Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your mechanical watches

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I read in some watchmaking book that new watches - as well as newly serviced watches - require a break-in period until things settle in. Ever since then I will run a newly acquired or serviced watch for about a month before tweaking it. Your Glycine is already approaching chronometer accuracy which allows from -4 to +6 seconds per day, I wouldn't be surprised if it improves even more following break-in.

You got yourself a real bargain, more folks should consider reasonbly priced watches with standard Swiss movements produced by companies such as Glycine, Oris, Tissot, Charmex & others.
Right, I'm not in any rush for pure accuracy. That's part of the charm of automatic watches -- they're mechanical rather than electronic, and yet can sometimes run at +/- 2 sec./day. (Both my '71 Rolex Date and the '77 Sub come very close to that.)

As for the bargain, +100. Especially with the prices of even vintage Rolexes and Omegas approaching the stratosphere.

ETA: I set the watch crown up last night, and it came back with about + 4 sec. over 22 hours. Very nice.

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
GLYCINE NINGALOO REEF AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH

All this Glycine talk has inspired me to pull mine out & post a shot of it:

Glycine Ningaloo Reef.jpg

It's an automatic chronograph which I picked up almost exactly 4 years ago at the deeply discounted price of $775 Amerikanski dollars. That was some 76% off of the suggested retail price.

The watch had been discontinued thus the fire sale to move the remaining stock. I was able to find the watch's specs on the Glycine web site & reproduce them here for anyone interested to review:

"
Ningaloo Reef chronograph
Ref. 3825

Movement
Caliber: ETA 7750 automatic, dualtime
Functions: hours, minutes, Chronograph 60s, counters 30min and 12hrs,
date display in window
Size: 13 1/4"'
Jewels: 25
Power Reserve: 48 hours
Hz: 4/28'800 vibrations per hour
Finish: bridges and oscillating weight on ball bearing nickel coated.

Case, Dial & Hands
Material: stainless steel
Diameter: 40mm without crown
Height: 14.50mm with solid back
15mm with see-through back
Finish: satin/polished
Waterproof: 10 atm
Back: solid steel screwed / screwed, see-through mineral glass
Glass: sapphire
Dial: black with SL, blue with SL, red with SL, white with SL
Hands: black with SL, white with SL
Crown: sticker crown

Special Features
2 push bottons 5mm

Straps & Bracelets
Leather Strap
Material: calf
Colours: black, blue, brown, red
Width: 20mm horns / 18mm buckle
Buckle: belt
Bracelet
Material: stainless steel
Finish: satin/polished
Length: 190mm incl. endpieces
Width: 20mm horns / 20mm buckle
Clasp: deployment
"
Even at its list price, this is a lot of watch for the money; deeply discounted as it was, I had to have it.

I know the watch is accurate however I've never timed it because it doesn't have a 3rd register for the running seconds. So I've started the chronograph & will use the central chronograph sweep hand to compare against the on-line atomic clock. With the chronograph running I expect the watch to run slow as is usually the case, due to power to run the chronograph mechanism being leached from the time movement (usually off of the 4th wheel).

I'll try to remember to follow-up on this post tomorrow.

viclip

Practically Family
GLYCINE NINGALOO REEF AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH

I've now timed the subject watch, as I said I would in my previous post. With the chronograph mechanism engaged, it runs +4 seconds per day. That surprisingly good performance puts it well within chronometer territory. Not at all bad for a reasonably priced timepiece housing a generic Swiss ETA movement.

viclip

Practically Family
The inside of the back cover may contain information respecting the watch's manufacturer.

Ditto for the movement itself, which could have the watch manufacturer's name on it. Also, if the movement maker can be identified that could be of assistance in dating the watch & perhaps nailing down the manufacturer.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here

feltfan

Did your watch shop contact idenfify the precise Record Watch Co. movement which is housed in your watch?
Nope. Didn't think to ask. You can see it's 15 jewel and made in Switzerland. I don't think he knew that the mark meant Record Watch Co. But I don't know.

What's the difference here? Are you curious about anything in particular?

viclip

Practically Family
Nope. Didn't think to ask. You can see it's 15 jewel and made in Switzerland. I don't think he knew that the mark meant Record Watch Co. But I don't know.

What's the difference here? Are you curious about anything in particular?

Sorry, I didn't mean to pry. It's just that in your initiating post you had said:

"British WW2 no-name service watch? 1940? 15 jewels. Anyone know more about this? "

feltfan

Sorry, I didn't mean to pry. It's just that in your initiating post you had said:

"British WW2 no-name service watch? 1940? 15 jewels. Anyone know more about this? "
Didn't think you were prying. Just wondered what it is I should be looking for. A good watch shop doesn't necessarily know all the details about a less well-known brand. I don't know how he dated it to 1940, though it seems about right, looking at contemporary watches. Glad to learn about it and glad to answer your questions if I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff