Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Talbot

One Too Many
I have friends that sell at Camberwell sometimes. They reckon the deal is to get there early and circulate.

Hard to do when you're selling, but some of the scores I have heard about are amazing.

Talbot

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I get to the market VERY early. 5:30am most Sundays.

And yes. If you know your product, you can get some incredible deals. To me, my best one was the railroad watch for $160. The Elgin for $140. An antique silverware box for $15, and several excellent fountain pens for varying (and amazingly cheap) prices.

iancandler

New in Town
I have a few to share as well.

My main interest is all periods of waltham pocket watches and wristwatches from the period 1900 - the late 1950's, but especially those from the 1930's-40's.

None of mine have cost a lot, I don't have much money sadly.

watchface2.jpg

Waltham 1899 model, gold plated hunter configuration, size 16

silver018.jpg

Waltham 1883 model, solid silver size 18

watches018.jpg

Romeo art deco period swiss made.

watches008copy.jpg

Kienzle circa 1952

watches007.jpg

Rone circa 1950's (not researched yet)

watches012.jpg

Rone seven (not researched yet)

I also have a Waltham Gold plated traveller 1908 model and a new unknown 1930's cushion watch that have just arrived and have yet to be photographed and researched

iancandler

New in Town
My main interest is all periods of waltham pocket watches and wristwatches from the period 1900 - the late 1950's, but especially those from the 1930's-40's.

None of mine have cost a lot, I don't have much money sadly.

watchface2.jpg

Waltham 1899 model, gold plated hunter configuration, size 16

silver018.jpg

Waltham 1883 model, solid silver size 18

watches018.jpg

Romeo art deco period swiss made.

watches008copy.jpg

Kienzle circa 1952

watches007.jpg

Rone circa 1950's (not researched yet)

watches012.jpg

Rone seven (not researched yet)

I also have a Waltham Gold plated traveller 1908 model and a new unknown 1930's cushion watch that have just arrived and have yet to be photographed and researched

iancandler

New in Town
Scion - ebay for most of them though the Kienzle was a present from my brother, he bought it with a smashed crystal and filthy dirty. He replaced the crystal and cleaned the watch completely inside and out as a project for his watch repair course then gave it to me last week.
The two Rone's where picked up really cheaply, the gold plated is working fine, the seven either has been over-wound or has a set main spring so has gone to my brother for checking.

Shangas -

The 1883 model Waltham movement was made during April 1890 and is "home/NL" grade. 199 where made in this run.
It was mated with a pre made Birmingham hallmarked case made in 1889 and sold in the UK. (A lot of Waltham movements where imported to the UK)
It has 7 jewels, a full gilt backplate with exposed balance.
The case is slightly unusual in that it retains its original hinged crystal and bezel so was obviously made to accommodate key wind and set models as well as the newer
Stem wind and set models like this one.
Although the mainspring is a little set on this one it still keeps excellent time.

The 1899 model was made in 1899 and is one of a run of 999 made.

Its a size 16 which makes it slightly smaller than the 1883 model.
Its a 610 grade movement with lovely engraving to the movement itself, and one of the ones featuring small hearts.
Its 7 jewels again and has a 3/4 plate
Though to us a $10 or $20 dollar movement sounds cheap, we have to remember that wages where such that even these watches where an expensive item to the average man on the street.
This movement is in hunter configuration so has the stem set at the 3 O'clock position.
They where mated with star company cases, in this case a gold plated open face case.
Stem set and wind, this one again runs like a dream and keeps good time.
Sadly there is one chip and some hair line cracks to the dial but this doesn't bother me, its just ageing as far as I am concerned.

The Romeo I can find nothing on.
The case and movement style indicate somewhere around the 1930's.
Working fairly well but position dependent, ie if you lay it face down it will stop.
similar size to the size 16 Waltham's

The last Waltham I have (no pic yet) is a 1908 model traveller made in 1918
Again size 16, 7 jewels, 3/4 plate.
Open face, stem set and wind, gold plated star company case.
One of 4,999 made and the grade is traveller
Again still working well and keeping good time.

I intend to get all the Waltham's serviced and a new old stock main spring fitted to the 1883 model.
I just need a gold and silver half and full hunter to complete things though knowing me I doubt I will stop there, I just love these watches.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
skyvue said:
I have two wonderful vintage watches that aren't running (and two different repairmen in NYC have revived them only briefly).

Are there old watches that simply aren't repairable, or did I find two dud service people?

Anyone have a repairman to recommend to me? (How about your father, Baron -- would he help out a fellow Lounger? I'd happily pay him if I got these watches working.)

Here is my man in Phoenix. Watches come from around the world for repair and restoration by Bruno at Vintage Watch Restoration:

http://vintagewatchrestoration.com/index.html

-dixon 'Waltham' cannon

iancandler

New in Town
Here's some images of the movements etc.

silver019.jpg

Rear of 1883 showing guilloche.

silver028.jpg

Its thick and chunky as can be seen here.

silver027.jpg

The movement.

movementcu.jpg

1899 movement.

Romeo007.jpg

Romeo rear cover plate.

Romeo004.jpg

Romeo movement

Waltham1908travellerf.jpg

Waltham 1908 model

waltham1908traveller.jpg

Waltham 1908 movement

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
wahlswatch.jpg

This is my favourite watch. Ca. 1957-1960 Swiss-made Ball-Record railroad pocket-watch. It's my favourite for several reasons:

1. It's nice and big and easy to read (for me, this is very important).
2. It keeps cracking, wonderful time (again, very important).
3. It's an attention-grabber and it looks great.
4. I got it for a bargin price (as watches go, anyway).
5. It's very good quality.
6. I have a railroad watch and I NEVER thought I'd ever own one of these (because they usually cost small fortunes!)

If I could have any watch, it would only be another railroad-standard pocket watch. Probably a Hamilton or a Waltham or an Elgin from the early 1900s.

davestlouis

Practically Family
My newest, and current favorite, is a late 50s Gruen Precision, 17 jewel automatic movement, gold filled 35mm round case, simple cream-colored dial with a linen texture, art-deco style numerals at 12,3,6,and 9, and simple hands with lume in them that sorta works. All on a cheap pseudo-alligator black leather strap. I paid $20 at a local antique mall, and it's keeping time so far.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I just got a late 50s era Gruen, gold filled case, 35mm round shape, linen look dial, art deco numbers at 12,3,6 and 9, 17 jewel automatic movement,water proof(per the case back), I opened the case and can't read what caliber the movement is, I thought it was cal. 520, but my eyesight is such that I can't be sure. Best $20 I've spent lately.

The same place had several cool Bulova items of 40s and 50s vintage, but I'm on a budget and could only get one.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
@rlk A nice Elgin, but are you sure that the band is correct that way? I ma just curious since some similiar Hamiltons like the Wilshire or the Essex would have it attached over the lugs.

For example one of my Wilshires:
wilr1.jpg

Here is one of my newest pieces, the wgf Ross from 1940. :
rossw.jpg

I am also sure that most here will know the man in the background and appreciate his works too ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Unlucky Berman said:
are you sure that the band is correct that way? I' m just curious since some similar Hamiltons like the Wilshire or the Essex would have it attached over the lugs.
Yep, the strap should go over the lug.

rlk

I'll Lock Up

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
rlk said:
The leather is free to go either way, but putting it on top would both press the metal cross-rod into your wrist(instead of conforming leather) and conceal its visual interest.

Actually, only if you are using modern watch bands which in most cases are more or less padded. The old vintage pig and calfskin bands of that time (and also the remakes of vintage bands) doesn't. I have two Wilshires and one of them has still a vintage band on it (the one shown there). With that one I never had the problem you described but I have it with the second one (somewhere deeper in this thread is a pic of it) which still has a modern band on it. ;)

About the visual interst, that's a matter of taste. I for instance am more the purist and would like to use the watch like it was made or left the factory back then. That means using it like on the second ad you have shown where exactly your model is pictured with the watch band above the lugs. That was what the designer of that case and style had intended to be the "visual interest"(-ing feature) about this particular watc. There is also another thing about those swinging lugs or what they were thought to be used for. It's not so much a visual effect rather than some more practical thing. Those flexibel lugs should tightly wrap around the wrist and some wearers used them to be on the side of the wrist (so that you could still read the time while holding the steering-whele or something like that -> that's why they were called "driver's watch").

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou