Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's make this guy a star

Josephine

One Too Many
That's not 200+ unique views. I've come back many times to read the new posts in the thread. Some of the songs were fine, but his voice is a bit too 'warbly' for me, and as a member previously said, I also like a bit more musical accompaniment. I would probably not buy his album, as it's been years since I bought one (and I don't DL music), but I wouldn't change the station if he came on.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Thank you, Kentucky Blues; thank you, Josephine! That's very helpful to know. Kentucky is right when he says that all opinions are welcome here. The point is to gauge whether Tony London is on the right track or not. In order to widen the net, I've also been doing this survey on other website forums. It's kind of everyone to take the time to listen to him and post your thoughts, and I'm grateful for it. Please do continue.

Josephine

One Too Many
I don't know if this helps or not, but to me his voice/the music sounded 'thin'. Not 'weak', but not 'rich' or 'full'. I'm sorry I can't explain it any clearer. I know some singers use the music to hide their voice's shortcomings, but I don't think it's that either, that his voice is lacking. I think the sound he has would be good in a nightclub setting, but on a record, I'd like to hear a big band behind him.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ok...I promised when I got home I would listen

and I am.

In general yes, I do like him. Very nice smooth voice, and gets the croony style just right.

I think of it as music I would have going while doing things around the house, or reading, or talking to friends eating dinner...etc....

Its not -meant- to be swinging loud or fast to me....

My two cents..

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Josephine said:
I don't know if this helps or not, but to me his voice/the music sounded 'thin'. Not 'weak', but not 'rich' or 'full'.

I think you're right, Josephine. I've never heard him live, so I can't say whether he sounds stronger in person. His voice reminds me of a young Mel Torme. Perhaps he needs more formal vocal training, or a different kind of tempo/beat.

The talent is there, IMO. It just needs to be channeled and developed to its full potential.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Miss Neecerie said:
and I am.

In general yes, I do like him. Very nice smooth voice, and gets the croony style just right.

I think of it as music I would have going while doing things around the house, or reading, or talking to friends eating dinner...etc....

Its not -meant- to be swinging loud or fast to me....

My two cents..

Thanks, Miss Neecerie!

Dagwood

Practically Family
He obviously has talent and an exceptional voice. I just wish he had more emotion in his voice.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm not much on crooners, but I think this guy's just as worthy of attention as the other young crooners out there. Just because I don't like the style personally doesn't mean he doesn't have an amazing voice.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, here you go in all honestly:

I am a professionally trained singer. I got through just the first line and cringed. I only listed to the recommended tune, no others (in case you want me to listen to something else). Unfortunately, his voice doesn't have the training, strength in the vocal cords and support necessary to support his notes and carry a tune to its full conclusion.

His notes were flat, and no orchestra will help him as long as he stays in his current mode of singing. He needs training to support his voice, help with his breathing and maybe bring out its full potential. He has some basics, but they won't carry him onto a professional level until he learns to manage what he has and choose tunes to bring out his talents not his flaws.

Do I think he can be a well-known professional singer? Maybe. Do I think he can be a well-known professional singer of crooner tunes? No.

Will I purchase any music by him? Not at this time.

Sorry for my honestly...

Vintage Betty

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm busy...

...trying to make myself a star! Or at least make a living at it!
But I will give it a listen and venture an opinion. After reading the last post though, I am afraid...

poetman

A-List Customer
I'm a jazz musician and have had the fortunate experiences of playing with some major artists. As a jazz fan, the more people playing the music, the better; however, as a musician, it is decent. his voice is subdued, which is fine, reminsicent of Chet Baker or Billy Eckstine. The arrangements are killing him. His voice doesn't have the energy that Buble or Cincotti have. He needs much more swinging arrangements. Even on the tune "Walkin my Baby," if he wants to get into that harmonizing with other vocalists, he should look at Take 6 and Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross, and Cheryl Bentyne. His voice is not particularly memorable. It holds the notes, but it doesn't have that haunting quality that immortalizes the great artists. If he's looking to make it big, he should continue playing and performing, and try working with a vocal coach. They have amazing abilities to transform voices. Best of luck to him. Keep Swinging!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld