Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis leather site updated!

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Got a nice friendly informative response

I Got a nice friendly informative response this morning. I am excited to consider the Super Monza. Now I am working out the fit compared with my size 38 Sportsman

STW

Familiar Face
sammy said:
...I'm debating between the Monza and the Super Phantom. Anyone own either of these models? Im leaning towards the Super Phantom b/c it would be easier to wear as a casual jacket when not riding compared to the Monza's lancer zip front.
You mean because the double breasted effect of the Monza zip front would get in the way of casual wear when left open and unzipped? I've wondered about this too, since I haven't owned one of these traditional moto jackets (can't quite carry off the bad guy/rock star look it implies in the US--my choice would be the LL Dominator).

But I can say that some jackets with the cafe racer cut like the Phantom can also be difficult to wear as casual jackets. Depends on the cut (and I doubt that the Phantom is cut this way) but some cafe style moto jackets that are cut specifically for on-bike performance, when unzipped hang way back from the middle of the body like a frock coat. I prefer a jacket that, when unzipped, hangs straight down in front rather than pulling back to the sides.

But I've also noticed that cafe jackets cut this way are easier to wear on certain bikes. On a typical sport bike where you reach forward and down, a straight hanging jacket may bunch up at the belly and chest, bunched on the tank of the bike. I guess this is why ride-specific cafe jackets are cut to stay out of the way on the bike, even though it makes them less effective off the bike for casual wear. (This is not really an issue for me since my only bike right now is a Royal Enfield Bullet classic where you sit up fairly straight.)

Another feature of current ride-specific cafe jackets is minimal collars. The Phantom and Sportsman collars here look like great stand up cafe style collars that don't follow this trend, thankfully. But mainstream cafe jackets have minimal tab collars that don't stand up but are meant to be sort of like a gasket below a full face helmet. They float above the shoulders, too, held up by the CE armour pads in the shoulders. Mainstream riders probably prefer a minimal collar that doesn't have to move with the neck, nor interfere with head turning and helmet fit. Oh well. It makes sense for riding, although a good fit and some breaking of the leather should allow both a proper stand up tab collar and comfortable riding.

Contrast to this cafe jacket, informed by vintage designs and intended, probably, to suggest LL traditional jackets:

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/montana-jacket.asp

I had this jacket for a while and liked it for riding, but found it pretty useless for off the bike wear for both reasons mentioned above, frock coat effect and gasket floppy tab collar.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Pulled trigger on Super Monza

I pulled the trigger on the Super Monza last night. Getting in standard size 38 in white. I asked for no adjustments to their original sized cut as my Sportsman size 38 works perfect the way it came, standard. As a worry wart, I am afraid now if there are any issues with fit length-I am 5'5"-slightly shorter than the average male. But Lewis leathers have a big Japanese market and their cuts appear trim the way I like it.
I hope it gets here closer to my B-day, but was quoted within 3 weeks for completion so another week to two to get here barring customs in shipping. I am excited nevertheless. :) :)

By the way, the lancer front is double breasted but was told that it is not excessive so casual wearing unzipped should be no problem at all.

piranha

New in Town
P5640blouson said:
I pulled the trigger on the Super Monza last night. Getting in standard size 38 in white. I asked for no adjustments to their original sized cut as my Sportsman size 38 works perfect the way it came, standard. As a worry wart, I am afraid now if there are any issues with fit length-I am 5'5"-slightly shorter than the average male. But Lewis leathers have a big Japanese market and their cuts appear trim the way I like it.
I hope it gets here closer to my B-day, but was quoted within 3 weeks for completion so another week to two to get here barring customs in shipping. I am excited nevertheless. :) :)

By the way, the lancer front is double breasted but was told that it is not excessive so casual wearing unzipped should be no problem at all.

Good luck on that and Derek is waiting on swatches for some color comparisons for the Sportsman orange striped version for me.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Allay my fears on LL order

We'll I wrote a followup letter requesting confirmation for the production order of my Super Monza in white leather standard size 38. I am a little finicky about details and doing it right the first time. This is also the first time that I am ordering a jacket sight unseen and made to order.
I was originally considering the Buco Rider from Lost Worlds in white HH and custom zippers. The ordering process deterred me from doing that and as a result I discovered Lewis Leathers purchased two LL jackets instead after seeing the Sportsman at Glory in L.A and comparing it with Schott, Belstaff, and several other makes. The quality, design and history alone sets Lewis Leathers apart from the rest. Funny how things work out.
For now I am really enjoying my Sportsman, its still got a bit of wearing in to achieve. I got a nice wide wooden hanger on it with Aviakit decal on it for my Sportsman. I have to get another wooden hanger for the Super Monza now in production. :)

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Super Monza

My mind is at ease. Derek just replied. Everything is in order, the Super Monza being made will have a standard 38 size. NO changes will be made to alter its length or other dimensions from Lewis Leathers original design dimensions and form. It will look like a Super Monza should look, in a less than common color, at least here in U.S., white.
:) :)

STW

Familiar Face
P5640blouson said:
For now I am really enjoying my Sportsman, its still got a bit of wearing in to achieve. I got a nice wide wooden hanger on it with Aviakit decal on it for my Sportsman. I have to get another wooden hanger for the Super Monza now in production. :)
What is the weight of the Sportsman leather like? Sorry if I missed this detail but is it horsehide?

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Sportsman #69

The Sportsman is 1.3mm cow leather, chrome tanned, nice and supple and thick. LL jackets are motorcycle grade jackets of a vintage type and is protective from abrasion...no fashion leather or driving leather as driving jackets have. I have lamb driving jackets from Porsche Design, italian made. The PD jackets are wonderful for 4 wheel motorsports and office wear, but won't compete with moto grade leather when it comes to all around multiple use protection as the LL jackets are. The lining is red sailcloth, fadeproof cotton. the hardware is heavy duty first rate and the tailoring is custom suit grade. You won't be dissapointed with the quality and robustness of an LL jacket. I put them next to a Schott (which are very nice jackets) and the tailoring of LL is simply high end custom when comparing. I would put my Sportsman up any day to tailored makes such as Lost Worlds and Aero. I haven't seen Magnoli in person, but I do know that Lewis Leathers has a long history of holding the top spot for high end moto jackets in the UK. Many a famous have chosen LL. I never knew that a heavy duty jacket can be styled and made so fine!

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
White Super Monza finished and shipped the other day

Got message ahead of the 3 week production schedule (by 3 days) that my Super Monza is awaiting collection (Post) and will be with me soon. I am very excited. The communication with LL has been great. Hope to post some pics soon, knock on wood.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Received! Super Monza in White

I just received my new White Super Monza in 3 days flat, from England to Southern California, U.S.A. Wow!
Even more WOW is the perfectly executed White Super Monza. The fit, perfect, the material, best leather I've had yet-more supple than my Sportsman, two times over. I am guessing that white leather is harder to match and the white leather used in my new jacket is the best I have experienced yet. Lewis Leathers, there's nothing like it! Full review soon and hope to post my pics.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Did the Super Monza pictures ever materialize? Or perhaps they're posted in another thread?

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Yes, it not another thread, "...custom super monza.."

I've only worn it to take pics so far. I have too many other jackets and am on an M-65 field jacket binge right now. This addiction is getting out of hand :eek:

Lewis Leathers Super Monza Custom thread on page 2

Its the crowning jewel in my collection right now, even though I have pieces more expensive. Lots to be thankful for, no doubt! I was looking for the perfect all-rounder but realize now that it is not possible. Now I am looking at what I can do without. I will be selling off some of my collection to fund arising neccessities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24