Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean Signature

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
This sub-brand reminds me of Penny's American Living, i.e. vintage looking modern clothes for not alot of $$$.

Some of the items come from Bean's older catalogs - like the field jacket ('47) and plaid stag ('65).

The canvas reminds me of the Barracuta G-9 but at half the price. Might pick one up for fall. Always wanted a G-9 but couldn't justify the price.

http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignature/llb/shop/505929?page=outerwear&subrnd=1

Picture-9.png

CLShaeffer

New in Town
I poked through the signature site when it was mentioned here a while back.

For the most part there isn't anything in the collection for me. Its a nice look, but none of it really fits here in the tropics. I do like how "retro" style these days is echoing the early 20th century. Its not the same, really, but the echo is kind of fun. It'll be (poof!) gone before you know it, though. Unless you live in the Western Pacific Northwest, US; they've been dressing that way for years. Portland more than Seattle, but the close fitted retro look has taken root there. (And they didn't pay those kinds of prices for their clothes...)

I like the cotton madras shirt now that its on sale.... might pick one up. I did pick up the Safari hat. Exactly my style and kind of a works-in-most-situations (that I'm in, at least) kind of hat. Being a fairly small fellow the 2" brim works pretty well. Wish it were 2 1/2" but the only one I found that I liked was the Orvis hat with 'Orvis!' boldly embroidered on the side. No thanks.

Javelina

New in Town
I own the medium Downeaster Sport Bag ($64) and I'm happy with it. It's a blue canvas duffel bag with metal zippers and a plaid lining. Well made and worth the money. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box.

I ordered the leather Vacation Bag and it had to go back. It was fine, but nothing special for $225. To me, it felt very "made in China" and that's generally not a good thing. It was something I would expect from J Crew but not LL Bean.

The Signature line is a good idea for LL Bean. Their normal clothes are baggy and not that stylish. I like their no-shrink t-shirts, but even the mediums are too big on me and I'm 5'11" 180 lb w/a 16.5" neck. It's really puzzling. So I doubt their normal clothes appeal to younger people, which is obviously Signature's target audience. So far the execution has been spotty. Jury is still out.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I like the 3/4 length trench coat, but not the style the guy is wearing with it. To informal for a trench. But the coat is nice and a good price to.

Still, give me a Bogart style trench anyday of the week... meh, maybe not tuesdays.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I like the 3/4 length trench coat, but not the style the guy is wearing with it. To informal for a trench. But the coat is nice and a good price to.

Still, give me a Bogart style trench anyday of the week... meh, maybe not tuesdays.

Agreed. A trench coat with informal clothing makes me think of a flasher!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn