Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
John in Covina said:
who is making the watches for his company.
Someone in China most likely.

That is an astute observation. Back when I was thinking about splurging for a replica Rolex (we shall not discuss this matter) I did some research and as near as I can tell, the Japanese are making the only automatic movements for the $300-$500 range out there. I believe Kenneth Cole uses "Geneva" (not to be confused with "Geneve") movements.

I'm sure my Invecta has a Japanese movement in it, but it looks good (transparent back) and runs just fine. It is what it is.

Mark

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I understand that the automatic movement Seiko puts in its dive watches is quite reliable. A functional automatic movement does not have to be expensive. Maybe Kenneth Cole has some cachet with him or his set, but I'd go with the Seiko.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Anyone have any recommendation for a small (ca 36mm or perhaps square or rectangular), stainless steel, automatic watch, perhaps on a strap, dressy as opposed to sporty? I'm sick and tired of wearing ten pounds of metal on my wrist and watch faces the size of saucers.

theinterchange

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
Viola,
Orient Watch USA offers many styles of "automatic" mechanical watches that have a pretty good rep for that type of watch on the cheap. They have Chinese made internals which seems to be the primary reason they are able to hit that kind of investment level, and they also have deals ALL THE TIME. Sign up for their newsletter and you will get some offers for substantial discounts over and above their regular pricing.

http://orientwatchusa.com/

I've personally not handled any of their wares, but the Watchuseek forums seem to regard them fairly well for $100-150 mechanical watches.

I've long heard good things about Orient, and so, I ordered a "Mako" from Amazon.com... long story short, the watch went back in 3-4 days after I received it. In a space of less than 55 minutes, the watch gained nearly 2 1/2 hours and 2 days... plus it would only move ahead to the Spanish day, I'd have to manually adjust to English. shakeshead Then it started either advancing the day or date every 12 hours. [huh]

I must say I was quite disappointed in the quality of the movement. The case and bracelet were GREAT looking, the watch was hefty, too. I'll readily admit to most likely having the one rotten apple in a bushel, but wanted to toss my experience out there.

I have several Timexes that have served me well. But my "favorite" is a Seiko chronograph, and am thinking of getting a Seiko Divers watch. [Either that or a Citizen Eco-Drive diver]

Randy

P.S Orient's movements are Japanese, not Chinese.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Two Watches

Just saw an interesting documentary on Ferry Command, the pilots that flew aircraft from Canada to the UK during WWII. In one of the seens, the pilot is taking barrings using a sexton, he has two wrist watches on! I know my hack watches are not real accurate, but he really didn't trust his!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Watches

Shangas said:
Is it possible that the two watches are for two different timezones (which is probably important information to know, when flying around the world).
Could be the reason, however, the plane would have one or even two 8 day clocks! I know they were very worried about being off course, and Dead Reckoning is done by speed and time!

Stoneface

New in Town
As I was looking for a proper watch that matches my suit I stumbled across this one:

2useih5.jpg

15 Euro was okay so I ordered it and was surprised how huge it was:

8x32j8.jpg

:eek:

But soon I found the one at the right at a local discounter for just 7 Euro.

Talbot

One Too Many
Stearmen said:
Could be the reason, however, the plane would have one or even two 8 day clocks! I know they were very worried about being off course, and Dead Reckoning is done by speed and time!

Interesting. Could the two watches be due to cold? There is a lot at stake if your time reading is out.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Harman Swiss Driver

4627326232_a776543762_o.jpg

The lugs have an extra pivot position(semi-fixed) to stabilize it on the side of the wrist if desired.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Is this one that is worn on the side of the wrist? I can't tell from the picture. [huh]
Its on the side in the picture, but if you release the lugs(from the fully rotated locking position) so they pivot freely it sits fine in the regular position.

rjenkins

New in Town
Pocket watches

These are a few examples from my Father's collection. They were sold on ebay some years ago.

A 'Walker' (1867?):

Walker-Front-Open.jpg

Walker-Rear-Closed.jpg

Walker-Rear-Open.jpg

A 'Hebdomas' with open escapement:

Hebdomas-Front-Closed.jpg

Hebdomas-Front-Open.jpg

Hebdomas-Rear-Open.jpg

And a Waltham:

Waltham-Front.jpg

Waltham-Rear-Open.jpg

I have photos of a few more, but this post is already rather long & I don't want to take too much space unless there is definite interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy