Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

A.R. McVintage

Neither position is completely right, and neither is completely wrong.

If I were you, I'd simply point out to my friend that when people pay hundreds (and sometimes thousands) for gold watches, if they only wanted it for durability, stainless is ever so much cheaper.

If the argument continues beyond that, he's being obstinate to be obstinate.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
A dresswatch has leather band IMO. First of all its more stylish with the thinner watch. (Dresswatches are always thin, in order to go under the cuff of the dinnershirt.
And another very practical reason:
Leatherband ends up smelly, if you wear it every day.:eek:
And you do not wear a dresswatch every day, do you?

I don't think there's an answer to this one. As DrGreg says: Horses for Courses. Anything you read here is total speculation and opinion, rather than fact.

:eek:fftopic:

As an aside on that Patek Phillipe. I've never been able to trust a watch that doesn't have a second hand. There's something quite hypnotic about watching [he he] the second hand sweep around the face of a Rolex. Almost seamless, it's counting so many subsecond time-points.

And i'm not a fan of gold, in general. But that's just because my skin tone can't deal with less than 22K. Not a good material for making watches out of. Singapore, here i come!!

bk

Edward

Bartender
Try Silk Street in Beijing if you make it out that way - that's where my "Rolex" came from. Heh. Not that I'm a big fan of playing ast and loose with intellectual property, but given that even if I had several grand to spend on a watch I don't think I could being myself to do it, a fake at a tenner didn't exactly rob them of a sale... ;)

Personally, I go by design rather than the materials. My present dress watch is stainless with gold plate. Being quartz (I know, I know.... I got it years ago), it is exceptionally slim and fine which I believe lends it well to being a dress piece. My other watches were specifically chose as daily wearers, and these are all much chunkier (and mechanical auto-winders). They are also leather bands. Not so much by deliberate choice as that's what they happened to come with.

Recently I've not been wearing a watch at all at the dress watch needs repaired (it sat unworn for yars and the old dead battery leaked), most of my others don't have straps (I'm thinking of investing in some metal bracelets for some of them as my skin eats cheap leather inside a year) just at present, and my favourite, which has a great chunky leather strap that doesn't absobs sweat and thus doesn't smell has stopped - dust in the works, I think.... bah. Must get onto that when I have the time... I hate being reliant on digging out the mobile for the time....

When I have more disposable cash, I'd consider something more vintage style for dress wear. I might even look when I'm in Beijing - if you ignore issues of labelling, I've actually seen some beautiful watches that are the equivalent of something affordable but good here (the $100 or so range) selling for much less ($30 or so).

Flitcraft

One Too Many
When I have more disposable cash, I'd consider something more vintage style for dress wear.

Check out Hamilton, if you get a chance. They have several re-issues of vintage styles, as well as new interpretations, that might fit the bill.

As far as the dress watch debate, until recently it was connsidered that the slimmer and simpler the watch, the more "dressy" it was. Ian Fleming mentions this in describing Sir Hugo Drax in Moonraker.

As with so many "rules", this one is often broken in the name of personal style.

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
I guess he and I will be buying each other a drink, as neither is right or wrong. I'll keep wearing my metal bands, he'll wear his leather, and we'll keep going on as we have.

And, NonEntity, forgive me my spelling errors (which is why I have a great secretary) and also my manner of arguing, being too much a lawyer. As the Bard said, "This above all, to thine own self be true." And I can do nothing else.:eek:

tonyper

Familiar Face
Leather, dress

hi all, I think the leather is the dress band, but only with a fine Gold watch. It all depends on the size of the watch also, Some look huge with a leather band. You guys now what I mean. I have a fine gold Longines, took the leather band and used it on another watch. The Longines with the metal band on it now is not the same watch it was with the leather. Leather with a Fine watch is Dress to me. Then again to each his own..

regards Tony

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
The idea of a watch ("dress" or otherwise) with a battery also makes me cringe. But then, having a watchmaker father tends to spoil one for choice.

bk

Oh, tell me about it. I'd not buy one myself today, but back in '94 I didn't know that auto-winders existed, or I would have gone for one of those.... c'est la vie. i'll never buy another battery-watch, though.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
on that Patek Phillipe. I've never been able to trust a watch that doesn't have a second hand.

Happy now. ;)

Patek3919_03.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Flitcraft said:
, until recently it was connsidered that the slimmer and simpler the watch, the more "dressy" it was. Ian Fleming mentions this in describing Sir Hugo Drax in Moonraker.
It was Flemming who had Bond wearing a diving watch (submariner)with formal wear. :eek:

Flitcraft said:
As with so many "rules", this one is often broken in the name of personal style.

I've noticed that it's often the gents who choose Rolex , a sport watch, to be their one and only watch, from tuxedo to swimsuit.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JEEP said:
Re-dialing a watch means replacing the original dial with a new one (mostly a reproduction of the original). It is done on vintage watches with broken/damaged dials and sometimes, by not so honest watch repairmen, in order to make the watch seem in better shape than it is (thus making it more worth to collectors). It would be a great shame to ruin a beautiful vintage watch like yours by replacing the dial.

Regards.

Jakob
Thanks......

pgoat

One Too Many
here's mine

I have five currently:

My dad's old Bulova - 1957 rolled gold. Nothing fancy but one of my only personal items I have to remember him by. It actually fits nicely under a french cuff though (only a 32mm case - Dad was small). I'll try to scan a pic soon.

The following pics are not my watches, just a representative image of each model:

L10828654.jpg

A 1992 Swiss Army Victorinox Officer's Model my wife got me when we first started dating (graduation present). My daily wear for over 15 years and still keeps perfect time though I've beaten on it mercilessly.

JohnBHolbrookII_OmegaSeamasterAT.jpg

My wife softened the blow when I turned 40 by throwing me a surprise dinner with good friends and this watch, which I was lusting after ever since it became avaliable. I always wanted a Rolex Explorer but at 36mm it was too small on my rather oversized wrists. This watch in the 41mm size is a perfect sporty dress watch for me. Did I mention I have an amazing wife?

2503-52_1.JPG

I loved my new AT so much that when the Railmaster version was released I kept my eyes open for a good deal and snagged one (grey market) a few years ago. Same case and bracelet, different dial and no date. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it!

unbranded-hr-10-heart-rate-monitor.jpg

A Cateye Heart Rate Monitor I got in 2006. I only wear this watch when we are doing a long ride or run - helps with training in the proper zone.

2512-50_1.jpg

I don't own this AT chrono - yet. I love IWCs but they don't quite sit right on my arm (or sit well with my bank balance, truth be told!). I've coveted a Speedmaster Pro my whole life, but this model has better water resistance and a date, not to mention automatic winding and chronometer certification, so it's a winner for me. Now, If I can just lay off the hats long enough to save up for it.....

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Orgetorix said:
What makes a non-jewel-encrusted watch worth a million dollars?

IMHO, people with too much money and too few brain cells that think popping a million dollars for a watch is a wise purchase. The old "A fool and his money..." saw

JEEP

Practically Family
Bolthead; you're welcome. I have, unfortunally, seen more than one beautiful vintage watch ruined by greedy watch repairmen reccomending re-dials in order to make some extra bucks. Though, off course, most watch repairmen are honest people driven by their love for watches :)

Decodence; what a beatiful collection! Is that a mid 50's pie-pan constallation I see? That early 40's 30'mm on the far right, with the small seconds, would fit nicely into my collection lol

Regards.

Jakob

pgoat

One Too Many
everyone has something they'll part with money for. If it's not a watch it's something else .... to each his own

Aside from Ghandi, I can't think of too many people who walk around owning/having/using only things they 'need'

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Here's two or three from my collection:
Left: 1967 Omega Connie Pie Pan. 18k rose gold case. Original dial, crystal and crown.
Right: 1946 Omega Bumper Automatic. 18k yellow gold case. Original dial, original crystal and replaced Omega NOS crown.
WatchesFeb2007002.jpg

1923 Waltham open face dress pocket watch. AWWCO 17 jewel adjusted movement. 14k white gold case.
Waltham.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24