Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See That Tree!

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
We're the early birds in our cul-de-sac. Wifey already put up the Christmas lights outside the day before Thanksgiving, and we put up the tree yesterday. So there it is! No gifts underneath yet. :)

0000003bi1.jpg

We also had our traditional Thanksgiving dinner as usual: Butterball turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, Stove Top stuffing, cranberry sauce, yams, rolls, olives, apple pie, pecan pie, and pumpkin cheesecake. Just me, wifey, and my 2 kids in ol' Tulsa town. Scrumptious meal and I'm stuffed to the brim. Today, left overs will be made into turkey pot pies. Can't get enough of it. lol

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Nope. Our tree doesn't go up until a week before and then comes down a week after. Can't stand seeing it longer than that. Considering all the stores around here have been playing holiday music and decorated to the hilt since before Halloween ... I'm about ready to hit myself multiple times with a very large hammer. :mad:

Richard

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Hey, it's the thought that counts.;)

Does anyone have one of those very vintage aluminum jobs that celebrants hang single colored bulbs and shine a multi-colored spinning wheel at?????

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Hey, it's the thought that counts.;)

Does anyone have one of those very vintage aluminum jobs that celebrants hang single colored bulbs and shine a multi-colored spinning wheel at?????

You just flashed me back to a few years in the early 80's when we first moved here. lol A hand me down aluminum christmas tree. Oy, that thing. The one year that I couldn't afford a tree and didn't yet have an artificial (now have three of them,I have no idea why... but am going real this year) I did an out line of a tree on the wall with chrismas lights and taped the decorations on the wall. lol. Santa still came. lol

Foofoogal

Banned
I was planning on getting my tree up today but ate too much food. :)

My honeys dad worked for Alcoa aluminum and retired from it. The whole time he was at home it was of course the aluminum tree with rotating wheel. Because of that we have always had a real tree. If you hang real lights on an aluminum tree you probably will not be having another Christmas. I want to find the recipe for the Ivory Snow one can put on trees to look like snow.
I am into vintage Christmas everything in my house.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
pretty faythe said:
You just flashed me back to a few years in the early 80's when we first moved here. lol A hand me down aluminum christmas tree. Oy, that thing.

An aluminum tree in 80s Vegas. Gorgeous, remind me to take you somewhere where the pine scent is from actual trees. :D

Richard

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I hope you early Christmas tree put'er uppers keep your trees well hydrated. Those things can be a fire hazard big time when they get too dry;) We usually put one up just a few days before Christmas when they almost give them away.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Merry Kitschmas

Here Lincsong.... Merry Kitschmas, my tree from last year. Yes, I put lights on my tree, call me a rebel or perhaps I just like to live dangerously?! The tree also sits in a musical revolving stand and has a color wheel.

tree2006.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
MaryDeluxe said:
Here Lincsong.... Merry Kitschmas, my tree from last year. Yes, I put lights on my tree, call me a rebel or perhaps I just like to live dangerously?! The tree also sits in a musical revolving stand and has a color wheel.

tree2006.jpg

Cool.:D I always drive around in the evenings looking for which elderly couple still has one. I still find a couple.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
I was planning on getting my tree up today but ate too much food. :)

My honeys dad worked for Alcoa aluminum and retired from it. The whole time he was at home it was of course the aluminum tree with rotating wheel. Because of that we have always had a real tree. If you hang real lights on an aluminum tree you probably will not be having another Christmas. I want to find the recipe for the Ivory Snow one can put on trees to look like snow.
I am into vintage Christmas everything in my house.

Ivory Snow is really easy...just add water to a a good amount of the powder until it's thick (if it's too wet, it will drip all over your carpet, and if it's too dry, it clumps too much). I usually whisk it all together, then apply with a paintbrush. Easy-peasy!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I would love to put up a real tree, but during our first year of marriage, we had a disastrous experience and my husband vowed never to have a real tree again.

We bought a fake tree our second year of marriage and it's a bit of a dinky thing, but we've had it ever since.

This year, though, I'd like something a little better and so my daughter and I are off to go shopping for a new tree tonight after work.

Foofoogal

Banned
perhaps I just like to live dangerously?!

:eek: :eek:

One time my honey was sheetrocking or dry walling and I was so green and young I grabbed 2 metal things sticking out of the wall before he had a chance to stop me somewhere in midsentence of what is this. Turned out to be a 220 plug. I was as calm as a cucumber for 2 weeks and completely understand why they used to use shock treatments on people. :eusa_doh: lol

Thanks for the recipe sweetfrancaise. I thought you had to add something to it. Great.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
For the last couple of years, we've had a real tree. I hunted around for some vintage lights for it, and already had the vintage ornaments (sort of, they're from when I was a kid). I just wanted to see a real, "old fashioned" Christmas tree again. We always put ours up right after thanksgiving. I doubt it makes much difference with a real tree when you actually decorate it - they're probably all cut about the same time. Even the vintage lights don't cause enough heat to ignite one, but keep the open flames away. Since real trees are a pain to get rid of in my neighborhood, I save mine to use a kindling in my firepit. Wow, you should see them burn! It's as intense as a coal fire, and alot easier to get started.

In addition to the real tree, we also have a white 7.5 foot prelit artificial tree. For a lot of reasons, we're just not feeling it this year, so we just put up the artificial tree and aren't bothering with the real one.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
:eek: :eek:

One time my honey was sheetrocking or dry walling and I was so green and young I grabbed 2 metal things sticking out of the wall before he had a chance to stop me somewhere in midsentence of what is this. Turned out to be a 220 plug. I was as calm as a cucumber for 2 weeks and completely understand why they used to use shock treatments on people. :eusa_doh: lol

Thanks for the recipe sweetfrancaise. I thought you had to add something to it. Great.

hahahahalol Great story!

Yup that's me, one big christmas disaster waiting to happen! ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner