Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Hamilton Watch Opinion?

I am interested in picking up a new Hamilton watch - the Dodson.

dodson.gif

The local Sam's Club has one with a metal band but the metal seems so cheap, it keeps grabbing my arm hair.

Does anyone have it in metal? Should I just buy one with a leather band? The metal has been discontinued btw.

Then there is the Blaine:

blaine.jpg

I also have seen online the Mount Vernon...which I like a little better. But not having put in on my wrist, I am afraid it may be too big! 47mm long!

hamvernon.jpg

Thoughts on either choice?

Hamilton in the 1990's also did a repro of its 1931 watch. I have only seen a picture of it and it looks good, but I am afraid it is cheaply put together. I don't expect it to be a mechanical watch, but today's Hamilton's have a nice weight and a beautiful crystal cover.

Edward

Bartender
Never owned one myself. They seem to be nice watches, though all the ones I've seen in stores seem to be quartz. If you don't have a preference for mchanical (as I and many others here do), then they might be a good option.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've found the old fashioned flex/stretch metal bands are the wrist hair grabbers. The more modern style of clasp bracelet don't bother me much. But I suspect it's a case of the "weave" of the band metal, tighter being more comfortable. The problem might be finding anaftermarker metal one at all that both looks right and won't pinch.

Randy

Familiar Face
I've had Hamilton watches in the past - their movements are not too bad, all things considered. Quite reliable for the cost, at least when I last bought one.

- R

lt508th

New in Town
"Circa" wristwatches

Good afternoon all! I'm new to this forum and this is my first posting. You might want to check out these watches: http://estore.websitepros.com/1667212/Categories.bok?category=Retro+Watches
I don't own one myself, however, I have seen one in person and they look spot on, don't cost a fortune and seem very well made. The link to the site above isn't the only place that carries these watches, however, they seem to have the best price. If you go directly to the Circa Watch site, the watches retail I believe for around $139.00. I've seen them on eBay as well, but they still seem to go for about $130.00, +/- $10.00.

I've thought about purchasing one myself, but I already own 4 military hack watches (all WWII dated) and a Bulova tank watch with a 1939 dated movement, so I'm really all set! Of course, I suppose that I could always make room for just one more :) Thanks and looking forward to reading more and posting more information when I can. ~ Tim

JEEP

Practically Family
Just got this pic in an MMS from a fellow watch collector, he knows that I like art-deco watches and has bought this for me:

28022008.jpg

It's a Louis Grisel, probably from the 20s or early 30s - unfortunally it is not running, but I am sure that my watchmaker will see to that :)

Here is a pic of my new Revue Thommen 30s sport (right), together with my vintage Omega Officer:

Ure.jpg

The Revue Thommen 30s sport is imho. the best quality repro vintage watch on the market, it is fitted with a mechanical hand wound manual movement - the production of this model is limited to 4999 watches and it is becoming hard to come by, I was lucky to find one in a local watch store. The model is a reproduction of an actual watch produced by Revue Thommen in the 30s. A 50s model with an automatic movement has also been launched; http://www.revue-thommen.ch/sport.htm

/Jakob

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I think I'll go with the Dodson. Sam's has one (and only one) with a steel band and its cheaper than the one's I have found online with a leather band. Hamilton told me I can get the leather band from a dealer.

The dodson is a self-winding mechanical watch with a mineral case. It is based on the company's mid-40's Dodson. I think it will look awesome!

My wife was happy I chose it. Originally, I had been saving for an Omega Seamaster. The Hamilton is stylish but a heckava lot less expensive. SO I gues I can use the money I saved to buy more vintage stuff. LOL.

Thanks for all opinions. Keep them coming if you feel like it!

kschurch

Vendor
Good Choice!

Brian,

Beautiul watch. Plus I believe that Hamiliton has been stepping it up in the look and quality of their watches over the last few years.

I don't know how large the Dodson face is, but I can tell you that the larger faces can cause interference with your cuff. I have a Omega Railmaster in a 46 and although I love it, it's just not comforatable under my shirt cuff.

Sounds as if you took that into account in your decision.

Congratulations - but don't give up on that Seamaster...they're great watches!

Church

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
My wife reminded me that I had tried the Mt Venon a few years ago and it wouldn't slide under my cuff. It looked like I had some lo-jack bracelet on my wrist. The Dodson is a reseasonable size.

JEEP

Practically Family
Wisely choosen :)

It is a sad truth that most modern vintage replicas are hideously oversized - it seems that the manufacturers are afraid that the modern man will bypass the smaller watches as ladies' watches.

/Jakob

Flivver

Practically Family
Back in the 1990s, Hamilton reproduced many of their classic 1920s to 1950s watches, in their original size but with modern electronic movements. These got closed out at Filene's Basement in Boston at ridiculously low prices and I was able to get several.

Models available included Piping Rock (my favorite), Boulton, Ventura and several others. They also did women's watches in the same series.

At the same time, Gruen did a repro line of their wonderful Curvex watches.

My Hamilton and Gruen repros have stood up well although I don't wear them daily. I would guess that watches from this series would be available on e-bay from time to time at relatively low prices.

Moby

Familiar Face
To me the Mount Vernon has the most accurate vintage look. I would go with the leather band. Most new metal bands don't have the correct vintage appearance. Size could be a problem as far as vintage accuracy for any of these. JMHO

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
Leon Piradet watches?

Today while shopping at an antique store on lunch I spied a very handsome watch that was branded as Leon Piradet. I found only two listings on ebay and even less in general information via Google. Do any of you fellow loungers know about Leon Piradet's quality or history?

JEEP

Practically Family
Back in the days there were an almost infinite number of big and small watch manufacturers. I do not know the maker you are refering to - but from the listings on ebay the watches look to be of quite a fair quality. How much is the antique dealer charging for the watch?

/Jakob

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
A good watch.

I bought a Hamilton Ventura repro in 1993. I got it for half off ($250) and I still wear it, it works beautifully and accurate. People stop me all the time to compliment me on it and ask where they can find one. Hamilton still makes the Ventura but it sells for around $599:eek: I saw one at the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and it is actually bigger than mine. It's a good watch in my opinion.:eusa_clap

I use leather bands only because my skin is super sensitive and I break out in a nasty rash whenever I wear metal bands.

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
The Dealer is asking $60 and I am tempted to pick it up just because it is reasonably inexpensive and very handsome. I just thought I would get info if there is any available from the knowledgeable Fedora Loungers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn