Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lock & Co.

Anyone know how to put an estimated date to this? The liner appears to be stuck to the factory sticker and I am afraid to pull on it.

View attachment 558798

View attachment 558799

View attachment 558803

Stingy!

View attachment 558804

View attachment 558805

a View attachment 558806

View attachment 558807

View attachment 558808

Side seam:

View attachment 558809

View attachment 558810
That's a nice one, Bob. And older one too it seems. Both the finish of the felt and the way the sweatband is done suggests an older date, although not pre-war I think. Forties or early fifties maybe? The labels on these hats won't tell us anything; they stayed the same throughout.

That's a nice one, Bob. And older one too it seems. Both the finish of the felt and the way the sweatband is done suggests an older date, although not pre-war I think. Forties or early fifties maybe? The labels on these hats won't tell us anything; they stayed the same throughout.

Thanks Stefan. It’s confusing as this one dated 1970 is pretty similar (but doesn’t appear to have the logo on the sweatband).

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-lock-co-bowler.77872/

bellatrix

New in Town
I have a few Lock&Co hats. They are nice enough hats, at least the vintage ones are. From what I gather Christys makes their hats now and they just style them. Buying one new in their shop now gets you the experience of having been in the oldest hat shop still in existence in the world and the experience of paying a few hundred pounds too much for a hat that's of mediocre quality at best.
What do you suggest instead?

NYC. $4-500.
I live on the west coast so more familiar with custom hatters out my way. For that money both Northwest Hats (Eugene) and Michael Gannon (N Cali) can make you a hat from 100% American made beaver felt. Both are master hatters at the top of their game.

With Gannon you can specify the feel of the felt and he will deliver it......firm or vintage softness. I own a dozen hats of theirs and all are brilliant. I am a custom hatter in Canada, a collector of custom, contemporary and vintage hats and you cannot go wrong with these two hatters.

bellatrix

New in Town
I live on the west coast so more familiar with custom hatters out my way. For that money both Northwest Hats (Eugene) and Michael Gannon (N Cali) can make you a hat from 100% American made beaver felt. Both are master hatters at the top of their game.

With Gannon you can specify the feel of the felt and he will deliver it......firm or vintage softness. I own a dozen hats of theirs and all are brilliant. I am a custom hatter in Canada, a collector of custom, contemporary and vintage hats and you cannot go wrong with these two hatters.
Thanks! I was looking for Panama though. Not beaver.

SUBDVR

New in Town
I picked up a new Worth & Worth - Orlando Palacios hat off Ebay. It is a $700 hat. It is a nice hat but not worth that kind of money. Nice felt but very soft and floppy (european hare not beaver), mediocre sweat band, cheap poly ribbon.....decent build quality. If you plan to spend anything over $500 go custom instead.
Hello,
New to the Lounge... Adding to my collection ..... Today just received a Worth & Worth Siena Brown w/ wide brown band .... just steamed and blocked open crown .... It has been neglected by previous owners (and couple of small pits but not obvious) ... Hat seems to have very nice feel and responed well to tea kettle steam ....... Picked it up for $50 + shipping ..... Before I made offer, I looked up price on W&W website ($450) ...... The one I purchased also has a trolley cord, but the covered button was damaged ..... Maybe I will post a pic after I finish my restoration tasks .... BTW: I've been looking for an old Stratoliner, but bought an Akubra Campdraft? based on info from this site ..... the custome rep at David Morgan was very responsive and price of hat was $180 + $9 shipping ..... Looks like nice hat for the price ..... I will receive it next week ..... SubDvr out ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner