Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life with ONE great Leather Jacket vs. Life with MANY Leather Jackets

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Superfluous, it is interesting swaying back and forth between leather jackets and watches, isn't it? ;) I never had much interest in Panerai watches until the Radiomir 1940 series but have yet to make the plunge. Like Thor I am mostly a Rolex guy but recently traded out of a K series Sea Dweller that, I think, was the last year for lug holes all the way through and SEL bracelet. :(

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
HD, most of us are obsessed/passionate about something, and occasionally that passion bleeds through from one forum to another. :D

plainsman

Familiar Face
As I got older, I became increasingly more casual. I ended up selling most of my more formal watches, and I down scaled the number of watches I own. Today, I only own about 6 watches, including:

Audemars Piguet ROO Jarno Trulli

AudemarsPiguetROOJarnoTrulliTJA.jpg

Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris Tribute 68

431c9711-874a-419c-b2e6-c05885602fe6_zps13b68ff0.jpg

Jaeger LeCoultre Navy Seals Incursion

JaegerLeCoultreNavySealsIncursionMBA.jpg

PAM 317

Panerai317MAA.jpg

PAM 390

Panerai390MBA.jpg

Glausuttte Original Senator Rattrapante

GOSenatorRattrapanteMMC.jpg

That is a nice collection! Quite diverse.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow you guys have taken this obsession to a whole other level with those watches!
They are amazing but somehow I've been happy with my omega sea master chrono for about 8 years. Only 1 other watch has tempted me (but that was about $10k so that went away pretty quickly lol)
Not sure if I should be envious or feel sorry for you guys with 2 collection obsessions lol

Drax

New in Town
Well, I was going to comment about living with just one leather jacket, but the million dollar watch collection sort of took the wind out of my sails. I am not worthy to be on this forum. :-(

IXL

One Too Many
I purchased a Rolex when I was 18 years old, and still wear it. I've had that watch so long I'd be unbalanced without it on my wrist.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
God, watches. I definitely won't be purchasing one anytime soon, but if I had to have one, a Hamilton Ventura. Just like Elvis!

Yeah, same as how most people don't see the difference between a brown cafe racer and a black D-pocket, I don't think I'll ever get watches. I use cell phone to tell time nowadays and can't really stand having anything wrapped around my wrist. But I understand that there's something to be understood about it, so... :)

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, Superfluous, that's at least a million bucks you had in the first collection, most likely more. I do like the Greubel-Forsey, a bit "in the face", but seriously nice. Funny is, I'm "down" to 6 pieces myself. Different region, of course, price-wise, but settled somehow.
One perfect leather-jacket, a couple of nice shoes, jeans and shirts, and a Rolex No-Date, 5-digit reference - and be a happy man, not browsing the fora. Sounds tempting. ;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That collection of Superfluous is unbelievable. Now that Jaeger LeCoultre Master Minute Repeater ... wow!

technovox

One Too Many
It’s not so odd to see a watch collection and a jacket collection together- there are many similarities between the two. They both involve attention to endless details, a link to tradition and history, style, fashion, a utilitarian purpose (at least with the tool watches), a way to express one’s tastes and an appreciation for a certain level of craftsmanship, and finer quality. But personally, I decided to stop the watch collecting once I found my grail- a vintage unpolished Rolex submariner. I found jackets to be much more fun and affordable.

Whenever my wife complains about another addition to my burgeoning jacket collection, I simply point out that once I stop with leather motorcycle jackets, I’m moving onto collecting motorcycles. She’s suddenly been very supportive of leather jackets.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
It’s not so odd to see a watch collection and a jacket collection together- there are many similarities between the two. They both involve attention to endless details, a link to tradition and history, style, fashion, a utilitarian purpose (at least with the tool watches), a way to express one’s tastes and an appreciation for a certain level of craftsmanship, and finer quality. But personally, I decided to stop the watch collecting once I found my grail- a vintage unpolished Rolex submariner. I found jackets to be much more fun and affordable.

Whenever my wife complains about another addition to my burgeoning jacket collection, I simply point out that once I stop with leather motorcycle jackets, I’m moving onto collecting motorcycles. She’s suddenly been very supportive of leather jackets.

A friend of mine (single) stated he owned 17 motorcycles. When I asked him why he said..."Because I can."

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
A friend of mine (single) stated he owned 17 motorcycles. When I asked him why he said..."Because I can."

My favorite quote is from Haraki of Iron Heart. When asked how he gets away with owning so many motorcycles he answered "I paint them all the same color."

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Very nicely stated.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, same as how most people don't see the difference between a brown cafe racer and a black D-pocket, I don't think I'll ever get watches. I use cell phone to tell time nowadays and can't really stand having anything wrapped around my wrist. But I understand that there's something to be understood about it, so... :)

I hear you. I own some watches but I don't wear them. Much as I enjoy them I don't like being a slave to time keeping any more than I have to be. I do like the look of earlier (pre-60's) watches - simple round or square shapes. I don't like the vulgar sports watch things that are the size of a small Japanese car.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
My most recent acquisition, a limited edition reissue of the 1974 original Heuer Silverstone. I would have liked to add a photo of my Eastman A2 but I don't have any other than the ones showing the poor state of repair it came in but that is another story.

Edward

Bartender
God, watches. I definitely won't be purchasing one anytime soon, but if I had to have one, a Hamilton Ventura. Just like Elvis!

Lovely design. I want one of the more recent models, with the mechanical movement. I don't like quartz, and the anachronism of the mechanical movement appeals. If I do buy it, it'll be the most expensive watch I ever will buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy