Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

KilroyCD

One Too Many
anabolina said:
Ooh, they're lovely. Good luck getting the Western Flyer together.

I thought about one the the Schwinn Classics, but they all have coaster brakes and I tired out several Treks and Schwins with the coasters and I can definitely say they aren't for me. I like having the option to rest my legs while going downhill.
As long as the coaster brake is adjusted properly, you can rest your legs when coasting downhill. Unless, of course, you're looking to stop at that time. Even then, it doesn't require a lot of effort to backpedal to apply the brake (unless the brake needs adjustment). With the exception of my three English Roadsters / Sportsters, all my vintage bikes are equipped with coaster brakes. Even the Whizzer (above) has a rear coaster. I personally don't see much of an issue with them, unless they are out of adjustment or need to be serviced.
But of course, if one feels more comfortable with caliper brakes, then that's the way to go. I like having a front brake (something most coaster brake equipped bikes lack) too.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
kampkatz said:
Kilroy,
That Whizzer is outstanding. Would you be taking it to this years Reading
WW2 Airshow, by any chance?
I'd like to, but in my opinion it looks more 1950s than 1940s. I did have it there last year, but I felt it really didn't belong. Instead, I'll be taking this one again:
Columbia701a.jpg

The Shirt

Practically Family
1964 Sears (I think)

Here is my in-process restoration. Last night we got to putting on new whitewalls, grips etc. Low and behold I got too wide of tires so now the front splashguard doesn't fit. We did however get the headlight working again and the majority of it cleaned up. I've been practicing my pin-striping so that some day I can re-paint or touch up the existing stripes. I don't think I want to strip the whole bike - because I like that it is nicked up a bit. Still on a search for a seat. I think that I want a two tone schwinn but am undecided on whether I will go with a red and white or black and white one. What do you think? (excuse the messy room)

Vegas2008015.jpg

Vegas2008016.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I have a red and white Fisher saddle I had bought for a project, but didn't use. It used, but in nice shape. It would be $15 plus shipping. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send pics.
I see that you probably went with balloon tires (26x2.125"). Would the bike shop allow you to take them back and exchange them for the proper size (26x1.75")? That way you'd be able to re-fit your front mudguard. By the way, you're probably right about the brand and quite close with the vintage. It definitely looks like a Sears model, and it was made for them by Murray of Ohio.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
What have I picked up here? There is no tag on the bike,but I was told it might be an Elgin. Can anyone verify?

S6000212.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I shouldn't base an identification on one component. I was basing my assessment on the chain ring, which is likely not original to the bike. The chain ring is the Monark type, and they do look similar to Huffman. But you're right, the frame isn't a Monark. It probably is a 1936 Huffman Dayton D34.

Raging Hat On

New in Town
Sorry I don't have any photos at the moment, and well, honestly, it's not a balloon-tire but a middleweight, but it's all I've got.

I have a 1964(I think) AMF Roadmaster Saturn. It's black and red(the only color they came in? I don't know) with a faux tank, luggage rack, and cool graphics of planets and stars.

I think these are fairly common as they were department store bikes.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
KilroyCD said:
I shouldn't base an identification on one component. I was basing my assessment on the chain ring, which is likely not original to the bike. The chain ring is the Monark type, and they do look similar to Huffman. But you're right, the frame isn't a Monark. It probably is a 1936 Huffman Dayton D34.

Would you have any idea of what headstock badge it should have?

KilroyCD

One Too Many

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Raging Hat On said:
Sorry I don't have any photos at the moment, and well, honestly, it's not a balloon-tire but a middleweight, but it's all I've got.

I have a 1964(I think) AMF Roadmaster Saturn. It's black and red(the only color they came in? I don't know) with a faux tank, luggage rack, and cool graphics of planets and stars.

I think these are fairly common as they were department store bikes.

I'd love to see a photo of it. The middleweight bikes are becoming much more popular as collector bikes now as the Baby Boomers get older. I also think that bikes that take styling cues from the "space race" of the late 1950s and 1960s are just plain cool.

JRB

New in Town
Chris, I'll be across from you with the Big Red One. One of our members picked up an original WWII military bicycle at a yard sale in NJ. If he brings it, I'll make sure to show it to you. You may have seen it already since he's a regular at Ft. Miles.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy