Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Like, You know

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I will say this......blah, blah, blah, blah, blah......

I'm currently trying to ween myself off this nugget, used to announce to my groundbreaking thoughts. :eusa_doh:

While I've always used the phrase (in moderation) it seems to be popping out more and more, especially when cocktails are involved....:eek:

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Something that always grates with me, is people who end every sentence with, "you know what I mean?".

Yes, I do know what you mean, I did have an education, and from memory, it was on the Wednesday that I turned up for school!

Danny O

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
There are some sayings that I cannot seem to purge from my everyday use...no matter how hard I try. Here are a few of them. I catch myself saying these things many more times than I would like.
----
I reckon. ( Means: I believe. I think. Yes. Maybe. OK, but I don't really care.)

Jackie: Geoff, do you want to have fish or chicken for supper tonight?
Geoff: I reckon.

-----
What the (his/her) matter is. (Means: Problem. Issue. Complication. Illness.)

Please ask that witness to be quiet and see if he'll tell you what his matter is.

-----
Above. (Means: Beyond. Further than.)

The little roadhouse I'm talking about is a couple of miles above the I-95 intersection.

----
Below. (Means: Nearer to.)

Naw, the new school's gonna be just below I-95 intersection.

----
I understand. (Means: I don't understand. I don't believe you. I don't agree.)

Defendant: I was aiming in the other direction, and was just showing him that the gun would shoot, but the bullet must have ricocheted of the tree and hit him between the eyes. (Actual testimony from real case.)

Geoff: I understand.

----
Tell me that again! (Means: The same as "I understand", but with much greater emphsis.)

Defendant: We had just finished fussing, and she stood up and lost her balance and fell on my knife....twice. (More actual testimony from real case.)

Geoff: Tell me that again!!!

AF

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
I may eventually resort to violence when I've heard "small little" one too many times--
"the property has a small little lake on it..."
Somehow that's offensive, while "big huge" and "tiny little" are acceptable to me (as a method of emphasis.)

Pompidou

One Too Many
I used to say, "I could care less" when I meant "I couldn't care less". I also used to say, "For god sakes" instead of "For god's sake".

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am terrible. Being rural, I use very rural pronunciations of words when in casual situations.
Insurance is I-surance.
I also get constantly mocked for saying Libary.

Being from Kentucky, there were certain words that I said that no matter who I said them to, I nearly always was made fun of.

Here (her)
Right (righ)
Under (ughder)
hair (har)
oil (ol)

Etc.
Also Im from Louisville, and yes, I pronounce it correctly. ;)

LD

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This is one that you often hear on television, during those god-awful TV spots for new products or competitions for vacations or whatever.

"Extra added bonus".

A BONUS IS EXTRA AND ADDED. WE KNOW THAT.

Just. Say. 'Bonus'.

Please!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
There are some sayings that I cannot seem to purge from my everyday use...no matter how hard I try. Here are a few of them. I catch myself saying these things many more times than I would like.
----

What the (his/her) matter is. (Means: Problem. Issue. Complication. Illness.)

Please ask that witness to be quiet and see if he'll tell you what his matter is.

----

I would have thought that in a legal context that word would not have been unusual, as in "the legal matter at hand"

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
It is really hard to quit saying these words. The past few days I have made a concious effort to quit saying the work "like" and the phrase "you know." Even when I am talking to myself with no one around & cannot escape it. I pulled into the drivewayt he other day & I passed the mail lady on her way out. I got half way between my truck & the door when I realized I forgot to grab the mail. And I thought to myself "it's like I don't have a brain." I could of just said "as if I don't have a brain."

Does anyone else find it hard to quit saying these things?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Like.... who cares :yawn: :p

My pa and I say earl for oil.

Being from Kentucky, there were certain words that I said that no matter who I said them to, I nearly always was made fun of.

Here (her)
Right (righ)
Under (ughder)
hair (har)
oil (ol)

Etc.

LD

Jaguar66

A-List Customer

LD

I grew up in Hoptown.

No one has mentioned that most of the country speaks a language with no "ing" on the end of words. Listen and you will hear jumpin, runnin, laughin, cryin, with no "ing". Pronouncing jumping, running, lauging, crying, etc, has become almost nonexistent.

Another one I am hearing more and more, even on network TV is the misusage of went and gone. "He should have went to the store". Argh.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
"Like" was not part of my vocabulary growing up. But I still say "Ayuh" and "Yessah" and "Ain't that sumthin'" a lot, and as far as cussing goes, I don't think there's anyone alive who can out-foul my mother. Sailors, pirates, and drill sergeants blush when she opens her mouth.

You obviously never met my drill sergeants...lol

Growing up in the San Gabriel Valley, next to the San Fernando Valley, I used "like," "whatever," and other such valleyisms a lot while in my late-teens/early-twenties, until I heard the Frank Zappa song, "Valley Girl." It was then that I realized that I used valleyisms, and promptly changed to a rockabilly idiom...sort of. I still use "whatever" from time to time.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This was a David Lee Roth flubb during an interview in which he announced reuniting with Van Halen for a comeback tour. You should see the whole thing - he sounded like he was out of his mind. lol

Doesn't he always? I remember one night on The Tonight Show he was so tweaked that Robin Williams was suggesting he go to rehab immediately.

Juliet

A-List Customer
I don't mind dialects, but the excessive use of "you know" just drives me crazy. No, I don't know! That's why I'm talking to you! (See? Drives me crazy lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran