Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Limited Edition Stetson Hat 1940

Legal Concepts

One of the Regulars
I think I rather wear a Hoss hat from bonanza, wow, they are rare too.
As small as this hat is it is labeled a medium and is made of 100% wool and is tan in color and exactly as worn by 'Hoss" on BONANZA.
A true rarity as 1000's of hats may have been made and survived but only a handful of samples would have been required and it is doubtful any, like this one, are still around.

www.stairstars.com/hoss_hat.html

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
This is in fact a very rare hat . I had emailed the owner and was willing to pay 500.00 for it but he wan't interested . This hat was made in the late 1930's out of Ermine fur . They only made 10 of them . I have seen one other in an antique store in California years ago .
I don't think that Hatco themselves know about this hat .:cool2:

hats4me said:
I am by no means promoting this hat, just saw it and thought it interesting. Please accept my apology.

My word, no apology needed. We had a butter dish posted here last week! Honestly. These are the things we're interested in.

Clearly absurdly priced. But someone would be prepared to pay for it, i guess. A collectible and all that Jazz. Interesting to see what these things are worth. You never know what you'll stumble across in a thrift store ...

bk

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Good Post hats4m3

Hats4me, thanks for posting the thread, just think of all the great hats you could get for that kind of money, instead of just one hat in a suitcase. Peter :cool:

In all this hat bidding excitement I lost count was was it four or five fedoras I won. You got to ask yourself do you feel lucky well do ya bidder? :rolleyes:

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I thought I had seen several post concerning the activity on eBay. I was suprised to see my thread had been moved, as if I had committed a sin. Oh well, no biggy, I guess someone knows best.
As to the size, I have been aware for most of my life the changes in the stature of modern man. I am 6'2" and am quite the average height in todays world. My Grandfather was 6'2" and considered a very tall man in his day. Just an observation.
You are quite right, one could buy at least 9 hats for that money. Even with the current frenzy:cheers1:

A hat like that is kind of like a rare vintage automobile in unrestored, good-as-new condition. It's too valuable and irreplaceable to use, even under ideal conditions, so it becomes a museum piece of sorts. The only people who would even consider such a purchase are either 1) rich, or 2) committed aficiondos who are willing to forego other things for the sake of possessing such an item. It's good to see that such things still exist, and I trust that whoever eventually adds it to his collection will preserve it.

ii-5-i

New in Town
Spare me please

If this hat hasn't been bought after three tries on ebay the owner should donate it to a charity auction of his choice in the Miami area. Perhaps a wealthy ex-Cubano ( and God bless them, there are many ) would spring for that kind of dough. I don't think that even a native born, wealthy hat collector would be impressed by the provenance of this hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic