Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen Summer Jacket?

Mich486

One Too Many
When is really hot in summer shorts are an obvious choice for me. I grew up wearing them and everybody around me did it. I can’t imagine a hot summer day in long trousers, why would you do that to you?!

There are good and bad shorts and people can look good or bad like they can with all clothing IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mich486

One Too Many
Here is an example of someone who is rocking a good pair of shorts:

dd752a56b2cbb3187669355054b93f05.jpg

Bennarion

One Too Many
Is that photo meant to show shorts as a good thing or bad?

I'm not surprised at anti-short feelings, like some other clothing items shorts are contentious. Always have been.

And I can't imagine wearing them in summer. The sun would burn my skin off.
I believe that every one's point of view on this account. So we do what it likes :)

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Surely shorts are the next hipster thing? Right now, they've got a bad image, but all it takes is a Japanese faux heritage brand to reintroduce them for them to be unquestionably the next must have item!
I'm gonna invest in shorts right now!

Mich486

One Too Many
IMHO you are making it too complicated. When it’s summer and it’s hot in my free time during the day I wear shorts. Seems like the natural thing to do.

Just don’t do this and I don’t think anybody can really look that terrible :D

b77b919975ac572d737df5874c48dc45.jpg

When is really hot in summer shorts are an obvious choice for me. I grew up wearing them and everybody around me did it. I can’t imagine a hot summer day in long trousers, why would you do that to you?!

There are good and bad shorts and people can look good or bad like they can with all clothing IMHO.

I agree. While I certainly prefer pants/jeans some climates absolutely require shorts to be a part of the wardrobe. Chino-type dressier shorts work for me. I can't imagine spending a day on a south Florida beach boardwalk during the summer in anything else. By midday the BO would drive the ladies away lol. It's been over 90 degrees here and with the humidity it feels over 100. Today it cooled to a high of 88. Hell...no.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Nah, I'm tall and handsome. But that's not why I bagged a rich younger wife. That was because of my great personality.

I guess a lot of you guys aren't disgusted by your own appearance.

Look at it this way-- I do not have to look like an Adonis, I just have to look better than the mopes around me. Much easier to pull it off lol.

Edward

Bartender
Totally agree. Adult men in shorts make me shudder - especially if they are tailored. Creepy and ugly to my eye. I live in a very hot place in summer. 115 degrees. I always wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt. Usually black. I have never had a problem with this and I walk everywhere, even in the blazing sun. I think desert Arabs got it right. Cover up. For a jacket some summer mornings I wear work wear unlined utility jackets like Dickies Eisenhower jackets.

My hatred of short trousers is purely an aesthetic thing (and possibly that is in part informed by having come from a culture and time in which you didn't generally see adult men in shorts in the Summer much; my dad's generation, who came of age in the sixties, still saw their first pair of long trousers as a rite of passage into manhood; I don't recall ever seeing my dad in shorts in my lifetime). It's personal - if other folks want to wear them, good luck to them; I will, however, never accept any claim that they are 'necessary' due to heat. A full trouser of a light weight cotton, or a linen trouser, will always be superior in temrs of keepnig cool, and sun protection. I agree with you about the Arabs entirely: in addition, I also know at least two people who contracted severe skin cancers as a result of seeing shorts as an answer to the Sun. and they were both in the north of Ireland.

A linen mix jacket
http://www.ladeutschediva.com/sale/ralph-lauren-lichen-malden-cotton-linen-jacket-mens-lichen/
Ahem..on a separate note I have started wearing these kaftans indoors as I detest hot weather.So cheap and so comfortable.

I've often considered a pair of Hakama pants for a similar approach. Or Indian-style pyjamas, though I'm wary of it being misinterpreted as mockery or cultural appropriation in my area.

Quite surprised by all the anti-shorts sentiment in this thread. When it comes to summer heat, I'm about comfort. Have for years worn only shorts once the day-time high hits 80. Still do so and I'm a 65 year-old guy.

It's something that comes up almost annually in vintage circles, and usually divides into extremc camps. If people like and want to wear them, fair enough; I'll decline to listen to claims of practicality, though, as they're not the only way to deal with the heat. But again, persaonal choice.

Umm. I kind of surprised by the reaction to shorts too. Try an Asian summer without them, you'll change your mind.
I think it depends on the style and the whole look. Khaki loose shorts above the knee with a linen shirt is very cool, practical and smart.
I think that a lot depends on your overt 'masculinity' (for want of a better expression). If you're young, short, chubby (or painfully thin) or boyish looking, then it can look childish.
Like all distinctive looks, you need an air of casual assured confidence, or shorts will wear you, and everyone will know.

Aesthetics aside, you really do have to own your look whatever you pick. There's a world of difference between a guy in a kilt and a Sassenach at a wedding who can't get past the "look at me, I'm wearing a skirt!" japery.

earl

A-List Customer
The strangest practice I've witnessed involving shorts is a common one where I live in Kansas: guys from teens through 40's going into WalMart on days in the low 30's wearing winter weight fleece on top and gym shorts below. Not only is that fashion-challenged but, more importantly, that is logic-challenged.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I wore jeans and engineer boots in 114 degree heat and was fine because the jeans we're relatively light as was the shirt. If I could survive that, then there is no reason for me to wear shorts ever (aside from at the gym or swimming.)

earl

A-List Customer
Edward, unfortunately, my dad died when I was young and have too few memories of him. Though I grew up in a very small farming community where most guys were farmers as was my dad. Given the nature of the work, they didn't wear shorts. He came of age, though, around 1930. I came of age late 60's-early 70's and shorts were certainly common then. When it comes to the early 60's, however, that seemed to be the age of Bermuda shorts, which I've never liked myself. As I type this I'm wearing white golfing shorts and a plain, pale grey T-shirt, (no graphics on T's for me). Quite comfy.;)

I wore jeans and engineer boots in 114 degree heat and was fine because the jeans we're relatively light as was the shirt. If I could survive that, then there is no reason for me to wear shorts ever (aside from at the gym or swimming.)

LA heat a bit different than tropical Miami heat. You can do it, but certain areas will get swampy and you will probably be the only bubba in pants at some venues. In some cases, I am that lone guy, I do prefer pants and wearing jackets. Certainly one of the very few harley riders in a leather jacket during the summers down here. But its tough.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
LA heat a bit different than tropical Miami heat. You can do it, but certain areas will get swampy and you will probably be the only bubba in pants at some venues. In some cases, I am that lone guy, I do prefer pants and wearing jackets. Certainly one of the very few harley riders in a leather jacket during the summers down here. But its tough.
I am definitely lucky to not have humidity issues here. It absolutely helps.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
I've often considered a pair of Hakama pants for a similar approach. Or Indian-style pyjamas, though I'm wary of it being misinterpreted as mockery or cultural appropriation in my area.
I'm reminded of David Lean's Lawrence Of Arabia.An Army Sergeant makes the hackneyed "What do you think you look like" observation on Lawrence's Arab dress.I have my own opinion on who looks elegant and sophisticated.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I wore shorts in elementary school and junior high it was the school uniform, so at home i wore shorts too, in highschool we got trousers with our uniform and i stopped wearing shorts, i kind of see it as symbol of being grown up, also leg hair and shorts .... personally i find it underdressed and i dont even want to see myself in the mirror that way

I can't stand the sight of my hairy legs either as it is a deeply grotesque visage that I wouldn't want to bestow upon any living creature, myself included. Men are horrid looking creatures and blessed are the few fully awoken to this fact.

In other news, I think my linen trucker jacket quest is over. I've got three on the way which should take care of this, and any impending, summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran