. I have not heard from Vanson yet, but this is what I put together.

Vanson Daredevil back.

Vanson Daredevil back.jpg

Vanson Hardcore Highway, black hardware, hidden snaps.
Vanson Hardcore Highway.jpg

The only thing I am not certain about is pockets. Do I want to delete any, all? None?

Lightweight leather, plaid lining in cotton. Wish I could have it made in Vicenza FQHH.

This is the start...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic