Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Left Handed and Fountain Pens

in/y

One of the Regulars
Just ran into this thread. Thanks for the original post John in Covina. Having the usual troubles learning to write as most left-handers do (I’m a non-hooking overwriter myself), I never considered fountain pens as something I could successfully use. I’m now giving the idea serious thought.

I have a few questions from some of you left-handed fountain pen users out there.

Firstly, do they make ink that actually dries fast enough so that I won’t smear it with my hand and more importantly, my shirt sleeve? I always thought not which is probably why I never considered fountain pens before.

Secondly, what would be a good pen for starters? What styles of points are easier to use?

At the site mentioned by Lady Day, they have left-handed pens with "specially designed nibs" any experiences with such pens?

Also, any experiences with the left-handed modifications offered at the nibs.com page John In Covina posted?

Finally to add to the list Elaina gave of things not made for the left-handed (and something I find not all left-handed folks notice) is if you hold a writing instrument that has writing along the side in your left hand, the writing is always upside down...it's the correct side up for right-handers.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Ya know, I was looking over the fountain pen thread and have been considering looking into acquiring one, but was worried about my left handed "tendencies" and then someone resurrects this thread! Thanks!

Randy

ChadHahn

New in Town
If you write right handed, you probably can't become President. Although I don't know if being President is a good enough reason to be a lefty.

It does make me proud as a lefty to see the last 4 (?) Presidents writing left-handed though. It probably has to do with their being Lizard People. :)

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn