Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lesco ID help

jonATL

New in Town
Hi. It's been a long time since I've posted here, but Fedora membership seem to be the most in-the-know about Lesco motorcycle jackets, so here I am. I'll try to stick around.

I picked up this Lesco today, in a very slim 40, but I'm having trouble dating it beyond "60s or 70s." Anyone know a more specific time range for the Lesco tag (the only tag on the jacket, save for a "40" on the jacket itself, unfortunately)? Also, what is this type of jacket called?

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Is this the jacket that’s currentky listed on eBay??? Listing still appears active and the pics are the same.

I took notice because I have the same jacket in a 46 and I may be forced to part with it. I saw the one on eBay with the pics you posted and as I said, it has the same EXACT pics.

At any rate, mine is the same jacket but I believe my front zippers are Hoop and Chain pulls. Not regular zipper slides/pulls. I believe Lesco switched to regular pulls after the hoop pulls.

Tough to find solid info on Lesco at all beyond it being a New York company whose only scant information relates to their making handbags and no longer being around.

As such, I don’t think much Lesco specific info is out there even among the wisest FL member. I have at least 6 Lescos and haven’t been able to track down anything of substance on them.

That said—as with all mystery dating investigations, zippers and snaps can be great independent dating tools. However dating a Lesco within such a small window of time (ie 60s vs 70s) based on zippers will likely prove fruitless IMO.

I have posted in other threads that Lesco made some really nice jackets and the lack of general available knowledge and lack of popular reputation render them underrated somewhat among jacket enthusiasts and prices usually reflect that.

I feel they are generally a well priced and well made “American Made” vintage jacket. The one you have, I don’t see very regularly.

This is my 1.5 cents on Lesco. Let’s see if any members can throw down some knowledge on these.

You got a nice jacket though and regardless it’s a good 39 years old AT LEAST.

jonATL

New in Town
Yes, it is the one on ebay. ... I'm going to have to unload it because, well, it's a bit tight if I'm being honest with myself (and I don't know if it's exactly "on brand" as far as my regular style goes). So I guess I was just posting it on here to see for my own edification. It's an amazing jacket, and I had never heard of Lesco, so I naturally wanted to know a little more.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I had and sold a Lesco CR recently (they don't sell for much). I agree that it's an underrated brand. The leather they used is certainly better than period Brooks jackets (the marbled brown is really nice). The build quality is also better. Maybe Lesco is off the radar because its brand tag is usually on the zip-in lining, which often goes missing. So the jackets are harder to identify and maybe people dismiss them as just another ol' jacket.

I like researching the history of little known makers. There really isn't much out there. I posted all I could learn here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...cafe-racer-jackets.48163/page-22#post-2390759

I'd say the OP's jacket is from the 1970s. I didn't find any reference to Lesco-brand jackets before 1977.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I've listed it here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-small-40-1970s-brown-lesco-perfecto-style-jacket.96760/

I don't know if that's priced well or not, so I'm very open to offers.

I'd suggest including measurements in your classified post. The tag size is less relevant because that can vary by maker. Potential buyers will want to know chest size, sleeve length, shoulder width, length from bottom of collar to bottom hem. Also more details on condition of leather, pockets, lining, zippers, etc.

jonATL

New in Town
I'd suggest including measurements in your classified post. The tag size is less relevant because that can vary by maker. Potential buyers will want to know chest size, sleeve length, shoulder width, length from bottom of collar to bottom hem. Also more details on condition of leather, pockets, lining, zippers, etc.

Thanks. I'll set to work and update soon.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Yes, it is the one on ebay. ... I'm going to have to unload it because, well, it's a bit tight if I'm being honest with myself (and I don't know if it's exactly "on brand" as far as my regular style goes). So I guess I was just posting it on here to see for my own edification. It's an amazing jacket, and I had never heard of Lesco, so I naturally wanted to know a little more.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
To piggyback Gamma68 and BFD70, the most definitive measurements for selling are those buyers can see with their own eyes. I suggest providing the measurements by uploading the 4-5 critical Lying Flat measurements in photo form. It takes a few minutes to take the shots but it leaves no questions as to the measurements and how you came by them. Sometimes people give flawed measurements taken from the wrong points. If interested parties can clearly see the measurements as you took them, they can better rely on them to be accurate.

I end up asking Sellers to clarify how they measured a lot of times because they provide odd numbers and I have returned jackets to buyers that were not correctly described. My pet peeve is when a rear jacket length is measured from the TOP OF THE COLLAR down to the hem but the seller just says, "Collar to Hem..." . To me, the TOP of the collar is NOT part of the fit of the jacket body as it rises above the whole torso area so a length measurement from the this point is misleading. The jacket fit is what is being sought by interested buyers not the size it would take up in a display window. It should be measured from the BASE of the collar down the back.

I recommend killing 2 birds with one stone by providing the measurements as pics as it removes much doubt on fit.

ALSO, regarding posting for sale here prior to hitting eBay, when I sell, I intend to offer all items I offer on eBay here first because this is the knowledgeable leather jacket buyers market here. But currently, eBay is doing this "promotion" that is popping up on my only listing. Upon listing, eBay gives you a "personal link" to the sale that you can post elsewhere (like Here in FL as I did) or send to friends or potential interested parties. My understanding is that IF a buyer buys through this personal link, eBay will refund you the 10% they take from the sales/shipping total. IOW, your item sells for free if purchased through the personal link. This is what I did. I posted the link here and sent it to some buddies.

I think this is a really fair wrinkle in the eBay selling proposition. Basically, eBay buyers get to see the item at the same time you are marketing it to non eBay buyers directly. It really doesn't hurt eBay to allow this because if I am going to post a listing here BEFORE putting it on eBay, eBay gets NO CHANCE to make any money off of that listing. However, if I can simultaneously list it on eBay (for the cost of their 10% fee) AND list it here or send the link to some of my friends who might like to buy (and NOT have to pay eBay for a sale that results from my direct link providing efforts), I am more likely to do that and allow eBay at least the possibility of snagging their cut from a potential buyer who sees and buys it on eBay and NOT from my personal link.

Without this option, the most prudent way is to list here first, THEN proceed to fee collecting sales platforms once FL members have passed on buying it.

Best of luck with your sale offering.

jonATL

New in Town
To piggyback Gamma68 and BFD70, the most definitive measurements for selling are those buyers can see with their own eyes. I suggest providing the measurements by uploading the 4-5 critical Lying Flat measurements in photo form. It takes a few minutes to take the shots but it leaves no questions as to the measurements and how you came by them. Sometimes people give flawed measurements taken from the wrong points. If interested parties can clearly see the measurements as you took them, they can better rely on them to be accurate.

I end up asking Sellers to clarify how they measured a lot of times because they provide odd numbers and I have returned jackets to buyers that were not correctly described. My pet peeve is when a rear jacket length is measured from the TOP OF THE COLLAR down to the hem but the seller just says, "Collar to Hem..." . To me, the TOP of the collar is NOT part of the fit of the jacket body as it rises above the whole torso area so a length measurement from the this point is misleading. The jacket fit is what is being sought by interested buyers not the size it would take up in a display window. It should be measured from the BASE of the collar down the back.

I recommend killing 2 birds with one stone by providing the measurements as pics as it removes much doubt on fit.

ALSO, regarding posting for sale here prior to hitting eBay, when I sell, I intend to offer all items I offer on eBay here first because this is the knowledgeable leather jacket buyers market here. But currently, eBay is doing this "promotion" that is popping up on my only listing. Upon listing, eBay gives you a "personal link" to the sale that you can post elsewhere (like Here in FL as I did) or send to friends or potential interested parties. My understanding is that IF a buyer buys through this personal link, eBay will refund you the 10% they take from the sales/shipping total. IOW, your item sells for free if purchased through the personal link. This is what I did. I posted the link here and sent it to some buddies.

I think this is a really fair wrinkle in the eBay selling proposition. Basically, eBay buyers get to see the item at the same time you are marketing it to non eBay buyers directly. It really doesn't hurt eBay to allow this because if I am going to post a listing here BEFORE putting it on eBay, eBay gets NO CHANCE to make any money off of that listing. However, if I can simultaneously list it on eBay (for the cost of their 10% fee) AND list it here or send the link to some of my friends who might like to buy (and NOT have to pay eBay for a sale that results from my direct link providing efforts), I am more likely to do that and allow eBay at least the possibility of snagging their cut from a potential buyer who sees and buys it on eBay and NOT from my personal link.

Without this option, the most prudent way is to list here first, THEN proceed to fee collecting sales platforms once FL members have passed on buying it.

Best of luck with your sale offering.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll provide more detail regarding how I measure, which is the standard way the menswear consignment places on ebay do it.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Another suggestion: I highly recommend using a tailor’s tape measure and NOT a carpenter’s metal tape measure or (even worse) a wooden yardstick. Yes, I’ve seen some clueless eBay sellers post yardstick photos against jackets. A tailor’s tape measure will provide more accurate measurements than a rigid metal tape measure. You can find a tailor’s tape measure at any fabric store.

Standard measurements are chest pit to pit, shoulders across the back seam to seam, length from bottom of rear collar to bottom seam, sleeve from shoulder seam to cuff (following the sleeve curve AND straight across) and the waist opening across the front hem. Hope this helps.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Another suggestion: I highly recommend using a tailor’s tape measure and NOT a carpenter’s metal tape measure or (even worse) a wooden yardstick. Yes, I’ve seen some clueless eBay sellers post yardstick photos against jackets. A tailor’s tape measure will provide more accurate measurements than a rigid metal tape measure. You can find a tailor’s tape measure at any fabric store.

Standard measurements are chest pit to pit, shoulders across the back seam to seam, length from bottom of rear collar to bottom seam, sleeve from shoulder seam to cuff (following the sleeve curve AND straight across) and the waist opening across the front hem. Hope this helps.

Ok, get yourself ready for some good ol' hair splitting here!!!!! :p I am not disagreeing with Gamma regarding the Tailor's tape per se. This is merely my own experience. I have found that a tailor's tape doesn't provide the same accuracy as my tape measure and I even considered trying to track down, (Gulp!) a Yardstick.

Follow me here: because the tailor's tape is a material non rigid tape, some are therefore susceptible to giving faulty measurements if they cannot be held totally taut. Since I am a one man show as it relates to photos and measurements, I can't hold a tailor's tape straight and taut from two points AND snap the photo at the same time. Also, if collars, or zippers or seams are in the measured area, they can affect the tape not being taut and the resulting overall measurement will be off. Now will it be off be several inches?? Likely not. Can it be off by 1-2 inches?? Yes it can. I have bought jackets and am looking at a couple now that are measured with a tailor's tape and one of the sellers advises that his measurements may be off by an inch as his tape was not tight in his measurements. I suspect someone called him out on it and he amended his listing info. At the end of the day, it may or may not be a measurement that renders a jacket ill fitting.

I was talking to an old lady at the local fabric store when I bought the tape (An Old Lady at a Fabric Store MUST be qualified to discuss garment measuring right??? Ya see, I dive deep for the real SOURCES on this stuff o_O) and she was saying the tape is not so much for measuring fabric itself, but to measure people for fitting and alterations etc. She said fabric cutting boards have built in or attached measuring tapes/sticks on the edge of the tables. Ok...whatever.....

I'm not saying not to use a Tailor's tape just cuz some old lady gave me some insider scuttlebutt Lol. Just to make certain you can make it as flat as possible and/or send photos of the actual measurements so buyers can assess the accuracy as much as possible.

What I do now is I lay the jacket flat and I use a tape measure placed on either a 1" high small square of wood or a square piece of a 2 x 6 (for thicker jackets). This allows the tape to provide an accurate measurement sitting barely on or hovering above the jacket so that nothing is affecting the angle of the tape. For me, I like to measure in sunlight and often in my backyard so I found that as soon as I would get the tailor tape finally as straight as I could, the wind blows a little and the tape gets blown off target.

At any rate, this is why I suggest the photo measurements regardless of measuring method. It gives the buyer the chance to see HOW you measured and to take that into account in assessing the size.

Now this is mainly just expressing another pet peeve of mine regarding online listings of things, but by all means, VIEW your photos before posting to ensure they are clear and depicting what you want to show. Blurry, dark, glare on measuring tapes, upside down images etc. are all a waste of time and a waste of the photo allowance you have on most platforms. Use Google Photo or another program to rotate your pics where needed and sort the best ones to effectively market what you are trying to sell.

Just the more information that can be communicated to a potential buyer, the more comfortable they will be in parting with their hard earned money. I'm sure the Old Lady would agree with me...... :cool:

***No Old Ladies were harmed in the production of this message

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael