Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liner removed in anger

deanzat

One of the Regulars
In a fit of pique, I just yanked the liner out of my Fed IV Deluxe. (It kept sticking to my head and flopping around). Liners in my other hats are fine and seen to stay in place.

Are there potential negative consequences to this action? Does the fact that I'm bald as a cue ball bode ill or well for a linerless hat?

Thanks, Z

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
That plastic liner top acts like a greenhouse roof. I tore mine out on an extremely humid day last summer and my only regret was not doing it sooner. No drawbacks and more comfortable in all seasons.

Corky

Practically Family
When I get a new hat...

When I get a new hat, the first thing I do is to remove the liner.

Today I spent all day in the open sun on a ranch in Southern California wearing a beaver felt Resistol with the lining removed and was perfectly comfortable in spite of the heat and glaring sunlight.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
OK spring is on its way

Does it really make the much difference?

I never thought about it, but I have some light felts that I wear in the transition from cool to hot ... before bringing out the straws and putting away the good felts for the summer

So, will removing the liner lead to less sweat stains?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Sam Craig said:
OK spring is on its way

Does it really make the much difference?

I never thought about it, but I have some light felts that I wear in the transition from cool to hot ... before bringing out the straws and putting away the good felts for the summer

So, will removing the liner lead to less sweat stains?

Possibly. Depends on how sensitive you are to heat. But removing a liner can add a few degrees of comfort. The biggest difference will be if the liner has a plastic cap. I take my liiners out carefully so that I can tuck them back in with ease for winter use.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Art Fawcett's lightweight felts usually don't have a liner, but they do have a pad at the top for sweat. That seems to work pretty well.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Thanks, all. I've been wearing the hat today and while I haven't noticed any temperature differences, it really is nice to not have a droopy liner on my scalp, or sagging out of the hat when I doff it.

I always cut the plastic bit out, but my other liners are well behaved, stay in place and do not bother me. In fact, the red liner on my Stylemaster is quite stunning. I'm just glad to know I'm not likely to have harmed the Fed by removing its liner.

Thanks again, Z

JimWagner

Practically Family
If your hat is a light color, say Silverbelly, and has no liner and you are bald on top, like me, then you'll likely get a dark sweat stain on the crown of the hat.

I just had a liner put in a Stetson after cleaning it to combat that very issue.

Dark colors, not so much of a problem.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
JimWagner said:
If your hat is a light color, say Silverbelly, and has no liner and you are bald on top, like me, then you'll likely get a dark sweat stain on the crown of the hat.

I just had a liner put in a Stetson after cleaning it to combat that very issue.

Dark colors, not so much of a problem.
That's exactly what happens to an open road with no liner.Had that happen to many of them in my lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy