Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your mechanical watches

Yahoody

One Too Many
14 and watch.jpg

Yahoody

One Too Many
Two bespoke mechanical watches. Both of these are based on Sellita COSC-certified movements. A few months ago I had no clue there was a cottage industry based solely on building such beautiful, vintage style, and superbly accurate time pieces. Watch making has come a long ways in the last 50 years!

1695582278803.jpeg

1695581957969.jpeg

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
This is probably old hat to you mechanical guys. I used to work for a guy who managed a Rolex shop in the top 10% by sales, so I have a little experience (not a lot of knowledge though) with watches. I watched the operation from afar, but not too far. I don't own a good watch, but I very much appreciate them. I got sucked into the video with John Mayer and Ed Sheeran on Hodinkee. Sheeran's taste is not my taste, but I really appreciated how Mayer talked about watches. I then watched the videos he did years ago (also on Hodinkee). Say what you will about him, because he can be an irritation and cringy, but he can talk watches and life in an entertaining and fun way. It doesn't hurt that he can drop $250K on a novelty AP Spiderman watch on a whim and that these guys have the big watches houses on speed dial, being able to go into the factory and modify/personalize their watches at will. A different league, but that notwithstanding, Mayer knows his stuff. Anyone who has also watched these videos have an opinion or anything to say?

Yahoody

One Too Many
I've owned many fine watches. Still own a few. None give me any more pleasure to wear, much to my surprise, than the homage Milsub with a Seiko Nh35 automatic winding movement. When I started wearing a Rolex in the late '70s, watches of the current price, quality and accuracy of the current milsub homages were just not available.

$500 in 1976 was a lot of money and the cost of a no date sub on the civilian market. Even less in the PX.

$500 in 1976 would be worth $2700 in today's dollars. And still $2700 is not even close to any Rolex price today. That $2700 was a common selling price of a modern Submariner prior to 2000. And again, $2650 in 1999 would be worth $4,895.80 today.

I still laugh and am amazed at a modern Seiko mechanical movement that sells for a good bit less than $50. But my wife and I are both wearing one today and have been for several months now. Sure the Sellita COSC-certified movements are a nice upgrade. But is a $200 upgraded movement really needed?

I've wore a Rolex long enough to know if I want an accurate watch to simply buy a cheap quart movement. But somehow that seems like cheating :) And the steady, click, click, of a quartz second hand offends me compared to the smooth sweep and "heartbeat" of a mechanical movement.

IMG_0445.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner