Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Grey Flannel Trousers -- DEAD?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
They'll be back... Brooks Brothers always carries modern versions though I can't take the low waist. I have a fe pair of vintage ones and some from Ralph, though they are not that easy to find nowadays. I suppose its because flannels are heavy and we are in a society that likes lightweight dress clothes.

l_1091927720011e72af9ee94dbeabbf3c.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
scotrace said:
I'm still not seeing these in stores.

Back in October or so, Ermenegildo Zegna (among several other makers) tried to bring back light grey flannel suits --both single and double-breasted-- for Spring '09. He plastered the inside front covers of Esquire and GQ with ads showing the suits. Don't know how successful they were.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
This is not good news. I recently got a free sport coat that is an odd greenish-blue color, and I had planned to get some light grey flannel trousers to go with it. In fact, I'm not sure any other color will do with this particular coat.

ddcronk

New in Town
I just ordered a pair of light gray flannels on clearance from Brooks Brothers. After my discount, tax, shipping and handling, it came out to $106.00. Not bad at all for that kind of thing, if you can stand slightly more modern styling.

Dan

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Somewhat off topic but, pertinent I think to the issue over all

Feraud said:
Ugh. That is why I hate fashion. There is no choice but what is "now and popular". :mad:

Fashion is Not what one must follow, but, one's own Personal Style - which, is developed over the years regardless of passing fads and trends and Horrid Horrid So-Called Fashions and Always looks good on YOU. If you have your own personal style which you've developed to look good on you and fit your lifestyle and likes and dislikes and body type, you will never feel let down by your clothing or look out of place because everyone else is wearing something different. Rather, you will look exactly like what you will be then, an individual, a maven even, perhaps! Someone who stands out of the crowd with panache and style. Men's clothing is about tradition and classical elegance and Male Presence. It is only a modern bastardization of Men's wear perpetrated by those who want to make a cheap product which wears out in a few years (and even if it doesn't, it will still look ugly outside of the ridiculous little vacuole of finite space and time in which it existed, that flash of a moment in which whatever monstrosity they foisted upon you was supposedly considered "Fashionable" even if not tasteful or elegant or anything else laudable.) The first step towards a personal style is to stop buying massed produced garments for the most part and instead, turn towards tailor crafted garments with the exception of quality mass produced garments which actually do suit your personal taste. Find a good tailor, see what you can see and do what you need to, to exercise your self expression! I was never happy with my clothing for the most part till I began to have it made for me. Its often reasonable enough if you look in the right places! By the by, you can blame Pierre Cardin etc., et all for modern men's wear being such mass produces low quality drivel. Even expensive suits today are made cheaply and out of cheap tissue fabrics which are marketed as if their flimsiness were a good selling point! Good gray flannels are impossible to find whether its at Brooks Brothers or Thom Browne or whatever other farcical mass producer of crackerjack menswear du jour is out there. Have it made by a good tailor and you will never be dissatisfied.

vonwotan

Practically Family
The certainly are more difficult to find! Ben Silver has light grey flannel trousers available, Ralph Lauren does occasionally but, for about the same price I prefer to go to a tailor who can make a higher waist and a longer rise.

Feraud

Bartender
Evan Everhart said:
Fashion is Not what one must follow, but, one's own Personal Style - which, is developed over the years regardless of passing fads and trends and Horrid Horrid So-Called Fashions and Always looks good on YOU. If you have your own personal style which you've developed to look good on you and fit your lifestyle and likes and dislikes and body type, you will never feel let down by your clothing or look out of place because everyone else is wearing something different. Rather, you will look exactly like what you will be then, an individual, a maven even, perhaps! Someone who stands out of the crowd with panache and style. Men's clothing is about tradition and classical elegance and Male Presence. It is only a modern bastardization of Men's wear perpetrated by those who want to make a cheap product which wears out in a few years (and even if it doesn't, it will still look ugly outside of the ridiculous little vacuole of finite space and time in which it existed, that flash of a moment in which whatever monstrosity they foisted upon you was supposedly considered "Fashionable" even if not tasteful or elegant or anything else laudable.) The first step towards a personal style is to stop buying massed produced garments for the most part and instead, turn towards tailor crafted garments with the exception of quality mass produced garments which actually do suit your personal taste. Find a good tailor, see what you can see and do what you need to, to exercise your self expression! I was never happy with my clothing for the most part till I began to have it made for me. Its often reasonable enough if you look in the right places! By the by, you can blame Pierre Cardin etc., et all for modern men's wear being such mass produces low quality drivel. Even expensive suits today are made cheaply and out of cheap tissue fabrics which are marketed as if their flimsiness were a good selling point! Good gray flannels are impossible to find whether its at Brooks Brothers or Thom Browne or whatever other farcical mass producer of crackerjack menswear du jour is out there. Have it made by a good tailor and you will never be dissatisfied.
Most average joes cannnot or will not go the custom route.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Some examples of the Zegna light grey flannel suits from Spring '09:

Marc, you did it again, you made me want something that I can´t afford even on lease. Their spring/summer catalog 2009 contains at least four suits I need urgently.

So tommorow´s scheduel is clear - I must visit their shop in Prague and at least try these suits.
(I can imagine their faces, when a pennyless student walks in and wants to try everything...)

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been trying to attach the photos of Bookster's flannel cloth but I am unable to. Is there a workaround to this problem?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
theFatPack said:
I've been trying to attach the photos of Bookster's flannel cloth but I am unable to. Is there a workaround to this problem?
Upload your photos to a hosting site , then copy and paste them into your post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff