Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about wool coats, jackets, and vests

TLW '90

Practically Family
I wasn't sure how I felt about the tall collar, but I walked to into town to our annual October car show / fundraiser and it was pretty cold.
The tall collar really came in handy to keep my ears warm.

I forgot my phone at home so I couldn't get any pictures, but there were some familiar cars from the area and some new ones I hadn't seen before.
The usual from around town, and others from the county that I recognize.
Surprisingly few plymouths and Pontiacs this year, no Lemans but a couple nice 2nd generation goats at least. ( I don't particularly care for the '69+ 3rd gen , " Judge " )
Usually theres at least one belvedere and a roadrunner or two, not this year and sadly the 2 super bees didn't show up either.

So33

One of the Regulars
DC9154F1-5F54-4804-83E5-C663DD6F2873.jpeg
61A4BAEB-7743-4BA0-A702-912D21746114.jpeg
View attachment 375011 View attachment 375012 Here’s a rare one in my collection of Filson. I fit tried it on at The Filson outlet and have never taken out of box since. Too nice to wear?
24 oz, so it’s double that, 48 oz on backside because of back pocket.

Last edited:

Cornelius

Practically Family
View attachment 375017 Here’s some of my Filson wool outerwear. From left to right, grey work/chore coat? Limited blue double Mac, limited green single Mac collaboration, limited grey single Mac, limited black/grey cape, vintage garage sale red, double Mac in green.

Love the older Filson mackinaws, when they made true suitcoat sizes. Would've stocked up on a few charcoal 38-Talls, maybe a 40-Tall too, if I had known they would so soon be relegated to S/M/L sizing... with a price increase.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just ordered another " modern challis vest " from C&C Sutlery out of Idaho.

The first is a bit too snug and it's tad long too so it doesn't fit over my favorite belt buckle very well, this time I went 1 size up and made sure to spend the extra $10 for the shorter option.
The first was in their khaki " camel " color wool, this time I went with medium grey.

It's supposed to take 8-12 weeks, it took a lot longer last time due to the mass shutdowns but hopefully it doesn't take so long this time around.

Last edited:

Mrfrown

One Too Many
I’ve posted these elsewhere but figure this is a good place to compile them

Pendleton Western Coat. It’s pretty heavy wool, feels about as thick as my Filson vests. Has a quilted lining. Haven’t worn it out and about yet as it was a recent acquisition.

upload_2021-11-4_13-17-11.jpeg
upload_2021-11-4_13-19-10.jpeg
upload_2021-11-4_13-19-10.jpeg

Then I have a brown Filson vest and a charcoal / black check one.

These have become some of my favorite layering items for chilly weather. Easy to wear, fit well under a jacket, pockets are useful, throw it in backpack or back of car or whatever if I’m not using and it’s fine. I did size down on these, they’re both the old style 38

upload_2021-11-4_13-24-21.jpeg
upload_2021-11-4_13-28-41.jpeg

Mrfrown

One Too Many
@tmitchell59 love the vintage ones and that wigwam...I suppose if I got another quality wool coat one that ends at the waist would be nice since the Pendleton coat is so long.

@TLW '90 the JHM cruiser seems to be working out well for you, how cold does it get where you live?

@So33 its robust outerwear! its made to be worn! Use and abuse it man, it can take it and be better for it

Mrfrown

One Too Many
I do have several longer Wools, but really chase the shorter jackets in wool. Sometimes there are too many cool ones to choose from.

This is nice! Maker?

upload_2021-11-4_13-28-41-jpeg.375722

The wool vest here is Filson, the jacket is a Schott 370 "Duke" pretty robust rough out jacket. Guess I haven't worn it as much recently.

I like the Duke a lot. Its unlined so basically a nice wind breaker...whatever you wear underneath is what matters for temp regulation, and the sleeves always feel clammy to me unless I wear a long sleeve shirt.

TLW '90

Practically Family
@TLW '90 the JHM cruiser seems to be working out well for you, how cold does it get where you live?
Once in awhile it'll get down Into 30's and even rarer it'll snow once a decade, but it tends to stay in the 40's50's most of the winter.
Mid 60's most of the fall.

Usually a henley a flannel and my jacket is all I need sometimes a wool vest under the jacket if it's a lighter one, and I always wear long johns under my pants in the winter and definitely appreciate some nice wool socks.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I actually forgot about the vest I have on order from C&C Sutlery.
Of course I will not have it to wear on Christmas, and I probably won't have it to wear by my birthday either unless I get really lucky but that never happens.

I'm really wishing I had ordered it sooner for sure, but I suppose it'll be worth waiting for.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I really haven't been thinking much at all about jackets of any kind lately, I've just been loving my JWM cruiser so dang much

I've been using that Woolrich " cruiser " ( it's the same exact style as the JWM cruiser ) when I'm working in the yard or just doing anything where I don't want to mess up the JWM.
I haven't worn the old Woolrich barn jacket much lately, but it was my first love when it comes to wool so I'll always have a place for it.
I am going to start looking for another piece here soon.
I have almost all my Christmas shopping done, and the PayPal issue I'm dealing with with is no longer a hindrance with regards to Ebay since they take payment directly now.

BlueAltitudes

Familiar Face
Been on a wool bender. I love Halfbelt style wool jackets. I have three, a vintage piece due Friday and my SJC set to ship next week. The red and black polo has become a favorite.
View attachment 383853 View attachment 383854 View attachment 383855

I must have missed the name of these jackets but which ones are these? Particularly the third jacket in the last attachment. I really like that one!

View attachment 375018 View attachment 375019 View attachment 375011 View attachment 375012 Here’s a rare one in my collection of Filson. I fit tried it on at The Filson outlet and have never taken out of box since. Too nice to wear?
24 oz, so it’s double that, 48 oz on backside because of back pocket.

Wait, you've never worn that!? I'm skeptical because that is a VERY nice one haha. Also, if you've never worn it then are you collecting it? Mostly just curious is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ