Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Joke:

Man walks into a five star hotel bar and sees a beautiful women sitting at the bar and walks up to her
Man: "Hi, what is your name?"
Women: "Patek"
Man: "You mean Patek like Patek Philippe the watch"
Woman: "Yes, same price, different movement"

wahine

Practically Family
I got a few old (well, not rrreally old) watches:

This one is from my mom, I think it to be from the early sixties, but I'm not sure.
I can't even tell if it still works, I haven't tried it in a while (doesn't fit my wrist anyway). It's hand winded.

This is from my mom as well, it's even younger (mid-seventies): An automatic Dugena.
My dad gave it to her as a present when I was born. She died a few days later, so she never wore it.
Her sister (my aunt) wore it several years and she gave it to me when I was a teenager. I wore it some time, too and got it in a really bad condition:

My aunt had it repaired for me recently. I might take a picture of it how it looks now.

This Roamer is from my grandma, it's most likely from the early seventies. This model was made for quite a while (I think it was originally an army model).
I love the look of it and would like to wear it but unfortunately, the hand winding doesn't work although my aunt had it repaired (the watchmaker got ecstatic about it, but his repairing made it work for a few hours and that was it).

This is the oldest one I have and it even works. It must be from the fifties, I think. It's from my grandmother and hand winded, too.

Rat Pack

One of the Regulars
Let's see your vintage watches

Having been recently sniped on a 50's gold watch I really wanted, I was interested in what the rest of you loungers are wearing to get my mind off my recent loss...

I think am going to order an Art Fawcett to get my mind off it.

Talbot

One Too Many
A cheapie my wife found for me recently

I like it a lot though.

T

P1010830.jpg

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap Amazing pocket watches! Someday I have to buy one for me too. It's something I am thinking of lateley even if I don't wear it so often. They are just amazing.

But until then I have a "new" toy to wear, the Hamilton Lawrence from 1936:
lawrence3.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Although I'm not a fan of wristwatches, I have always admired the 1930s-40s tank-style rectangular watches such as that one there, Berman. I think it's quite fetching. One day, I shall have to buy such a watch for myself.

Talbot

One Too Many
Unlucky Berman said:
:eusa_clap Amazing pocket watches! Someday I have to buy one for me too. It's something I am thinking of lateley even if I don't wear it so often. They are just amazing.

But until then I have a "new" toy to wear, the Hamilton Lawrence from 1936:
lawrence3.jpg

There's something about blued hands.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I'm jumping into the watch game soon (In the next week or so). I've got my heart set on a Rolex and my eye on a very clean and recently serviced 70's oysterdate. Any other suggestions that'll come in under the $1500 mark?
The same joint has a '45 Speedking that tugs at the heart strings, but it's a little outside my ideal budget and the '52 SK just doesn't quite do it for me.
There's also an Oyster Essex that I've got my eye on that's well within the budget. It's a little plain, but very classy. If I went that route, I'd probably buy myself another Dunhill lighter with the change.

/|\

One of the Regulars
Boy, I need to get a better camera so I can take photos!

The watch I wear every day is a Rolex GMT Master II with the black-and-red bezel and a Jubilee bracelet. Here's a paste-up I made when I was deciding whether to put the Jubilee bracelet on:

gmt-jubilee-oyster.jpg

I had the Devil's own time finding an original, brand-new Jubilee bracelet with the proper end-links. Rolex is a little persnickety about what they'll sell, so I had to find a jeweler that had one.

My other vintage watches are:
  • A late-1970s stainless steel Rolex Submariner non-date;
  • Three 1974 stainless steel Seiko Bell-Matics with blue dials like this one. (Sorry about the eBay link. It's the only pic I could find.) One of them was dad's which he bought new. After having it overhauled by Seiko, I didn't want to risk damaging it so I bid on two that were on auction on eBay about a decade ago. I ended up winning both auctions. :eusa_doh: Anyway, I took them to Seiko and had them both overhauled.
  • Dad's early-1960s stainless steel Vulcain Cricket;
  • Dad's 1953 gold-tone Zodiac;
  • A new, but vintage-looking, Hamilton Ventura;
  • A 1990s Stocker 7 Yale military issue watch.

I still have my Timex automatic I got when I was about ten. Unfortunately, it no longer ticks. I took it to a jeweler and he said, 'This watch never run again!' I'll bet it could, if a watchmaker wanted to make it run. i believe it needs a new mainspring.

The other two watches I can think of that I have are my 1986 Seiko Sports 100 Chronograph, and a 1980s or 1990 deco-looking Fossil that features a DC-3.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
The GMT is a nice looking watch. I wouldn't mind getting one someday, but for now, I want something plain, but classy. For everything else, I've got a Seiko Kinetic that I can't seem to kill.

Talbot

One Too Many
HHISIII said:
I'm jumping into the watch game soon (In the next week or so). I've got my heart set on a Rolex and my eye on a very clean and recently serviced 70's oysterdate. Any other suggestions that'll come in under the $1500 mark?
The same joint has a '45 Speedking that tugs at the heart strings, but it's a little outside my ideal budget and the '52 SK just doesn't quite do it for me.
There's also an Oyster Essex that I've got my eye on that's well within the budget. It's a little plain, but very classy. If I went that route, I'd probably buy myself another Dunhill lighter with the change.

An early to mid 50's Oyster should fit your budget if you like the look and can live with wind up. Personally I love wind up. Automatic movement and date window seem to be price point drivers. Shop around - part of the fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24