Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about wool coats, jackets, and vests

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Fabric are measured by weight per meter / yard. But not sure how one could measure a garment.
I honestly can’t feel any big difference between my different weight Filsons. It’s always better to have two medium thick wool layers than one super thick one, for water repellent, warm retention…etc.

Peacoat

Bartender
Fabric are measured by weight per meter / yard. But not sure how one could measure a garment.
I honestly can’t feel any big difference between my different weight Filsons. It’s always better to have two medium thick wool layers than one super thick one, for water repellent, warm retention…etc.
There isn't much difference between the 24 oz and the 26 oz, but when comparing the 24 oz to a 28 or 30 oz jacket, the difference is noticeable.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
When Pendleton Mills sent me the swatches for their heaviest weight fabric, I was surprised how thin it was. It wasn't THIN, but it was thinner than I expected. I remember thinking, "This is the thickest blanket you still make?" As I said, I don't mind the nylon in the blend so much, but I will say that it is nowhere near as dense of a fabric as the heavier, older wools. The wind couldn't blow through those old garments. I guess this is why you need a liner now.

TLW '90

Practically Family
What do you guys do when your wool meets a bit of rain ?

I just try to avoid rain as much as possible and hang it up in a warm room to dry as soon asap, but I don't know if there are any more ideal ways or whether wool can handle rain better than I give it credit for.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just ordered my JWM cruiser, it will be interesting to see how it compares to my mother wool pieces when it arrives.

I do wish the pictures on their sight were better and there are also no reviews online, so I guess I'll be the Guinea pig.

Not that I'm too concerned considering how long they've been around.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
It was warmer when I got home from work today so I just wore the CCS vest when I took the pup for a walk, but later this evening it cooled off on me when I was doing a little plinking in the backyard so I swapped the vest out for the Woolrich barn jacket.

I don't know what it is about that jacket but every time I put it on I just get a warm fuzzy feeling inside, and it's not just because the jacket is warm and at this point pretty fuzzy.
The jacket just makes me happy to wear.

I love the 2 leather jackets I have, but theres just something about the wool.
This one just felt right the first time I put it on, and I hope to experience that with others in the future.

If the JWM is at least as thick as this 60's woolrich then it just may become my new absolute favorite jacket.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Sportclad Half-belt late 40s

upload_2021-10-25_22-23-26.jpeg

upload_2021-10-25_22-24-14.jpeg

TLW '90

Practically Family
I decided to browse through the list of fabric samples on the JWM website, and this is what I found as the only option for the " green and black small stag "

This tells me that while they only like listing the weight for anything made of their 100% wool, that this cruiser I ordered is going to be a 24oz.
They listed samples of the other color options I looked into for the cruiser too, and they were also coming in at 24oz.

I knew it was going to be sn 85/15 blend which I'm okay with, but for the money I didn't really expect to be getting a 24oz wool and I'm glad to know I am.
I also see that the options I liked at for the double Cape Jack shirt which I was originally thinking about are coming in at 18oz.

They also list 15oz ( shirts I'm sure ), 20oz, 22oz, 25oz, and 26oz I believe.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Just a heads up for anyone possibly thinking of ordering from JWM.
My jacket has shipped, and they do not provide a tracking number in the confirmation/ receipt email.
It's not the end of the world, just something to note.

I am so used to receiving a tracking number these days, but their website really is like a digital version of an old mail order catalog.

Just 1 picture you can't zoom in on, and a description, you order based on that and it arrives when it arrives.
It reminds me of when I used to get things from catalogs as a kid before we had a computer.

Luckily it's shipping USPS to the po box so I don't have to go look outside every time I think I hear a delivery truck :D

Buffalo plaid has become the "it" thing. I don't know about this season, but the past couple of seasons, it's been huge in fashion and home decor. It's weird. Urban Farmgirl country motif.

Ralph has included it in the USA uniforms for the upcoming Winter Olympics.

upload_2021-10-28_8-56-24.png

I've been wearing it consistently since about 1970 so I'm not too concerned about the fashion trends (although I might consider selling some of it that no longer fits).

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
What do you guys do when your wool meets a bit of rain ?

I just try to avoid rain as much as possible and hang it up in a warm room to dry as soon asap, but I don't know if there are any more ideal ways or whether wool can handle rain better than I give it credit for.
Wool was meant to get wet. It can absorb 60% of its own weight and still feel dry to the touch. It's one reason why it remains popular in wet and cold climates, like in Scotland and the upper ranges of New Zealand. Heck, Mongolian Nomads and the more primitive cultures in Russia still live in wool all year. I don't worry about my wools getting wet. It's actually why I prefer them to more modern tech like fleece. My thrifted cashmere sweaters remain some of my favorite camping gear, and they get wet on the regular.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Wool was meant to get wet. It can absorb 60% of its own weight and still feel dry to the touch. It's one reason why it remains popular in wet and cold climates, like in Scotland and the upper ranges of New Zealand. Heck, Mongolian Nomads and the more primitive cultures in Russia still live in wool all year. I don't worry about my wools getting wet. It's actually why I prefer them to more modern tech like fleece. My thrifted cashmere sweaters remain some of my favorite camping gear, and they get wet on the regular.
That's good to know.

My real concern here is drying,I don't want it to smell like an old dish sponge.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
My real concern here is drying,I don't want it to smell like an old dish sponge.
Depending on where you live with smells, pollution stink etc, outside line drying is the way to go. I don't know what happens to wool in the winter when you hang it out, but it takes on a whole other smell property. I even think something happens to the fibers, like it tightens them up or fluffs them...something microscopic happening. Everything takes on a "crisp" smell when winter hung, but wool opens up and sings a unique, newish smell. It's such a powerful smell that I can see it bothering people too.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Depending on where you live with smells, pollution stink etc, outside line drying is the way to go. I don't know what happens to wool in the winter when you hang it out, but it takes on a whole other smell property. I even think something happens to the fibers, like it tightens them up or fluffs them...something microscopic happening. Everything takes on a "crisp" smell when winter hung, but wool opens up and sings a unique, newish smell. It's such a powerful smell that I can see it bothering people too.
Interesting, thanks for the info.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just received my HWM cruiser and so far I really like it.

My only complaint is the cuffs not cinching up tightly .

I just can't life with it like this, so I'm going to move the buttons over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ