Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liquid Eyeliner and other Makeup Conundrums

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
I've recently gone back to using liquid liner but previosly I used eyeshadow mixed with water to make a bit of a paste and then used a very small brush with the brittles cut on an angle (it came with a 'Hard Candy' eyeshaw compact) to apply it to my upper lash line. The problem I find with most liquid liners is that the brushes have too long a brittle and so less control. I've just stared using liquid again as the eyeshadow tends to smudge very easily. The liner I use now is a gem that I found in the markets for £1.50 whose brush is more like a felt tip pen that dips into the liquid - amazing control and so cheap!

I had quite dark auburn hair and I love my red lippy - I like quite solid reds more towards the pinky side than orange as those make me look very ill! My hairdresser recently said that previosly he'd thought only darker skins could wear such a strong red but that I'd surprised him! Bold is better!

atomicfabulous

New in Town
hooded eyes

I recently switched from pencil to liquid...I have a hard time wearing makeup on my lids, as I have hooded eyelids (when my eyes are open you can't see my lids). Liquid eyeliner seems to flake off and pencil eyeliner runs, eyeshadow builds up in my creases. Does anyone else have this issue, and how do you combat it? I have been trying various drug store brands, and I have not found the perfect product yet. Also, I have been to Ulta and they just told me to use eyelid primer, which doesn't seem to hold up either.[huh]

fleur

One of the Regulars
I have hooded lids and I ALWAYS use FY Eye by Benefit. Keeps my eye make up in place all night (as recently attested at our xmas ball).

I use a jet black eye shadow with water to use as a liner.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
thebadmamajama said:
I just have to say that I just tried on Revlon's colorstay overtime lipcolor in On-Going Flame and, I have found my red. THANK YOU. :)
In your avatar, it looks like you've got red hair...is that so? My hair has A LOT of red in it also, and I find that when choosing a red shade, I've been having very poor luck at it :(

atomicfabulous

New in Town
fleur said:
I have hooded lids and I ALWAYS use FY Eye by Benefit. Keeps my eye make up in place all night (as recently attested at our xmas ball).

I use a jet black eye shadow with water to use as a liner.

Thanks fleur, I will definitely be checking it out!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
In your avatar, it looks like you've got red hair...is that so? My hair has A LOT of red in it also, and I find that when choosing a red shade, I've been having very poor luck at it

Yes, my dear! A redhead through and through. And BTB's suggestion was really helpful--it's red but it's also very fiery/warm--perfect for the skin tone! :) I love it!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I have pale skin too, and blonde hair and I wear black liquid liner everyday no matter where I'm going, Marilyn Monroe style (only on the top lid, with a little tick at the outer corner). Liquid eyeliner is much better than pencil - it lasts all day and doesn't smudge or fade, and gives a stronger look. Also I apply my usual foundation and powder to my lids for even skintone all over. The liner I recommend is by Rimmel London, it's called Exaggerate Eyeliner in 100% black. The tip of the brush is stiff like a felt-tip pen so you can just draw the line on easily, unlike floppy brushes which slide all over the place. You can put it on before or after eyeshadow (I always do it before and put a little black shadow over it to soften the line). Seriously, when you do it often enough it gets super easy! If you have pale colouring, don't line under the eyes, instead whiten out your bottom lashes with white mascara/eyeshadow/translucent powder and apply two coats of mascara to the top lashes for the wide-eyed Marilyn look. Use a white liner in the inner corners and you'll have huge sexy eyes. Wearing this look without dark eyeshadows is subtle enough for full-on red lips (btw I find Besame's Cherry Red works well with rosy skin, as it doesn't emphasise redness in the face).

Sorry about the long post, but I LOVE sharing make-up tips!:D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I use a pencil liner - Revlon's sepia tone. I have a couple of liquid liners at home, but they always end up looking way scary on me, for some reason. I always apply my liner before my eyeshadow, to soften it a bit.

As far as lipsticks, I have to avoid blue-reds. I have auburn hair, freckles, and fair warm skin with brown eyes. The best reds for me are brownish or orangey reds. Right now I am in love with L'Oreal's Leading Lady Red from the LE Scarlett line they had out earlier this year. I also really like Estee Lauder's Neiman Marcus Red, and Revlon's Racy Red, although it is a bit of a frost. I'm wearing Racy Red in my avatar, although you can barely see it.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Sleepy eye tip from Katiemakeup...

Thank you, Thank you! I'm not experienced with makeup but I used your tip and it helped a great deal. I will be referring back to this post because of all the great tips!

Take care,
Shellie

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
another tip for sleepy eyes is to use a white eyeshadow at the inside corners of them...this will give your eyes the illusion that they appear more awake.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm thinking of dyeing my hair red, (I already have incredibly pale, pink-pink skin and green eyes so it should be convincing) so I'm reading these makeup tricks for redheads with great interest.

Are there shades of red lipstick a redhead just can't wear? Colors that just don't work? I'd be so grateful to know the pitfalls ahead of time.

Viola

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Viola said:
I'm thinking of dyeing my hair red, (I already have incredibly pale, pink-pink skin and green eyes so it should be convincing) so I'm reading these makeup tricks for redheads with great interest.

Are there shades of red lipstick a redhead just can't wear? Colors that just don't work? I'd be so grateful to know the pitfalls ahead of time.

Viola

Well you should definitely stay away from anything orange based, unless you like the Ronald McDonald look!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I have green eyes and wear contacts, so a smudge proof/waterproof eyeliner is a must for me. It also has to be appropriate for contact wearers. The one I'm using right now is a black/brown. It resembles a felt tip marker. For some reason, I can get my right eye done perfectly the first time. (I'm right handed!) Left eye always seems to be..... eh, not so good. I've tried doing the left first, going slow, going fast, doing it in little bits, doing it all at once. Nothing's working. I used to be fine with the eyeliner about a year ago, but then the drugstore stopped selling that kind. I've tried about 6-8 other kinds, and that's when the left eye problem started.

Any ideas?

JazzBaby

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
My hair is naturally red, my skin is the palest and pink, too, and my eyes are hazel AND I prefer orange lipsticks. Even when I wear red shoes, no one has accused me of having the Ronald McDonald look. :rolleyes:

Sorry! Maybe it's just me???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic