Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good Wife - 1955

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
(If anyone had tried to tell my mother she should have acted like that, she'd have brained them with a skillet.)

lol
Same with my grandmother! According to my dad she often used the phrase "Son of a b*tch!" to describe my grandfather and frequently threatened him with the same skillet lol

They wrote a bunch of love letter to one another in 1937 and my dad says "That's not the parents I knew!" lol

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
lol
Same with my grandmother! According to my dad she often used the phrase "Son of a b*tch!" to describe my grandfather and frequently threatened him with the same skillet lol

They wrote a bunch of love letter to one another in 1937 and my dad says "That's not the parents I knew!" lol

My grandmother did fight with my grandfather as well, but ironically most of the women of their era did a good portion of what is in the article even if they acted offended at what its main message is. I really don't think that makes them in any way inferior or subservient. It certainly highlights the huge amount of responsibilities a wife had back then especially without many of the modern day conveniences we now take for granted. I doubt many men, then or now, could handle the home the way most women seem to do it with such ease and grace.

Well, one girl I'm courting is in college and will make a good living once she's out and we decided if we were ever to wed and have kids, I would stay at home with them, since she will make 20-30,000 more a year than I would.

Oh don't say that! I'm one of the forgotten men of the "he-session;" one of the 20% of men who are out of work in the U.S. who still want a job. Or, at least I was. I'm now part of the men in the new profession of house-husband. So we are one income, and we WILL make it work. No choice not to make it work really...

Well, one girl I'm courting is in college and will make a good living once she's out and we decided if we were ever to wed and have kids, I would stay at home with them, since she will make 20-30,000 more a year than I would.

Several years ago an acquaintance of mine gave up a small business he owned to do the Mr. Mom thing because his wife was making more than him, and he's been doing it ever since. Though it didn't hurt that his own family is fairly well off. They owned the strip mall where his store was located.

My dad got hurt in the trades and Mom had to go back to work, and he opened his gun shop in our barn way back then, so he could stay home with us.

Several years ago an acquaintance of mine gave up a small business he owned to do the Mr. Mom thing because his wife was making more than him, and he's been doing it ever since. Though it didn't hurt that his own family is fairly well off. They owned the strip mall where his store was located.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
It's all up to the individual woman. My ex is a career-woman first. My fiancee is a mother first. It takes both kinds.

I don't mean this in any sort of offensive way but I wonder is there is a significance to the career-woman type being an ex wife and the mother type being the soon to be wife?
That is- sometimes I wonder how badly marriages and families are suffering with the loss of a stay at home mom (or dad)?

Pompidou

One Too Many
I don't mean this in any sort of offensive way but I wonder is there is a significance to the career-woman type being an ex wife and the mother type being the soon to be wife?
That is- sometimes I wonder how badly marriages and families are suffering with the loss of a stay at home mom (or dad)?

I imagine the primary culprit in the often increasing divorce rate is that it's ever easier to get a divorce. The laws are becoming friendlier to it as time progresses and social stigma against it is decreasing proportionately. Marriage as an institution seems to need coercion and consequences to really last a lifetime.

Yes, it used to be that one had to have a very good reason for getting divorced such as abuse or infidelity. Now it's simply "irreconcilable differences" -- whatever that's supposed to mean, which can be almost anything from the aforementioned to "falling out of love." Also I recall reading somewhere that women initiate 90% of all divorces.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Yes, it used to be that one had to have a very good reason for getting divorced such as abuse or infidelity. Now it's simply "irreconcilable differences" -- whatever that's supposed to mean, which can be almost anything from the aforementioned to "falling out of love." Also I recall reading somewhere that women initiate 90% of all divorces.

It's also said that the majority of divorces are a result of inadequate finances (real or perceived).

Feraud

Bartender
Marriage as an institution seems to need coercion and consequences to really last a lifetime.
Quite the opposite. A successful marriage takes two people willing to work hard to make it work.
Marriage is like a business, you've got to work hard to make it succeed. Slackers need not apply.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Having experienced the process, I can say that it is NOT, in any fashion, easy to get a divorce. A mutually-agreed dissolution, perhaps, but old-fashioned divorce is still such a stressful, financially ruinous, child-wounding and emotionally devastating process as to still represent a strong deterrent.

Pompidou

One Too Many
A lot of the marriages that end in divorce today never should have been entered into in the first place. It's easy to get out of a marriage, but it's *much too easy* to get into one.

Lots of people these days do a long-term test run, just living together to make sure they're compatible before risking half their possessions in a messy divorce. That's my plan as well. I can't think of a way to make marriage harder to enter into that I would actually support in practice, but I personally, never rush into anything.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Three men were sitting together bragging about how they had given their new wives duties. The first man had married a woman from Alabama, and bragged that he had told his wife she was going to do all the dishes and house cleaning that needed done at their house. He said that it took a couple days but on the third day he came home to a clean house and the dishes were all washed and put away.

The second man had married a woman from Ohio. He bragged that he had given his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning,dishes, and the cooking. He told them that the first day he didn't see any results, but the next day it was better. By the third day, his house was clean, the dishes were done, and he had a huge dinner on the table.

The third man had married a Maine girl. He boasted that he told her that her duties were to keep the house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed and hot meals on the table for every meal.

He said the first day he didn't see anything, the second day he didn't see anything, but by the third day most of the swelling had gone down.

ha ha, never heard that one.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Have you noticed that many of Lizzie's posts contain at least one act of violence. At first it was disconcerting but then I grew to enjoy it and now when it's absent I feel an emptiness.....:eek:

Lizzie and I do see eye to (black) eye on many issues, so I know what you mean! :cool::D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot