Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Decodence

A-List Customer
That officer is great looking. Never been one for full manuals myself though. Better have a pendulum or rotor inside for me, so it is safe in your safe 4k miles away ;)

JEEP

Practically Family
I actually prefer full manuals. Except form waking my girlfriend with a kiss and drinking coffee winding and setting the choosen watch of the day is my favourite part of my mornings :)

Regards.

Jakob

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My old Oris...

This is the one I took to the states and it performs consistently well all the time!! plus it has a great vintage art deco look to it. Shame they don't make this model anymore in this style.

oris5di.jpg

oris12jk.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
That one sure is a beauty Paddy :eusa_clap

My girlfriend has just sent me a message saying that the package with the Omega Officer is waiting for me at my desk. Yay! :)

/Jakob

Decodence

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
This is the one I took to the states and it performs consistently well all the time!! plus it has a great vintage art deco look to it. Shame they don't make this model anymore in this style.

oris5di.jpg

oris12jk.jpg
Love that watch. Weren't they around 400 pounds new? Any idea of present values on them?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OFFICER on deck...!!

That OMEGA is a beauty!! (I'm wearing the MoonWatch right now with Luftwaffe leather strap in brown). Is it a new acquisition then? and where did you manage to bag such a beauty?

If some of you gents are into military watches, then the MWR website/forum is for you!

JEEP

Practically Family

I have just unwrapped the Omega officer from the box it came in. It is absolutely inredible! I have never ever seen one in such good condition - and knowing the seller I know that the dial is original.

Both the black dialled Omegas are bought from a private collector I have come into contact with through a danish watch forum. He is doing a "clean up" in his collection. I have been lucky to obtain the watches at some very good prices.

I have a third watch coming from the same source; a 1938 14 karat gold Omega in 30 mm.

I may also be lucky to get my hands on a 40s or 50s art-deco Elgin with original band and box and a nicely patinated dial - but time will tell.

In opposite to most people I am quite fond of the small (according to modern standards anyway) gents watches of the 30s and 40s - quite a few of my friends has asked me lately why I have stated to wear ladies watches lol

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
I have just recieved confirmation that I have won the auction for this gold case Elgin with original band and box:

529877050_Big.jpg

529877050_3_Big.jpg

529877050_2_Big.jpg

As soon as I get it I will bring it to my watch repairman for a check-up and a changing of the crystal.

Does anybody know when this watch was made? My guess is sometime in the 50s.

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SamMarlowPI: Nice one - wery stylish. How big is the case and which kind of movement does it have?

Adele: What a beauty! Might I be able to convince you to post some colour photographs of it?

/Jakob

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
I've acquired an interest in military watches lately - I can only confirm Paddy's praise for the MWR forum (Military Watch Resource).

It was bought for ~$50 in an antique shop in Oslo. The seller had a couple of them left, but said he'd bought a number of them, all NOS. There is almost no information to be found about the maker.

It's 40 mm lug-to-lug. The strap is original, and the case is brown gunmetal-coloured stainless steel. No markings except those visible in the photos. The quality is utilitarian, if not downright cheap, so I doubt that the value is anything greater than what I paid.

DSC02572.jpg

DSC02571.jpg

DSC02561.jpg

Speedster

Practically Family
JEEP said:

I have just unwrapped the Omega officer from the box it came in. It is absolutely inredible! I have never ever seen one in such good condition - and knowing the seller I know that the dial is original.

Both the black dialled Omegas are bought from a private collector I have come into contact with through a danish watch forum. He is doing a "clean up" in his collection. I have been lucky to obtain the watches at some very good prices.

I have a third watch coming from the same source; a 1938 14 karat gold Omega in 30 mm.

I may also be lucky to get my hands on a 40s or 50s art-deco Elgin with original band and box and a nicely patinated dial - but time will tell.

In opposite to most people I am quite fond of the small (according to modern standards anyway) gents watches of the 30s and 40s - quite a few of my friends has asked me lately why I have stated to wear ladies watches lol

Regards.

Jakob

Jacob, those two Omegas are beautiful. Krognos has a similar one for sale at the moment.

JEEP

Practically Family
Speedster said:
Jacob, those two Omegas are beautiful. Krognos has a similar one for sale at the moment.

I spotted that on vintageure.dk - it's a beauty. I am seriously considering buying it.

/Jakob

D

DeaconKC

This one was found in an old railroad station and I know almost nothing about it. I did just send it off to be cleaned and checked out. If I had known this would come up I'd have had more pics of it before I sent it off.
gunsandleather005.jpg

gunsandleather016.jpg

As you can see I kept it just to use with photos as it would not stay running. I am in awe of the many elegant watches shown here, my best one is a very solid 10+ year old titanium Seiko divers watch my wife bought me.

JEEP

Practically Family
Nice pocketwatch DeaconKC. Found it in an old railroad station? That sounds intriguing. Are there more to that story?

/Jakob

D

DeaconKC

Thanks, it's stamped Oklahoma Leather Company, Miami LT. Hopes this helps
The watch came from an old CE&I depot that was torn down, wish I did know more about it as I love old trains.

JEEP

Practically Family
Old trains are indeed easy to love - I have spend contless houers at The Danish Railway Museum in Odense.

The Elgin arrived today - it seems to be in good condition. I will post pics as soon as I have had it past my watch repairman for a chekup and a change of crystal and band. The band that came with the watch is of a quite poor quality - I have a hard time believing that it is the band the watch was born with. The box is in excellent condition. Did anyone have an idea about the date of the watch (see pics in a previous post)?

/Jakob

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Looking for new watch that's "vintage"

I already own a 1933 Waltham watch.

It is something I really don't want to wear it everyday having already busted the mainspring.

My question is:

Does anyone know of any higher-end watches (quartz - and don't make a face about that) that echoes the Golden Age? I am looking at some very nice Hamilton's, for instance. (I also like the James Bond Omega's but I don't want to spend $1400 on a watch).

I am not looking for the retro-repros (at about $79) you can get from those catalogs that sell PBS-related merchandise.

Please offer your ideas and opinons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay