Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Retire these Cliches

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
How about "like" when not used in a direct comparison or as an expression of appreciation??

PS. I'm a guilty "woo-hoo-er". Not often, but still... :eek:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
My self I’m an Anti Acronym man! Sick of the fallowing:

KFC,

IHOP,

QM: Queen Mary… it’s about respect.

FYI

TTYL

OMG

WaMu: not really an Acronym but, I don’t like it just the same! Sounds like some kind of animal that lives in a 3 world country lol.

I'm also tired of people talking in "Text lingo"... it seems lazy to me... ya know, the stuff that reads like a license plate? lol

FM~

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:

KFC,

IHOP,

QM: Queen Mary… it’s about respect.

FYI

TTYL

OMG

WaMu: not really an Acronym but, I don’t like it just the same! Sounds like some kind of animal that lives in a 3 world country lol.

I'm also tired of people talking in "Text lingo"... it seems lazy to me... ya know, the stuff that reads like a license plate? lol

FM~

Actually, none of those are real acronyms. An acronym has to actually form a word, e.g. SCUBA, AIDS, etc. What you are referring to are abbreviations. Okay, IHOP, I guess is an acronyms since you pronounce "hop." I am not trying to be annoying, it just bothers me when people misuse the term acronym. Thank you. Oh, and I totally agree with all of you.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I agree. I hate when someone tells me to have a good day and I come back with, "You too." I grimmace inside. What I want to say is, "And a good day to you, too." But, I'm in the habit of saying the former. [huh]

Lee

That's just one of many cliche's I'd like to abolish in my life.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dutch McCoy said:
Actually, none of those are real acronyms. An acronym has to actually form a word, e.g. SCUBA, AIDS, etc. What you are referring to are abbreviations. Okay, IHOP, I guess is an acronyms since you pronounce "hop." I am not trying to be annoying, it just bothers me when people misuse the term acronym. Thank you. Oh, and I totally agree with all of you.
Not to be pedantic, but since you've made a point of it, "KFC, IHOP, and QM (At least in these parts)" are acronyms. In the same sense, "FYI" is becoming a word in common speech, so it is both a neologism and an acronym.

"TTYL" and "OMG" I would call abbreviations, but perhaps it's different in other parts of the country. From my linguistical studies, the one thing that is absolute about languages is that nothing is absolute.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
deanglen said:
Drama

dean

Let us not only retire the use of the word, but let us retire the cause for the word most of all!!! :cheers1:

As a side note regarding words that are used too much today, let me ad swear words... we know what they are so, I wont type them but, I'm getting very tired of hearing so much cussing... I'm guilty of this too, but, it's so easy when so many people swear today. I'm trying to use old time slang and words you hear in old movies to replace such common four letter words... yeah, I'm a dork but, I'm ok with that.

FM~

griffer

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:

FM~

Forgotten Man-

For someone so against the shorthand of abbreviations, you sure have an ironic way of closing your posts.

;)

My least favorite, "To be honest with you...".

To which i reply, "I really appreciate you opting not to lie to me."

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
We could replace "drama" with "hijinks." It connotes the appropriate sense of immaturity that is most drama. Instead of saying, "I want to get a place where I don't need drama in my life," one could say, "I'm getting tired of all these hijinks."

But not, "Life is too short for..." That's another one to retire.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
dr greg said:
"Too easy"
Is this virulent nonentity of a rejoinder a problem on the other side of the Pacific?

Haven't heard that at all over here. Is it used in Britain? In what context is it used?
Two words that could be taken out at sunrise and shot:
"Awesome!" (US)
"Brilliant!" (UK)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy