Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Mycroft said:
Hey Chad, Where did you find your watch? It intreges me.
The citizen was a gift. I am not sure where it came from. The watch for the blind was in a catalogue. I think it was a Johnson Smith catalogue full of "things you never new existed".

Chad

Michaelson

One Too Many
Ok....an 18s 17j Hampden Special Railway with a solid gold train with a 60 hours mainspring? (grins) Sorry.....couldn't resist! :D I give...what? Regards! Michaelson

Nope. A Knickerbocker Watch Company--Barclays 8 Day. It was a cheap watch for its day but rare enough to make one willing to go for it. Sort of like the Longwind.
I got three chains and an extra case with it. Not bad for $50. :p
By the way, I need a pallet fork for one of my other swiss 8 days. Know of anyone who would have one of those?

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Knickerbocker, eh? I had one in my hand last winter, but it was in REAL bad shape, so I passed on it.

You may want to check with Dashto, Inc. Tom Mister has a lot of parts to choose from, and probably has exactly the part you need! Dashto

Regards! Michaelson

Thanks, I will check it out.
You had an 8 day in your hand eh? Not bad. Considering what they are worth, it might have been worth the effort to fix it up. The face on mine is not exactly great but they can easily be rebuilt---not cheaply though I am afraid. :p The regular Knickerbockers aren't exactly worth messing with unless they are nearly mint---with the original box. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
No argument there. Problem with me and my collection is I carry what I collect, and I'd be pretty reluctant to carry that Knickerbocker, so why get it? Let the true collector grab it up for their collection. As for me, I'll keep looking around for those unloved Hamilton's, Hampdens, Elgins, and Illiniois out there....(grins) Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
As for me, I'll keep looking around for those unloved Hamilton's, Hampdens, Elgins, and Illiniois out there....(grins) Regards! Michaelson

Unloved? Good luck. Those brands are loved around the world---especially the high grade ones. There will always be a nut willing to pay $200 for a 7 jewel of any one of them on e****. :p

Regards to all,

J

Have you kissed your Elgin today?

Michaelson

One Too Many
They're not looking in the right places. I'm carrying at this moment a Hamilton 974 'Electric Special', 17j, 1915, 16s, 14k gold case, picked up for $85 month before last. Like I said with the glasses frames, ya gotta turn over a lot of rocks, but I'm finding them, and they're all keepers too....Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Sure is. Mint dial too. I was lucky, but it's been a good year in finding watches so far....

How about a Hamilton 18s model 940 21j for less than $125? Recently overhauled too. Gold filled swing out case wasn't the best, with some brass showing, and a few dents, but that's to be expected from an actual used railroad watch.

Regards! Michaelson

You definitely need to get that camera back. We need pictures here. ;) Those movements are interesting to look at with all their jewels, damaskeen and engraving. They were not only time pieces but works of art put together by master craftsmen. I suppose only the swiss still do it the old fashioned way but gone are the gold jeweled settings and gold trains. Unless you want to spend about $10,000 or more for such a watch. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk