Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life in a Box

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Well, at least a man's WWII life. I've got a cigar box nestled in a shoe box, bought for a couple of dollars at a flea market. Inside are letters, birthday cards and Christmas cards, patches, pins, licenses, leave passes, service lighters, pens, pencils, photos, dog tags, an id bracelet, all for one Harry L. Mallory, a corporal then a staff sergeant (I think). There are letters from superiors commending Harry for his fine work at Pearl Harbor during the enemy attack, which seem to lead to his promotion. While this fascinates and intrigues me (along with letters from his brothers, and Betty, who I believe is a sister, though at first I thought maybe she was his sweetheart), it also makes me sad that all these years later there were no family or friends to cherish these items, and they ended up being sold to a random stranger. Makes me think of Tom Waits' song "Soldier's Things" (though Harry was a Marine).
Here's a small sample of his life:
4010265856_a5fe41a27f_b.jpg

4010284648_743a3d6876_b.jpg

4010531016_11a9ef5766_b.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ThesFlishThngs said:
...it also makes me sad that all these years later there were no family or friends to cherish these items, and they ended up being sold to a random stranger.

The sadder thing would be that no one bought them, appreciated them and shared them with others as you have done.

Here's to you Harry - and to you TFT. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I love being able to go through collections like that. They're unique gateways to another time, and the life of another person. Reminds me of when I used to go through my mom's dad's footlocker with her years ago. He had all kinds of WWII memorabilia in it, including some things not directly from the war. To this day, I still hold onto a few old Omega lighters, as well as a few security and patrol badges he had in it from other jobs after the war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo