Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good Wife - 1955

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lots of people these days do a long-term test run, just living together to make sure they're compatible before risking half their possessions in a messy divorce. That's my plan as well. I can't think of a way to make marriage harder to enter into that I would actually support in practice, but I personally, never rush into anything.

Shacking up wasn't uncommon in the Era -- in many states, it actually had legal status as "Common Law Marriage," which imposed the same obligations on the participants as a formal marriage ceremony. The difference was, while it was hard to get a divorce when you were legally married, it was *impossible* to get a divorce when you were "common law" married.

There are still states where "common law marriage" and its attendant obligations are recognized, so cohabitators might want to check on the laws before they settle in.

We have common law marriage here. I believe you're considered married by the state after living together for 5 or 7 years, I cannot remember the exact amount of time.

Shacking up wasn't uncommon in the Era -- in many states, it actually had legal status as "Common Law Marriage," which imposed the same obligations on the participants as a formal marriage ceremony. The difference was, while it was hard to get a divorce when you were legally married, it was *impossible* to get a divorce when you were "common law" married.

There are still states where "common law marriage" and its attendant obligations are recognized, so cohabitators might want to check on the laws before they settle in.

Sad, but true, I would never wed without a prenup nowadays. I've got too much to lose, cars, a big antique collection, a bit of money put away, and hopefully a house soon.
Lots of people these days do a long-term test run, just living together to make sure they're compatible before risking half their possessions in a messy divorce. That's my plan as well. I can't think of a way to make marriage harder to enter into that I would actually support in practice, but I personally, never rush into anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24