Leather Western Overshirt

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Powerband, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Powerband

Powerband Practically Family

Anyone owned and wore a western leather overshirt? Like it? Not for you?

I’m not sure it’s for, either, but curiosity made me pull the trigger on an Aero leather overshirt in my size.

It is smooth mid-weight horse hide, brown with an over-dyed black coat so that as it ages the brown shows through. It should patina well.

Here it is, entirely unlined except only a green satin liner at the shoulder yoke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should come in a few days and I’ll put up some pics.

I’ll wear it in cool summer days and as a casual beater. I’m hoping it will age a little similar to this:

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Don’t even open the package and return? (Ha!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torfjord, AbbaDatDeHat and Gamma68 like this.
  2. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

I think it’s a cool item. Wondering how comfortable it will be considering it’s unlined.

I like the leather pullover shirts myself, the type with lacing in front. Been keeping an eye out for one.

Powerband likes this.
  3. Powerband

I’ve owned an unlined Mister Freedom Campus jacket and it felt fine on the skin, even though the interior suede of the Campus was a bit raw in texture. The suede interior of the Aero jacket seems more silky, but I’ll know for sure when it arrives.

4. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks sharp, fit photos when it arrives would be nice, never seen one in the "wilds." No, I don't think you will have to "run" from it...

Powerband likes this.
  5. So33

So33 One of the Regulars

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  6. breezer

breezer Practically Family

I won't mince my words - leather shirts are a no no no, and for good measure, another no!

Dr H likes this.
  7. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

I like it.. if done right it looks very cool. If you ride this is 100% do-able. for a non rider.. pick your spots

ton312, bn1966, steve u and 2 others like this.
  8. Monitor

Monitor

I have one in goathide and wear it only over a t-shirt, unbuttoned and under a denim jacket. Rarely, though. That way it's passable or at least that's what I've been telling myself. Zero reactions so far.

Iron Heart makes a really, really nice one though the price is a bit deranged.

9. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I have a suede shirt that I use as a jacket sometimes.

10. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

A leather shirt I think it’s quite a statement piece. I’m not necessarily against the idea of a leather shirt but the risk of coming across as a leather daddy is behind the corner of not done well.

This one is cool (a langlitz collab) although it’s basically a jacket with the cut of a shirt

[​IMG]

Tusche, steve u and Monitor like this.
  11. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

How do you guys like leather pullovers compared to button-down leather shirts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  12. Powerband

This is how I plan to wear mine, over a summer tee. I definitely won’t be wearing the leather overshirt as a shirt... especially since it’s unlined, but I wouldn’t wear a leather shirt as an only-shirt.

Cheers!

Monitor likes this.
  13. Powerband

Yes I ride through the year and plan to wear this one for in-town riding.

bn1966 likes this.
  14. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

Why not?

15. Monitor

Monitor

Unbuttoned, worn over a textile shirt or a tee, it's really not all that different than a leather trucker. Buttoned up and stuffed into trousers, that's where all kinds of problems start.
    Still not as tough to pull off as a leather pullover which is something I honestly couldn't ever wear comfortably, even though I really like those things.

I wonder if @Carlos840 is wearing his? :D

16. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

Definitely no tuck. That is like tucking in a sweater.

17. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Familiar Face

It looks fine on the manikin or model. How it looks on you is up to you, not the shirt. In my experience, if you take pride and joy in something honest and truthful about it, like it’s high quality, handmade, you like the way it looks or fits, etc. they you will probably be fine. If you are worried about what total strangers might think, then you end up wearing things with an apologetic weak attitude which is not a strong position. This is coming from a person who often wears my leather jackets, tall boots and kilts (mostly Utilikilts), etc. In 20 years of wearing kilts, for example, I can only remember one overtly hostile comment. Others teased or poked but I took that as a joke and teased back. We all have a laugh and move on. It’s just a test to see how sensitive and full of yourself you are. When people realize that you are just enjoying your day and it’s just a shirt (or jacket or kilt or whatever) they smile and most never mention it again. I guarantee that most people might look for a second but no one really cares what you wear.

As for the patina, I hope it does not patina like the example. The example looks cheap and intentionally washed to lift off some of the cheap dye. If this is a quality shirt and new, it will start scuffing at the high points like the edges and seams. The panels will take years unless you spend a lot of time in the sun. I have an old pair of Wesco Highliners that came from Hawaii. I think they are from the 1990s. Theses black boots are now mostly brown tones. They are the most faded boots I’ve seen or own even faded on the sides of the legs. I cleaned and conditioned them, which darkened them up about 90%. After a while as the conditioner soaked in and evaporated they have faded back to a deep black/brown patina.

I hope that helps.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Powerband and Gamma68 like this.
  18. Powerband

Whatchu talking bout???

[​IMG]

19. ton312

ton312

That’ll get ya a beating. As far as a leather shirt goes I would proceed with extreme caution. It’s a very difficult garment to wear. It carries an undeniable connotation. It’s not impossible to carry off, but it is improbable.

Powerband likes this.
  20. Powerband

Agreed. I’m approaching this whole leather overshirt with extreme caution. I seriously had considered turning the package around with a return label... but what’s the fun in that?!

wild_balls and ton312 like this.