Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legendary USA Black Stallion is Back

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marketing disaster for someone who obviously has no idea about marketing.
From a rational point of view, they are absolutely right. They stand for their product and it shouldn't matter who produces it and where.
Mistake no. 1: leather jackets are not rational products.
Mistake no. 2: no one likes symbol photos, but wants to see and ideally feel how the product really is. Don't buy a pig in a poke.
Error no. 3: the return policy does not give the impression that the company stands behind its product. This in combination with point 2 is devastating.

However, I think this weird forum is only responsible for a small part of the sales and everyone else has less problems with it.

Aloysius

However, I think this weird forum is only responsible for a small part of the sales and everyone else has less problems with it.

If they had rereleased the Black Stallion as it originally was, I’d expect a good chunk of a small run like this to sell to people here, on Style Forum, etc.

But you are correct. Legendary has far more followers on social media than our usual leather jacket brands—that doesn’t tell you *everything* but it does demonstrate a pretty big audience among motorcyclists who aren’t into this hobby.

tek8080

Familiar Face
13 emails were exchanged before I finally was given a full refund. They were outrageously persistent that they would not cancel my order. It was only when I mentioned that this whole situation might be considered bait and switch and that there are laws in place to protect consumers that I was issued one. I tried so hard not to go down that road but they refused to cancel even after I went into great detail about why I no longer wanted the jacket. I mentioned others had been able to cancel, and they said they checked and nobody was cancelling their orders... I then had them attempt to call me twice, which I did not pick up. The refund had already been issued and I'm not getting into an argument with some dude for no reason at this point. He's already heard from some of you and has been told what the issue is.

Whether he understands it or not, the demographic changed when they went with an unknown maker and were hazy on details. I even explained to them that if it was made by Schott, that gives us a baseline of quality in regards to expectations. EDSIM is almost completely unknown, and appears to focus on fashion leather. While I'm sure they can most likely produce a nice quality riding jacket, that's not what we committed to when putting down $800. Using a photoshopped image of the previous jacket made by Schott is extremely misleading for guys like us who can instantly tell by the details who the maker is. Same with the Hillside image they are using. Obviously they want these to go to guys who don't give a hoot about some of the things we do. So why be so persistent about cancelling? Sell them to the guys who will put them on, love them, and wear the hell out of them.

Good luck to anyone else who had already placed an order and no longer wants it. I was considering repurchasing the jacket at a higher price if it doesn't sell out and it looks good, but now I'd never purchase anything from them ever again.

Observe

One Too Many
13 emails were exchanged before I finally was given a full refund. They were outrageously persistent that they would not cancel my order. It was only when I mentioned that this whole situation might be considered bait and switch and that there are laws in place to protect consumers that I was issued one. I tried so hard not to go down that road but they refused to cancel even after I went into great detail about why I no longer wanted the jacket. I mentioned others had been able to cancel, and they said they checked and nobody was cancelling their orders... I then had them attempt to call me twice, which I did not pick up. The refund had already been issued and I'm not getting into an argument with some dude for no reason at this point. He's already heard from some of you and has been told what the issue is.

Whether he understands it or not, the demographic changed when they went with an unknown maker and were hazy on details. I even explained to them that if it was made by Schott, that gives us a baseline of quality in regards to expectations. EDSIM is almost completely unknown, and appears to focus on fashion leather. While I'm sure they can most likely produce a nice quality riding jacket, that's not what we committed to when putting down $800. Using a photoshopped image of the previous jacket made by Schott is extremely misleading for guys like us who can instantly tell by the details who the maker is. Same with the Hillside image they are using. Obviously they want these to go to guys who don't give a hoot about some of the things we do. So why be so persistent about cancelling? Sell them to the guys who will put them on, love them, and wear the hell out of them.

Good luck to anyone else who had already placed an order and no longer wants it. I was considering repurchasing the jacket at a higher price if it doesn't sell out and it looks good, but now I'd never purchase anything from them ever again.
Likely giving you this treatment due to the raft of cancellations and trying to damage control the losses I'd say.

tek8080

Familiar Face
I mentioned the mouton collar disappearing as only one of the reasons I wanted to cancel. They said they'd add a collar to mine if that's why I was cancelling. I was persistent and told them it was just one factor. They appear to have since re-added the pictures to the listing showing a removable fur collar, so it looks like you guys who kept your orders do infact now get one! Unless they decide to remove it again... What a mess.

At this point I'm super happy I'm on the sidelines, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very curious to see the final product now lol. Who knows what's going to show up at this point.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Easter eggs are in Guppy’s first post on the first page. History usually have a way of repeating itself. Patience is the key word here and hopefully with a dash of luck when the time comes.

Schott or some OEM sew shop in NY garment district, the brand is still LengendaryUSA. Just because they effed up on marketing and other administrative aspects, doesn’t mean the jacket automatically not worthy. Especially with this little detour of events I’m sure the final product will have to live up to its name or even exceed. Brand is at stake now things are sort of in the open.

I’m glad people got their money back. It puts you in a better position and let this event unfold itself.

abone

A-List Customer
For once I’m happy for my dithering and procrastination. The price changed a bit during my dithering which had me wondering, not about the maker, but about the company. Now I’m being bombarded with buy now emails.
I was head of sales and marketing for a Cat dealership back in the day…. If I’d been responsible for a mess like this I’d be waiting for the little brown envelope.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
I just got a note from Legendary saying (paraphrasing)

Sorry you had to cancel your order. Sometimes something changes on your end and sometimes it’s something we did or a matter out of our control. Anyway, we want to make it right so here’s a 15% off coupon.

Obviously, they did nothing right during the launch of this pre-sell on the Stallion. Hopefully they’ve learned a little something. I’d been happy with them up to this point and they seem to do some other things well. I like several of the companies that they choose to represent.

Despite all the nonsense, I’m still kind of anxious to see what this jacket looks like…from the sidelines.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

It sounds like they lost a lot of business in a couple days and now they're in panic mode. The change in their cancelation policy doesn't help their image any.

tek8080

Familiar Face
It sounds like they lost a lot of business in a couple days and now they're in panic mode. The change in their cancelation policy doesn't help their image any.
Yep, that's exactly what's happening. It's also obvious that they still don't feel like any wrong was done on their part, and this is all just weirdos from a forum. I can tell that by how hard I had to fight for a cancellation. And also for the fact that they are currently STILL using images of the Schott jacket and the Hillside D-Pocket to sell the current production. There's discrepancies among removable collars, zipper metal, zipper pulls... And nowhere on the listing does it say that the current images are not representative of the final jacket. Is it that difficult to empathize that we just want to know what we're plunking down our hard earned money for?

I agree with what others have said in regards to it still possibly being a great jacket. Anything could happen. Forum members might be reaching out to EDSIM directly trying to get jackets made or convincing them to do group buys after this... I am not a gambling man and never have been. I genuinely hope they knock this out of the park, but you cannot deny that the execution of this has been horrendous.

Viking752

Practically Family
If

If the folks of Legendary didn’t know of TFL prior to last week , I believe they know now the influence of that “weird Fedora forum”. Ever how large or small that is to their bottom line.

Aloysius

If the folks of Legendary didn’t know of TFL prior to last week , I believe they know now the influence of that “weird Fedora forum”. Ever how large or small that is to their bottom line.

What they’re maybe not getting is that the raft of cancellations from us just demonstrates that there was initially a raft of orders from us.

Using the images of the Schott jackets from a decade ago is absolutely wrong. Period and end of story. I suspect what they come up with won’t be even half as good.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Using the images of the Schott jackets from a decade ago is absolutely wrong. Period and end of story. I suspect what they come up with won’t be even half as good.
I wouldn't have had a problem with it if they were still made by Schott, to identical spec. Otherwise, yeah I tend to agree. They need to display and represent the product accurately.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Now I really want to know how it will turn out! I once again renegotiated and now have number 69 (LMAO) Also, I think it was the owner who reached out to you all. What is curious about this whole ordeal is how they are being all secret squirrel about it. I wonder what their motivations are, I think they just didnt anticipate the attention it will get?

I bet they are confused as hell about wtf is going on lol outside of this community most people don't really look into details as much as we do. Most of my friends who ride will most likely be happy with Hillside jackets, those with crotch rockets will do Dainese and such, while those more fashion forward will take YSL or the Thursday or h&m tier jackets. Shoot, we even go as far as getting into details such as stitching etc.

If this turns out bad/leather couch-tier then this will be my "beat up" jacket; meaning I will put pins and patches on it, put it through hell etc. if it's good and will be grail level I would probably think about resale later on (it's number 69!) maybe keep it in a garment bag.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Seems like I’ve been on Schott’s website a lot since this whole legendary thing started.
Wish they would come out with a 613SH w/d-pocket in a special one time thicker HH

Aloysius

Seems like I’ve been on Schott’s website a lot since this whole legendary thing started.
Wish they would come out with a 613SH w/d-pocket in a special one time thicker HH

Well, this year they've been transitioning a lot of the bizarre Japanese fashion pattern (narrow shoulders, tiny chest, wide hem) jackets into a nice 613S pattern, if perhaps a touch shorter, so this puts a lot of the JDM models 'in play' as it were. (Not all have been transitioned yet; the naked cowhide 613, for example, is still on the old pattern.)

Did some searching and it looks like the naked cowhide D-pocket Perfecto is one of the fixed patterns. Looks stunning, though it's a pricey jacket.

Stunning hide:

7823950094-010_SUB_1280.jpg

Aloysius

Well, the jacket has now almost sold out… and still not a single photo of the actual thing. I'm guessing yesterday's 20% off promotion at Legendary helped.

There was a faint chance I was going to order if they posted something that looked solid. I guess that worked out for me though because I had an unexpected expense today (laptop died last night and I had to replace it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points