Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Little House on the Prairie

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I loved that series. I'd never realized it was based on a book series until I was in the 4th grade and the teacher read it to the class. It really is a classic. I think I will reread it, and perhaps make sure my daughter has copies when she's old enough to read them. (She's only 2 now.)

Happy birthday, Laura Ingalls Wilder. She shares this day with Charles Dickens, this is the 200th anniversary of his birth.

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
I first read the entire Little House series when I was in Third Grade. I loved the story of Laura and her family so much I practically wore out the books. Still have them too!

Flicka

One Too Many
My mother read those books to me and my older sister before I turned four. She read the entire series to us once a year until I was seven and managed to read them myself. Then I read them once a year until I was in my late teens. I love those books!

Mum likes to tell the story of how she read the part where Jack
dies and she was sniffling, my sister was crying and I BAWLED. :)

ETA: didn't care for the tv-series one bit though, save the pilot. It had nothing to do with the books, save the names of the characters, IMO.

Last edited:

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I loved the book and the series. I read them all to my girls by the time the oldest one was 6 and I own all the seasons.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My third grade teacher read the entire series aloud to us, in half-hour installments, every day after recess. Took her pretty much the whole year to get thru Big Woods, Prairie, Plum Creek, Silver Lake, and Long Winter. This was long before the TV series, and when I saw the TV show I didn't particularly like it because the actors didn't look anything like I'd imagined the characters to look.

The books, by the way, were a Depression-era phenomenon -- something about the whole pioneers-making-do saga really touched a note with the kids of the early thirties, and Mrs. Wilder became a very wealthy woman.

Last edited:

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Since the series started in 1974, I had been watching the series as a child for several years before I could read at the level of the books so I am sure that is why I enjoyed both very much. It was probably 78-79 before I read all the books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy