Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Light Grey Flannel Suit

Lawman

One of the Regulars
I'd love to have a light grey flannel suit. In a perfect world, I'd love to have one like they wore in teh 1940s, large in the legs, broad in the shoulder. On the internet, I've found one: a Samuelsohn that is $1,000.00. I'm not above paying that for a suit, but not for a Sammy, even though they are fine suits. I am assuming that MTM is the only way to go. I was hoping that Matt or some of the other guys could point me in the direction of some fabric and some possible tailors to do the garment.

Thanks!

Mark

Lawman

One of the Regulars
As far as bespoke goes, do you guys have any recommendations for tailors who are at least somewhat well versed in old school styles? I'd be looking for pretty high quality, full canvas and all, but not on the order of Oxxford, etc.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
While weight might be an issue, I would think that grey flannel fabric might be one of the easiest vintage style to still find. Am I right in that?

That should be no problem to find. Most tailors and clothiers should offer something along those lines in their MTM lines, and if you find the right one, it won't be that expensive -- and certainly not in the realm off Oxxford MTM, etc. There are a number of folks in NC/SC that should be able to accommodate, especially in the Raleigh area. You might check out Nowells or Chockey's, both on N. Market Drive in Raleigh, and both good stores for the area. There is Liles but, ehh, I personally wouldn't go there.

If you ever make it down to Charleston, come by 319 Men. I'd be happy to put you into an expertly crafted demi-measure light grey flannel for a nice price, and exactly to your specifications. I do have a nice, lighter weight worsted in a light gray in stock, and it has our signature trouser (fuller leg, kiss pleat across the front). It is ready-made, so just bear that in mind. (Sorry for the shameless plug! lol)

At any rate, you do have some options.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Charleston, great tips. Yes, I know Nowells and Chockey's well. Also Varsity Menswear. Varsity had several bolts of an incredibly rich light grey flannel that they were offering to makes suits of, but I arrived too late. Went like hotcakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner