Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LizzieMaine on TV

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Anybody in the Philly area --

History Detectives is coming on on July 2nd at 9pm on WHYY 12. There were no details about the episode on my On Demand guide, but I'm hoping it's this one! I set a reminder.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
It was a great guest spot. Did anyone else see how they tried raising the "drama" by acting like there wasn't ANY "Amos & Andy" radio shows available? I mean, the "detective" went and watched the TV show. He could have Googled "Amos and Andy" and found many free radio shows online or went to Borders and bought a "Radio Spirits" collection.

It was AMAZING how Lizzie nailed the time frame of the episode. Outstanding.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just caught it on WNJM last night at 8 PM. I'm sure it will be rerun often by various PBS stations. Amos and Andy certainly push buttons for people.
Lizzie, I can understand how having your name mangled twice on national TV could be mildly irksome. For the record it's "McCloud", right?
Where was that outdoor street scene shot, in Rockland? And even if it wasn't mentioned, you clearly looked like a true vintage gal all the way.
Very impressive performance! Congrats!
One more question. I heard a promo spot for A&A on Rich Conaty's Big Broadcast many years ago. They're talking about the upcoming election, with "Al Smith Vesuvius Herbert Hoover". This has to be 1928. That's why I immediately knew the voices on the recording were authentic. How much other stuff like this is out there?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yes, it's pronounced "McLoud," just like the horse-riding '70s TV cop. For some reason though, it's a very counter-intuitive name to pronounce...

The outdoor shots were done on a side street in Harlem -- a neighborhood which architecturally reminded me a lot of Rockland, except the sidewalks are as wide as our entire Main Street.

The A&A recording you're thinking of is a Victor record called "The Presidential Election." Correll and Gosden made a bunch of these in 1928-30, little short comic sketches which show up fairly often in old-time-radio circles, but usually without attribution so collectors have no idea what they're actually hearing -- they aren't actual broadcasts, nor were they intended for broadcast use. Earlier, in 1926-27, the performers made a similar series of Victor records as Sam 'n' Henry, and these also turn up fairly often.

Jovan

Suspended
Yeah, I was surprised the host didn't narrate something like, "A historian of this time, McCloud sure looks the part as a classic '40s gal." He should have! ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Harlem!

Shucks, had I but knew. I work at 125th and Lenox. I'd have shown you the sights.
I think a lot of Scottish names started out very differently from the current pronunciation. Your name might have been originally "Mac Lay Odd".
The founder of Lockheed Aircraft originally spelled it Loughead (pronounced "Lockheed"), and changed the spelling because he got tired of being called "lug head".

Starius

Practically Family
Man, our PBS station just aired that quite a few times:

* Sat, June 30, 2007 7:00 PM
* Sat, June 30, 2007 10:00 PM
* Fri, June 29, 2007 9:00 PM
* Wed, June 27, 2007 2:00 PM
* Wed, June 27, 2007 7:00 PM

And I still didn't see it.
Looks like its not on our rotating block again till after August at the very least.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I came late to watching History Detectives and have been keeping my eye out for this episode for a number of months. Finally caught it tonight, and well done Lizzie! Obviously, they came to the right person.

And luckily my fella let me switch off the Patriots-Jags game long enough to watch :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The McLeods, Macleods, or however you spell 'em, seem to be hip deep in tartans.
tartan.jpg

Ruari Halford-Macleod, a writer, of Fife, Scotland, offers this booklet over at his website.
The yellow based plaid is the most commonly seen one, and, I imagine, quite fetching on fair skinned brunettes. ;)

Cigarband

A-List Customer
LIZZIEMAINE ON PBS

I just saw a repeat of PBS "History Detectives" from 6/25/07.
They were investigating an amateur recording of the "Amos & Andy" Radio show. The Radio Expert who aided in the story was our own LizzieMaine! She was brilliant on camera, and really demonstrated what a vintage radio maven she is.
And she is a stunning looking woman. Her avatar pic doesn't begin to do her justice. A Titian-haired beauty, and outstanding authority in her field. I am honored to be in the same lounge. Thank you LizzieMaine.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider