Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
My Elgin A-11 is my daily Hack, my pretty watch is a little '40s Mido Multifort- octagonal stainless case- have a couple of Russian military watches and a few more to repair- I'm down to 2 'wearer' watches at present.

Paddy, is that Panerai worth more than a couple of G?

B
T

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Where's a good place to get vintage / vintage repro watches?

If Ebay, what do I look for, what search terms do I use, and what vendors do I trust?

I have no problem with a repro, since it is more likely to be mechanically sound and easy to use.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Mine is a Luminox Navy Seal Dive watch. Not vintage at all, but I love how bright that tritium spiked gas glows in the dark!:

PAGE1.jpg

Michaelson

One Too Many
Today, my 1899 18s 11j Illinois model 99 openface pocketwatch.

Madhatter, a good man to buy watches from is Rich Kuhn, my watchmaker, who has an ebay site, and lists under 'watchmakerfinds'. He currently has nothing posted, but keep an eye on his page, as he usually posts 9 or 10 at a time, and they're all completely restored and guaranteed for 90 days. He rebuilds watches to use, not put in a box to admire (though you could with the ones he puts up!) Check him out. He does great wristwatch repair work too! a real master craftsman.

Regards. Michaelson

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Love the Doxa!

ShanghaiJack said:
For the Retro "Eagle Squadron" / "V.B.S." Volunteer in me, I have and wear a 1936 Doxa Chronograph.
Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

Just dig that Doxa, what a fine find!! what history to it..?

I used to years ago but the strain on my eyes from working on such small parts just won't do any more. I can usually figure out what is wrong just my checking it out though.
Maybe I need to contact Michaelson's guy. I have tons of work to get done---along with parts and such. :p
What I am most sorry about passing on was a musical pocketwatch. That was really something.

Regards to all,

J

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
I do some repair, although my tools are somewhat limited. I can clean and oil, change balance staff, number of other repairs. Don't have the hardware to replace jewels:( But, if anyone should be in the market to sell some tools, I'm always interested:)

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Just in case

I'm looking for a vintage pocket watch in gold. I don't want gold filled and I want the hunters case.

Here is an example of what I want. It does not need to be this fine but nice!!

http://barrygoldberg.net/watch65.htm

I wear a Rolex President with DD and a Rolex GMT. Had them for years and love them both.
HuntingI I wear a Luminox 1602. :)

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Does it matter whether the watch is 18 size or not? There's a certain delightful heft to the 18 size watch, which makes them more sought after. Also drives up the price:)

*EDIT*

Did some looking in the NAWCC Mart, and ran across something that may be of interest. Depends on whether you're willing to spend the cash, or not. It's 1/4 repeater with a sweep second hand, chronograph movement, in an 18k gold hunter case. He wants $3,500 for it, name is Ted de Lorenzo, ph 313-885-5687.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Like BellyTank, I have an Elgin A-11. I don't wear it often, usually to events like the one tonight - I'm going to a huge swing dance aboard the U.S.S. Hornet, I'll be dressed in my best AAF uniform.

I have my grandpa's Benrus that he bought prior to going into the Army in WWII, and he wore during his 35 years at Lockheed. It still keeps perfect time. Simple round face, nothing remarkable, but it's a nice casual watch.

My flashy watch is a Gruen Curvex, with a black face and silver case. I have a gourgeous Hamilton Milton, as well, but I broke the balance staff just 2 hours after taking delivery of it! Don't ever drop a vintage watch.

My 'ugly' modern watch is a Timex chronograph...I bought it because it looked like an aircraft instrument. Lots of white whisker hands on a black face, with white lettering and no flashy colors. The thing is too dang big and heavy, though. I have small wrists, and feel as if I'm dragging 'round a paperweight on my wrist. I like the fact that I have a handy timer, though.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Like The Wingnut, BellyTank has small wrists....
Yeah, me too- hate big watches- kind of defeats the purpose of it being a wristwatch doesn't it? I like those old Gruen Tank watches, I had one a while back but no more. I like vintage watches, delicate and small and reflecting the technology of the age.
Watches are one of the things I would never spend thousands on though.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112